Author Topic: Richmond have Jack Riewoldt roaming the flanks but will it backfire? ... (H-Sun)  (Read 2352 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond have Coleman Medallist Jack Riewoldt roaming the flanks but will it backfire?

Eliza Sewell
    April 05, 2013

IF you didn't know better, you might think Jack Riewoldt had kicked a bag against Carlton, such were the accolades he received.

"I thought he was outstanding ... his best game in 12 months," Richmond coach Damien Hardwick said.

Teammate Brett Deledio was just as effusive: "I was really proud of Jack and the way he played."

It says something about the beguiling nature of the Coleman medallist that he didn't kick a goal.

The issue of what Richmond does with its star forward on one level should be straightforward. But things are never simple with Riewoldt.

His roaming of the flanks drives many fans crazy, but insiders are adamant it's for the best.

And Riewoldt apparently agrees.

"He's after team success, so he's put aside personal success," Richmond forward coach Mark Williams said this week.

"He understands as a leader, for a team to play as a team he has to be a great team player.

"He's a bit more mature. He's had a little bit of personal success in the past but it hasn't led to team success so he understands team success means playing roles, it means giving into, - no, not giving in - but playing your part for the team."

Hardwick has been telling his flamboyant forward to kick fewer goals for years.

Leigh Matthews calls it the full-forward conundrum.

In economics, the concept is known as opportunity cost.

Sure, Tyrone Vickery kicked three last week, but if Riewoldt had played deep, who knows how many he would have kicked?

"I reckon the way Richmond were dominating the game, if Riewoldt was playing out of the full-forward line on (Michael) Jamison or whoever, he would have kicked his four, five, six," Matthews told Channel 7's Game Day.

Matthews, expanding on that view for the Herald Sun, said he could understand what the Tigers were trying to do.

"I tend to term it the conundrum of the gun full-forward," he said.

"Teams don't want to depend on one player to kick too big a percentage of your scores.

"Richmond obviously believe if Jack's in that part of the ground his teammates just kick it to him all the time.

"It's kind of this balancing act. The guy most likely to kick six, seven, eight goals is Riewoldt, but there's no use him kicking eight if we kick 12, that kind of thing.

"They're trying to work out how to use Tyrone Vickery compared to Jack Riewoldt.

"I made the comment that I understand the principle ... but Richmond were dominating the game that much on Thursday night if he'd been somewhere towards their go-to player I suspect they might have (scored more).

"Vickery was OK, but as a target forward I would have thought Riewoldt is likely to be better than Vickery, generally speaking."

Riewoldt might be the new Steve Johnson - he wants to have the most score assists at the Tigers.

"Jack's had that in his mind the last couple of years," Williams said.

During 2011 and 2012, Riewoldt scored fewer goals but had more impact on the scoreboard when you factor in score assists.

"People don't see these things," Williams said. "They see what they perceived years go, but he's evolved so much in regards to his team play.

"Everyone needs to play for the team. He's a leader, so he knows he's got to fly the flag."

Geelong premiership forward Cameron Mooney said single-minded forwards can change.

"By the end of my career I found it more satisfying when I looked down my assists column than my goal column," Mooney said.

"I just think that's going to be fantastic for the Richmond footy club if they all know Jack Riewoldt's about team, not that I'm saying he hasn't been that way before, but I just think it sends a great message to everyone else."

Before Round 1 Riewoldt said he was starting to "look past individual stuff".

"Early on in your career you look to get a game, then you want to have an impact, and then you want to be regarded as a senior player," he said.

"And then it gets to the stage where you haven't had much (team) success, and you start to look outside the box. How can I improve Jake King? How can I improve Tyrone Vickery?"

Some who know Riewoldt reckon while he's talking team, Jack is still Jack - the role will be a challenge for the big character with the healthy ego.

But he's certainly trying, even pushing it too far on occasions. During a pre-season match in Wangaratta Deledio said it was "ridiculous" the way Riewoldt was passing the ball off rather than having a shot at goal.

"He's so focused on trying to help others sometimes it can go the other way," Williams said.

"But we've worked our way through that and I think he's got the balance right now."

Williams said the forward structure this season would be flexible.

There's no full-forward really. The set-up comprises key forwards (talls), small forwards (high forwards) and hybrid forwards (mids/forwards).

"It looks like Jack plays high, but he basically goes where he wants to," Williams said.

"He's drawn to the ball, he makes the play by positioning himself where he can get it. Sometimes that's high, sometimes that's deep. It just depends on our flow of play and how we're going in games.

"You say he's a full-forward but really, he's a tall forward. He knows he has to play a role for the team and he's very happy to do that.

"He knows if he can help others be better by playing selfless roles for the team, it helps the team get better and helps him getter better as well."

Tonight, it won't be a surprise to see Riewoldt working out of the goalsquare again. He kicked eight last year against St Kilda and in 2010 he had hauls of seven and six.

Mooney said while the Tigers needed to find more goalkickers if they are to play finals, Riewoldt should remain their key target "50-60 per cent of the time".

"Don't be fooled, I've still got him down for the Coleman Medal," Mooney said.

"I still think he's going to kick big bags of goals this year. He's just going to do a lot of team stuff as well, which is going to make him a better player."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/sss/story-fndv8t7m-1226612738639

gerkin greg

Could have kicked 4.0 instead if 0.4 and they the flogs would be saying he was too selfish and we're still too redsack-centric

"By the end of my career I found it more satisfying when I looked down my assists column than my goal column," Mooney said.

Because you weren't kicking any goals  ::)

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Moons regularly didn't check his goal column.  :shh Also if he'd bother to check his possession column ('99 GF) he could have saved time and not checked his assists column.  :whistle

tony_montana

where do these idiots get their ideas from? Jack on the flanks drives fans crazy?  ;D
Jack sitting in the pockets calling for the long ball so he can try taking screamers from behind is what drives the fans crazy, getting on his bike and stretching the defence is what we love, he wont go many games goalless and will still probably win the coleman

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
I loved Jack's game against Carlton. Worked really hard and didn't get the sooks up because he wasn't the main man on the night. It worked for the team.

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Agree his game against Carlton was outstanding

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Agree his game against Carlton was outstanding

Yep and had he converted those 2 or 3 goals the media would be finding something to complain about
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Could have kicked 4.0 instead if 0.4 and they the flogs would be saying he was too selfish and we're still too redsack-centric

:clapping
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame

My thoughts when I read it too Gerks.  If he kicks straight then no-one would have written or said a thing.