Author Topic: Hardwick's press conference Aug 29  (Read 679 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick's press conference Aug 29
« on: August 29, 2013, 05:24:33 PM »
VIDEO: Dimma's presser today ...

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2013-08-29/hardwick-press-conference-29th-august

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick is expecting a ‘fired up' Essendon on Saturday

Matt Windley
    August 29, 2013 2:08PM

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick must find a way to keep his Tigers on track for four quarters. Picture: Wayne Ludbey HeraldSun

NO ONE quite knows how Essendon players will respond this weekend after being sensationally booted out of the finals.

No one except Richmond coach Damien Hardwick.

"I'm expecting a fired up Essendon to come out and play the brand of footy that they've played over the course of the year, no different,'' Hardwick said.

"It will be a fierce contest. We were disappointed with the way we played against them in Round 9, I think it was, so we'll be out to rectify that result.

"I think they have a few guys they want to bring in, maybe Nathan Lovett-Murray and David Hille possibly for their farewell games, so their emotion will be high. We'll just make sure we do what we do, worry about ourselves and get our game up and going.''

Essendon will not be playing for any points at the MCG on Saturday night, but that does not automatically mean Richmond will gain four.

The Tigers will finish fifth on the ladder if they defeat the Bombers and can still do so with a loss, but Collingwood would have to lose to North Melbourne the following day for that to happen.

If it does finish fifth, Richmond will play the side that replaces Essendon in the eight in the following week's elimination final.

There are five sides in the running for that slot - Carlton, Brisbane Lions, North Melbourne, Adelaide and West Coast - and two of those sides, the Blues and Kangaroos, have beaten the Tigers recently.

But Hardwick said he has no preference as to who his side takes on next week.

"We're happy with either,'' he said.

"I think there are certain things in games (that are different). The Carlton game, we had some players out, they had some players out, we had the same amount of scoring shots.

"The North Melbourne game, we just had a bad day at Etihad Stadium which is a different ball game compared to the MCG. I think we still had 30 shots on goal but kicked 23 or 24 points.

"So we're reasonably confident with those sides that we play and we look forward to it, but we've got a big challenge this week in Round 23 against the Bombers.''

Hardwick played 153 games at Essendon between 1994 and 2001 and admitted today to being saddened by how things have transpired at Windy Hill.

"Of course, I know some quality people there,'' he said.

"It's an unfortunate situation and one we hope never happens again.

"From my own personal perspective I'm just glad it's over and we can move on,

"It's been a disappointing year from that point of view so we're just looking forward to getting on with the finals series and getting back to what makes our game great.''

www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-coach-damien-hardwick-is-expecting-a-fired-up-essendon-on-saturday/story-fndv8t7m-1226706672506

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Hardwick's press conference Aug 29
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 05:25:47 PM »
Hardwick glad Essendon saga resolved

Guy Hand
     The Age
    August 29, 2013 - 2:32PM

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick says he hasn't spoken to former Essendon teammate James Hird since his AFL banishment - but he will soon.

Hardwick, a premiership player alongside Hird in 2000 with the Bombers, will lead the Tigers into battle against Essendon at the MCG on Saturday night.

With the Bombers thrown out of the finals as part of their supplements saga punishment, just what level of intensity Essendon will bring to their first match since the AFL hit them with the biggest penalties in the game's history is anyone's guess.

Hardwick says he'll contact Hird once the dust settles after a torrid few months culminating in his 12-month coaching ban this week for bringing the game into disrepute.

Hardwick admits he's sad about the plight his old club has faced this season, but is glad the matter has reached some level of conclusion before the finals.

"From my personal perspective, I'm just glad it's over. It's been a disappointing year from that point of view," Hardwick said on Thursday.

"We're just looking forward to getting on to the finals series and getting back to what makes our game great.

"I know some quality people there (at Essendon). It's an unfortunate situation and one we hope never happens again."

Hardwick has also appealed this week to Tigers fans not to subject Essendon players to boos, with skipper Jobe Watson having been singled out by West Coast and Carlton fans in recent matches.

"The Essendon players have been put in a situation they didn't want to be in, and I think it's unfair to single out players," he said.

"We just ask for respect from our fans as best we can, and let's just play the game."

Hardwick says the Tigers have no concerns about a probable change in opponents for week one of the finals, with the expected match-up against Port Adelaide unlikely now the Bombers have been thrown out of the top eight.

More likely is a showdown with Carlton, Brisbane, or even North Melbourne - and the Blues and Kangaroos have both beaten the Tigers this season.

"We were never certain about who we were going to play," Hardwick said.

"Our oppo (opposition) scouts are all over those sides that are below us. We'll just make our way through those ... we're happy with either."

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/hardwick-glad-essendon-saga-resolved-20130829-2ssnk.html

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Hardwick's press conference Aug 29
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 08:43:17 PM »
Heard a snippet of him bagging the All-Star concept.

Says it's stupid to have it before the start of the season, most of the guys that are for it aren't good enough to be all-stars, and teams won't play their best players.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do