Author Topic: A case for the (Tiger) defence ..... (RFC site)  (Read 6668 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
A case for the (Tiger) defence ..... (RFC site)
« on: November 07, 2012, 12:17:24 PM »
A case for the defence
richmondfc.com.au
Wed 07 Nov, 2012

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick is looking forward to seeing the Tigers’ developing young backline spend more time together on the field in 2013.

Injuries cruelled the Club’s defensive stocks last year, with Dylan Grimes (nine games), Jake Batchelor (14), Ben Griffiths (nine) and David Astbury (two) all spending large chunks of the season on the sidelines.

Grimes has been training at full pace since the end of last season, and Astbury and Griffiths proved they were over long-term injuries which hurt their 2011 campaigns.

Read the full article here: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/150778/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick's defensive dreams .... (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 06:59:19 PM »
Hardwick's defensive dreams
By Niall Seewang
3:38 PM Wed 07 Nov, 2012

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick is banking on the Tigers' backline to drive the Tigers up the ladder in 2013.

The Tigers' defensive stocks were rocked by injuries last year, with Dylan Grimes (nine games), Jake Batchelor (14), Ben Griffiths (nine) and David Astbury (two) all missing large chunks of the season.

Chris Newman, Alex Rance and Bachar Houli were the only Tiger defenders to play all 22 games in 2013.

However, Hardwick believes if the club's developing backline can spend more time together on the field next year, the Tigers will be immeasurably better off.

"The thing that probably hasn’t happened for us at this stage, is we haven’t been able to get that back six on the park all at the same time," Hardwick told richmondfc.com.au.

"I think we had the youngest back six in the AFL last year, and I think it’s one of the most exciting.

"A player like Dylan Grimes, who has outstanding leadership, great character, and we think is going to be a very good footy player, has only played about 15 games.  I feel like he’s played 200.

"(Jake) Batchelor is very much the same, and we’ve seen the improvement in Alex Rance.

"(Assistant coach) Justin Leppitsch has done an enormous amount of work with those guys, and he’s jelled them into a group that is workable, and we think is the basis of a very good side going forward."

Grimes has been training at full pace since the end of last season, while the Tigers are hopeful that Astbury and Griffiths are over the long-term injuries that hurt their 2011 campaigns.

Richmond also signed Port Adelaide's Troy Chaplin during the Gillette AFL Free Agency Period, with the 140-game veteran recruited to lock down a key defensive post.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150814/default.aspx

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: A case for the (Tiger) defence ..... (RFC site)
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 08:55:28 PM »
I think our defense will become one of our greatest strengths over the next couple of years. Our young defenders have all shown us large periods of games where they have excelled. Players like Grimes, Rance and Morris will be fantastic for years to come together and I have high hopes for Batchelor and Astbury too. Houli and Newman will be solid contributors. Chaplin will give players like Grimes and Astbury time to fill out too  :shh

Griffiths is the player I'm unsure of. I would love to see him play in the CHF position but could also see him becoming an incredible FB too once he gained in strength. Just needs to remain injury free which is a tall ask given his brief playing history.

Lets hope for less injuries and more depth to cover them.

the claw

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 01:38:04 AM »
i know people get sick of hearing it but if astbury and griffiths are defenders we are seriously short of tall forwards and taking at least one would have to be a priority if not two.

elton  197/92 19yo junior player.
mcguane 192/91 26yo mature player. plus a dud to go with it who is clearly there for security. what a lousy situation to be in once again.
riewoldt 195/93 24 yo development/mature  player.
vickery 200/95 23 yo development player. even here we can question the management is he to be our future #1 ruckman if so he should be classified as a ruckman first forward second.what the hell happens when we start playing him 30 40% of the time in the ruck? rely on elton or mcguane pppllllleeeeaaaessssee.

this area to me is in crisis. its an area we have so few of, and of the few we have their roles are questionable we cant ignore it we have to do something about it asap.

by placing astbury and griffiths as defenders it means our tall defender stocks are okay.
astbury 195/92 22 yo development player. 22 games.
griffiths 200/100 21 yo junior player. 18 games.
grimes 193/87 21 yo junior player. 17 games.
rance 194/93 23 yo development player. 66 games.
chaplin 195/100 27 yo mature player. 140 games.
darrou 190/97 19yo junior rookie player. 0 games.
to me the numbers for tall defenders is spot on with the above. ideally we could do with one less junior 18 - 21 and one more mature 25 plus player with about 100 games to his name.
when you look at games played you can see why chaplin or an experinced player like him had to be taken.
finally i have to say im bemused by the club going down this path with astbury and griffiths i dont see either as a defender and i certainly would not be developing both as kpds given the structure of the list.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 09:26:33 AM »
i know people get sick of hearing it but if astbury and griffiths are defenders we are seriously short of tall forwards and taking at least one would have to be a priority if not two.

mcguane 192/91 26yo mature player. plus a dud to go with it who is clearly there for security. what a lousy situation to be in once again.
vickery 200/95 23 yo development player. even here we can question the management is he to be our future #1 ruckman if so he should be classified as a ruckman first forward second.what the hell happens when we start playing him 30 40% of the time in the ruck? rely on elton or mcguane pppllllleeeeaaaessssee.

