Author Topic: Tiger fan diary: Richmond finals win would end years of torment (Herald-Sun)  (Read 629 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger fan diary: Richmond finals win would end years of torment

Al Paton
Herald-Sun
September 11, 2015

THE torture is about to end. Or get a whole lot worse. For Richmond fans, there is no in between.

All this week I’ve been tormented by conflicting emotions. Usually it goes like this:

1. Excitement at making the top eight again.

2. Anticipation of being part of an 80,000-plus crowd at the MCG on Sunday.

3. Optimism as I contemplate the finals draw, which pits the winner on Sunday against most likely a depleted Sydney then possibly Hawthorn in a preliminary final — that’s one win from a Grand —

4. Hang on, we’re playing North Melbourne this week. We don’t play that well against North.

5. Surely Richmond couldn’t get knocked out of the finals in the first week three years in a row ... could they?

6. Nerves, nerves, nerves.

People who don’t barrack for Richmond don’t understand.

It’s been 14 years since we saw our team win a final. Melbourne has won two finals in that time. Melbourne.

Two years ago Richmond finished fifth and played ninth-placed Carlton in an elimination final. The Tigers kicked the first goal after halftime to lead by 32 points then imploded. I walked out of the MCG as Blues fans started those painfully arrogant first bars of their song.

Last year I made the trip to watch Richmond’s finals hopes be blown off Adelaide Oval in the first 15 minutes. It was a long, quiet bus ride home.
And not this.

Dimma says this year is different. The team is more mature. It is more consistent. And it has one of the best defences in the AFL — led by its best defender, Alex Rance.

But the inescapable fact remains, this is Richmond.

Against the Kangaroos last year Richmond led by 35 points at halftime before conceding eight goals in 19 minutes.

In 2012 — the last time these teams played at the MCG — Richmond lost by four points after Kelvin Moore suffered temporary blindness, played on from full-back and was run down by Drew Petrie three metres from the goalsquare.

Barracking for this team teaches you to not take anything for granted.

But it makes you very resilient. And when the drought breaks, the Tiger Army in full voice will be something to behold.

I’ll just be happy when it’s all over.

Go Tiges.

http://www.news.com.au/national/tiger-fan-diary-richmond-finals-win-would-end-years-of-torment/story-e6frfkp9-1227522888960