Author Topic: Richmond showing interest in Power hard-nut Matt Thomas .......... (Herald-Sun)  (Read 9509 times)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Is it a potential tagger they see in this fellow, a possible an upgrade on Jackson perhaps?
The club that keeps giving.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
No, No and NO!

If you think he will replace Jackson you are wrong.

Thomas will push out players like Conca, Ellis, O'Hanlon our young skillful players.

We need to recruit skillful players, not below average disposal players. We have enough of them already!

Gigantor

This is now bordering on the absurd.why are we so driven to recruit anything with an Adelaide flavour.Its not as if either Adelaide club have a culture or style we are desperately trying to emulate.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Why I am starting to get the feeling people supposedly in the "know" think we are closer to the top 4 than we actually are?

I understand what we need to fill the holes (eg Chaplin as a defender) but I don't get why we'd go after a player like Thomas who on the surface seems to be an "OK" to average sort of a player not a star. I also acknowledge we have done very well recently with those we've picked up form other clubs

But seriously I'd rather draft kids and develop them than go overboard with top up types
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 12:18:19 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
No, No and NO!

If you think he will replace Jackson you are wrong.

Thomas will push out players like Conca, Ellis, O'Hanlon our young skillful players.

We need to recruit skillful players, not below average disposal players. We have enough of them already!

I agree torch, sure if jackson had retired, filya boots , spot on, he d stand in the way of o hanlon getting a game...he s just a player, not bad but no star either. He d come at a cost that i certainly wouldnt want to p art with
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Why I am starting to get the feeling people supposedly in the "know" think we are closer to the top 4 than we actually are?

I understand what we need to fill the holes (eg Chaplin as a defender) but I don't get why we'd go after a player like Thomas who on the surface seems to be an "OK" to average sort of a player not a star. I also acknowledge we have done very well recently with those we've picked up form other clubs

But seriously I'd rather draft kids and develop them than go overboard with top up types

Because we allready have the youngest list of core players in the afl and through free agency these senior guys who will get the job done will cost us nothing in draft picks

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
thomas isnt a free agent though...not so bad if he was...would cost r2/3 draft pick...too IMHO :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline jordie2tivendale

• Premiership Captain
Like the decision the kid has balls the size of Morro can't get  enough of the tuck / morris type of players rough diamonds always good to have a few he will definatley add  to the quality

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Depth this year was an issue, whats wrong with going for players who can fill our depth?

If he costs nothing then why say no?
Go Tigers!

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
Depth this year was an issue, whats wrong with going for players who can fill our depth?

Agree popes eye! We were shown up big time with our depth this year, we can't rely on our first a second year players to come in and fill holes. If we can get him for quids then why not? At worst he's going to keep the presure on someone to keep there spot in the senior side.

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
He'll cost something though.

the claw

disagree WP.
While i agree Thomas types should not be for us im all for taking our fair share of top up players as long as we stay strong in the nd taking kids with our early to mid picks.
 its all about cost imo.

something like this
9 - nd or caddy basically we draft a kid either way.
29 - nd
31 - nd or tom lee 21 yo and still a kid
50  - nd or 22 yr old and under aagin either way looking after the long term with kids.
after this point we could target 3 or 4  players older than 22  thus giving us a real good balance and we stay heavily involved in the nd with good picks.
69 - 22 yo kyle martin just won the vfl b&f. ready to go mid.
psd - moloney would instantly add mid field grunt and depth.
fa - chaplin
fa - knights.

in the past the real mistake has been trading out of the early to mid part of  the draft for short to mid term top ups.there is absolurly nothing wrong with taking your share  f mature players as long as they are up grades on what you cut agian the key is the cost.
it amazes me noone it seems wants to see moloney at the club yet they want to play finals. moloney would cost us nothing but his wages.we should be heavily into his type.as i said he would instantly add mid field grunt and experience and improve our depth in a stroke.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
The kid could potentially keep Jackson out of the side! Get it done Tigers :clapping

Then everyone would complain we need a Thomas replacement.  :shh

TigerTimeII

i remember a yr ago ppl saying why morris , he cant kick has bad disposal lol

well many were wrong

better have thomas in the team than jackson white and nahas

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

But if it is going to cost you something, then is it really worth it.

Because we allready have the youngest list of core players in the afl and through free agency these senior guys who will get the job done will cost us nothing in draft picks

Agree our list is still young and that's one of the exciting things about it to be honest

So therefore got no issues if it costs you nothing but if means giving up your 2nd pick that should be used on a kid then I am not sold that it is a good idea
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)