Author Topic: Fitness coach Peter Burge [merged]  (Read 17748 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Fitness coach Peter Burge [merged]
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2014, 10:37:15 PM »
Wouldn't think the heat would have anything to do with it

We have that heat room at the Club, so they are supposedly conditioned for it

Tonight was IMHO more about what was going on above the shoulders not about their conditioning
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2014, 10:44:14 PM »
Get rid of him and his son.

As I said during the game and a million other times, fitness staff is as useless as ever - has been since the mid-80's
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

tony_montana

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2014, 10:46:13 PM »

Tonight was IMHO more about what was going on above the shoulders not about their conditioning

heart not heat  ;D

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2014, 10:47:15 PM »

As I said during the game and a million other times, fitness staff is as useless as ever - has been since the mid-80's

Vickery's father isn't the fitness guy, certainly isn't the head of fitness. His old man is the boxing coach which is ironic in itself.

Tyrone built like Tarzan plays like Jane so when it comes boxing I reckon I'd have a better left hook
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 11:26:19 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2014, 11:22:10 PM »

Vickery's father isn't the fitness guy, certainly isn't the head of fitness. His old man is the boxing coach which is ironic in itself.

Tyrone bout like Tarzan plays like Jane so when it comes boxing I reckon I'd have a better left hook

I know he isn't the head - was using artistic licence.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2014, 07:56:17 PM »
So according the commentary on the Carlton -Port match apparently White was the #1 runner & endurance athlete at Richmond and is not even in the top half-dozen at Port.

Says it all really.....
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 08:11:34 PM by Diocletian »

- Thomas Sowell

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2014, 08:10:15 PM »
Interesting that they are saying Matt White was our best runner at the club, he is not even in the top 6 at Port.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

1980 I Was There

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2014, 08:32:17 PM »

Yeah you're right it wasn't the heat as it was only about 24 degrees.

Even if the players are super fit, the humidity can really take it out of you, and the humidity was high enough to do that. The humidity was in the mid 70's.

I have just moved from QLD, was there for thirty years and it takes a fair while to become used to it.

A heat room wouldn't do jack Sh!!t because the body isn't conditioned to work that way.

Time is what is needed to acclimatise to differing conditions of weather.

Although lack of being able to run (fitness wise) is not why we lost it was the poor disposals. Humidity can change the way a player is able to handle the ball. The ball can be sticky and then slip around a lot.

I would say that the players knew this or felt this and didn't know how to adapt, hence one of the reasons why we lost.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2014, 09:24:08 PM »

Even if the players are super fit, the humidity can really take it out of you, and the humidity was high enough to do that. The humidity was in the mid 70's.

I have just moved from QLD, was there for thirty years and it takes a fair while to become used to it.

A heat room wouldn't do jack Sh!!t because the body isn't conditioned to work that way.

Although lack of being able to run (fitness wise) is not why we lost it was the poor disposals. Humidity can change the way a player is able to handle the ball. The ball can be sticky and then slip around a lot.

I would say that the players knew this or felt this and didn't know how to adapt, hence one of the reasons why we lost.

Can't buy into your argument blaming the weather and conditions in any way, shape or form.  I'll use data from Melbourne (Olympic Park) and Sydney (Olympic Park) from Friday night as an example (Sat night it was raining so not fair - apples to apples).  At 7.00pm in Melbourne it was 21.5 degrees, 16.9 degrees Dew Point, 75% Relative Humidity and 7kph wind.  In Sydney on Friday night at 7.00pm it was 23.9 degrees, 18.5 degrees Dew Point, 73% Relative Humidity and 13kph wind.  Gold Coast last night was 24.2 degrees, 17.9 degrees Dew Point, 68% Relative Humidity and 24kmh winds.  So there was factually much more likelihood of humidity and dew in Melbourne or Sydney at game start than the Gold Coast last night.  But if we had played the game in Melbourne or Sydney and played the same way then no-one would have given the conditions a second thought.  So I say again, it's a cheap p-weak cop out blaming the conditions to excuse a p-poor effort.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2014, 09:41:29 PM »
So according the commentary on the Carlton -Port match apparently White was the #1 runner & endurance athlete at Richmond and is not even in the top half-dozen at Port.

Says it all really.....
This.  We really need better fitness staff.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

1980 I Was There

« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2014, 09:49:48 PM »

Can't buy into your argument blaming the weather and conditions in any way, shape or form.  I'll use data from Melbourne (Olympic Park) and Sydney (Olympic Park) from Friday night as an example (Sat night it was raining so not fair - apples to apples).  At 7.00pm in Melbourne it was 21.5 degrees, 16.9 degrees Dew Point, 75% Relative Humidity and 7kph wind.  In Sydney on Friday night at 7.00pm it was 23.9 degrees, 18.5 degrees Dew Point, 73% Relative Humidity and 13kph wind.  Gold Coast last night was 24.2 degrees, 17.9 degrees Dew Point, 68% Relative Humidity and 24kmh winds.  So there was factually much more likelihood of humidity and dew in Melbourne or Sydney at game start than the Gold Coast last night.  But if we had played the game in Melbourne or Sydney and played the same way then no-one would have given the conditions a second thought.  So I say again, it's a cheap p-weak cop out blaming the conditions to excuse a p-poor effort.
I did say "one of the reasons why we may have lost" NOT the actual reason.
You could have 90% humidity here in Melbourne and that equates to about 20% humidity up in QLD, it's completely different weather conditions up there.

