Author Topic: Damien Hardwick interview ...... (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1502 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Damien Hardwick interview ...... (Herald-Sun)
« on: November 23, 2012, 12:57:45 PM »
Dimma interviewed in the Herald-Sun today
Mark Stevens on the Gold Coast
November 23, 2012 9:39AM

The Tigers have made headlines over their next choice of captain. Trent Cotchin looks certain to replace Chris Newman, but there is speculation he would rather wear his usual No.9 jumper next year, breaking the recent tradition of skippers wearing Jack Dyer's No.17.

But Hardwick is wondering what all the fuss is about.

Asked if he was surprised about the obsession with guernsey numbers, Hardwick said: "It does (surprise me), a fraction. I suppose it's something as a coach you often don't think about.

"It's just more important we get our captaincy sorted out.''

That call appears imminent, with the Tigers taking part in a leadership program at Moonah Links on the Mornington Peninsula this week.

Richmond will complete four to five days of training in Cairns next week and then tackle some ``adventure racing'' as a bonding exercise.

The Tigers are happy to go down the path of humidity training, ahead of altitude work.

"There's two schools of thought,'' Harwick said. "Both (humidity and altitude) have benefits. It's just a matter of which one gives us a greater benefit. We've got a heat room at the club, so that's something we're looking at, heat as a benefit for us.''

The Tigers are thrilled with the progress of key forward Ty Vickery, who is returning from surgery to both shoulders.

"Ty's in full training,'' Hardwick said. "Obviously, some of the contested stuff he steps out, but he looks a million dollars.

"He had both shoulders done and you look back in hindsight and as a 21-year-old kid, I'm putting him on the park when he's not capable,'' Hardwick said of Vickery playing hurt last season.

"The important thing, though, is when he walks on the field, he improves our structure.''

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/positive-push-for-dustin-martin/story-e6frf9mx-1226522534013