this area to me is in crisis. its an area we have so few of, and of the few we have their roles are questionable we cant ignore it we have to do something about it asap.

by placing astbury and griffiths as defenders it means our tall defender stocks are okay.
to me the numbers for tall defenders is spot on with the above. ideally we could do with one less junior 18 - 21 and one more mature 25 plus player with about 100 games to his name.
when you look at games played you can see why chaplin or an experinced player like him had to be taken.
finally i have to say im bemused by the club going down this path with astbury and griffiths i dont see either as a defender and i certainly would not be developing both as kpds given the structure of the list.
I think you put too much emphasis on it, they can go either forward or back, so its a moot point really.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 09:29:22 AM »
And adding to that JVT, that makes our list much better structure-wise if they can develop the versatility to go forward or back in a few of these blokes.  Griffiths, Elton, Astbury are the main candidates that spring to mind.

the claw

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 07:19:13 PM »

I think you put too much emphasis on it, they can go either forward or back, so its a moot point really.
imo not enough emphasis is put on it. it is about numbers. we dont go into game day with just 5 talls we go in with 7 possibly 8.astbury and griffiths are being developed as kpds their versatility only comes into it if we cop an injury on game day.

the list is down to just 12 talls including ruckmen. including below standard   mcguane and the rookie darrou how many rookies make it..
we just cut moore, graham, browne, post, miller and wright. and replaced all of them with chaplin. the numbers are totally inadequate. especially when 1/3 are juniors and another 1/3 are development.
so if astbury and griffiths are utilities we effectively have
4 tall forwards
4 tall defenders
2  tall utilities
2 ruckmen. 3 if vickery is indeed a ruck/forward.
the numbers dont change because we have 2 utilities. the utilities allow us to rob an inadequate  peter to pay an inadequate  paul.
for ten yrs we have been going thru exactly this and for ten yrs nothing has changed. we still wonder why we never ever build any depth in this area.

we have a list of 44 overall including rookies. we can easily cater to 16 talls on our list leaving 28 places for mids and flankers which is plenty. atm we have no tolernce for failure with our talls. with just 12 we fail to cater to injury and development and are relying on virtually every tall on the list to make it. it just doesnt work that way. we are relying on junior and development talls to play significant roles. it should not work or be that way.

list break down for me should go

ruckmen
4 - one mature, two development, one junior.

tall defenders
6 = two juniors, two development,  two mature/ vet. if utilities are a part of the 6 fine.

tall forwards
6 - two juniors, two development, two mature/vet, again if utilities are a part of the 6 fine.

sml/med forward flankers
4 to 6 -  again with an even spread thru the age groups. could be as few as 4 due to mids who can play forward.

sml/med defensive flankers.
6  -  four medium two small  with two in each age bracket.

genuine mids
18  - mainly big bodied well rounded. obviously some will be exclusively  inside and some will be exclusively outside.  age breakdown  six juniors, six developing, 6 mature/vets.
 like the flankers it could be less if need be. that is  if we have flankers who can be decent contributors as a part of rotations.

the above basically caters to two players for every position.  the mids flankers can vary for obvious reasons but the talls cannot it is a minimum. it caters to depth development  experience and importantly all list needs.
 i agree its  even better if your talls are versatile but this should not alter your numbers. its like saying martin is a forward we dont need more mids because he can play there too.
if we want to be a good developing club we need to actually have the right numbers to develop. we need to balance out the list properly and stop putting too few eggs in the one basket.
it  the above means at both richmond and coburg there would be a good spread of experience and a good structure at both.

by my reckoning we are
2 ruckmen short possibly 1. me id err for two.
4 to 6 mids short
either 2 kpds or 2 kpfs short depending on where you place the utilities. or it could be one of each.

we have 7 picks left all up i think. 3 or  4 mids,  2 or 3  kpps and 1 ruckman would be on my list this yr.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 11:19:30 PM »
for any of you who have time to tune into Kb's program on SEN tomorrow, Greg Denham said he will explain why Richmond will have the best backline in 2013 season.

8)
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 11:21:17 PM »
Denham is on crack if Troy Chaplin has anything to do with us suddenly becoming Brisbane 01-04 ;D

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 11:41:56 PM »
for any of you who have time to tune into Kb's program on SEN tomorrow, Greg Denham said he will explain why Richmond will have the best backline in 2013 season.

8)

Because we have a huge fan base and he wants listeners.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 11:46:12 PM »
Denham is on crack if Troy Chaplin has anything to do with us suddenly becoming Brisbane 01-04 ;D

I actually heard we were goin to rookie Darren Gasper  :shh

8)

Because we have a huge fan base and he wants listeners.

I actually don't mind the ol venom
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 07:58:01 AM by WilliamPowell »
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 08:31:33 AM »
Troy Chappel is a poor mans Gaspar with worse disposal.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 12:33:53 PM »

Will be All Australin under Lipitch's guidance  :shh

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 12:51:17 PM »

Will be All Australin under Lipitch's guidance  :shh

Leppich was a hack
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 04:40:02 AM »
Wrong.