Not only have I lived in the two differing weather conditions and have tracked QLD weather conditions for the past 15 years, but also study climates around the world so when I say it CAN have an effect on players, it could.

We should've won by 10 goals and none of that has anything to do with the stuffing humidity and it would not have mattered if we played any place else on earth, we would not have won that game simply because we were totally crap. I simply offered a plausible reason why the heat room would not be of any use.

And also I wrote "hence one of the reasons why we lost", it should have read "hence one of the reasons why we may have lost", which is what I was getting at, so sorry for the typo.

1980 I Was There

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2014, 09:51:42 PM »

Says it all really.....
This.  We really need better fitness staff.
Yeah I agree, so what happened to all the stuff, cotchin and lids and few others have said about having the best pre-season in years.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2014, 10:20:49 PM »

And I said "Can't buy into your argument blaming the weather and conditions in any way, shape or form." so to use it as even a p00fteenth of an excuse is something I disagree with.  I never said you thought it was the actual reason.

You could have 90% humidity here in Melbourne and that equates to about 20% humidity up in QLD, it's completely different weather conditions up there.

Not only have I lived in the two differing weather conditions and have tracked QLD weather conditions for the past 15 years, but also study climates around the world so when I say it CAN have an effect on players, it could.

Lol.  I guess my 30 years growing up, living and playing football in Melbourne and country Victoria plus my 20 years living and playing for a number of years in SE Qld counts for zip in the face of such expert knowledge.  But I do know this - 80% humidity in Melbourne is 80% humidity in Queensland is 80% humidity in Upper Timbuktu.  You would obviously know that relative humidity roughly speaking is a measure of the moisture in the air and that the combination of higher relative humidity and higher temperature is what makes the actual humidity harder to cope with and that the prevailing wind is what can help alleviate or accentuate the conditions.  It doesn't matter where in the world those conditions prevail - it is what it is.  People do get sucked into the thinking that because higher humidity and temperature is much more common in tropical and sub-tropical areas then it must always be more uncomfortable in those areas but that's not always the case and on Sat night on the Gold Coast conditions were more comfortable and conducive to good football than either of Melbourne and Sydney.  Facts that the weather observations prove conclusively.

We should've won by 10 goals and none of that has anything to do with the stuffing humidity and it would not have mattered if we played any place else on earth, we would not have won that game simply because we were totally crap. I simply offered a plausible reason why the heat room would not be of any use.

Yep, but then you said the conditions were one of the reasons we may have lost and I completely disagreed with that so I wasn't having any sort of crack at you, just trying to prove why I believed my thinking to be right and yours wrong.

And also I wrote "hence one of the reasons why we lost", it should have read "hence one of the reasons why we may have lost", which is what I was getting at, so sorry for the typo.

The typo doesn't change what I think - the weather was not responsible for the outcome of that game in any way shape or form and to think so is to let the players have an avenue of escape from responsibility, regardless of how small.

tony_montana

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2014, 10:37:14 PM »

I have one thing to say about fitness staff

Darren Burgess  :bow

1980 I Was There

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »

And I said "Can't buy into your argument blaming the weather and conditions in any way, shape or form." so to use it as even a p00fteenth of an excuse is something I disagree with.  I never said you thought it was the actual reason.

Lol.  I guess my 30 years growing up, living and playing football in Melbourne and country Victoria plus my 20 years living and playing for a number of years in SE Qld counts for zip in the face of such expert knowledge.  But I do know this - 80% humidity in Melbourne is 80% humidity in Queensland is 80% humidity in Upper Timbuktu.  You would obviously know that relative humidity roughly speaking is a measure of the moisture in the air and that the combination of higher relative humidity and higher temperature is what makes the actual humidity harder to cope with and that the prevailing wind is what can help alleviate or accentuate the conditions.  It doesn't matter where in the world those conditions prevail - it is what it is.  People do get sucked into the thinking that because higher humidity and temperature is much more common in tropical and sub-tropical areas then it must always be more uncomfortable in those areas but that's not always the case and on Sat night on the Gold Coast conditions were more comfortable and conducive to good football than either of Melbourne and Sydney.  Facts that the weather observations prove conclusively.

Yep, but then you said the conditions were one of the reasons we may have lost and I completely disagreed with that so I wasn't having any sort of crack at you, just trying to prove why I believed my thinking to be right and yours wrong.

The typo doesn't change what I think - the weather was not responsible for the outcome of that game in any way shape or form and to think so is to let the players have an avenue of escape from responsibility, regardless of how small.
Yeah agreed they are all accountable for the loss, and wasn't really trying to give them an escape route, just peeed off big time that we lose again in the first round (yeah I remember last year lol).
As I said on another post, drop all except a couple and get in some kids that can kick and not handball and play faster footy.

Losing gets my bloodin curdling, no offense intended at any time mate  :thumbsup