Author Topic: If You Were Francis Jackson On Thursday?  (Read 4497 times)

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: If You Were Francis Jackson On Thursday?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 11:00:23 PM »
If I was FJ I'd be going:

Pick #9 - Nick Vlastuin (187cm/86kg - Inside Midfielder - Northern Knights)

Best available. Just an absolute bull of a kid. His most recent game against Gippy Power resulted in 29 possessions 12 tackles and 2 goals. That's Ryan O'Keefe in the GF type stats. Now people will either say a) we don't need a back flanker b) you can get inside mids later. But IMO he's not a back flanker. Sure, you could play him there to start his career but he will be a bonafide mid and a good one. Now I don't disagree you can get inside mids later but you don't usually get big, skillful ones late in the draft.

Pick #32 - Jackson Thurlow (189cm/80kg - Utility - Launceston)

Hoping Lonergan slides but otherwise it's his Launceston teammate. Could develop and play him wherever you want. Forward/Back/Wing. Good skills, looks like he'll develop into a really strong bodied player. Good overhead mark makes him dangerous in attack or effective cutting off opposition attacks.

Pick #34 - Rory Atkins (186cm/81kg - Midfielder/Forward - Calder Cannons)

The one in this group of 4 that I can see winning games for us. Has tricks in the forward line, is quite elusive and hits the scoreboard. Elite skills and capable of winning his own ball but think he'd be better off receiving the ball from Vlastuin so he can use his kicking skills.

Pick #43 - Tim McGenniss (181cm/79kg - Inside Midfielder - Dandenong Stingrays)

Nathan Foley clone. Quickish inside midfielder who is tough and competitive. Really hard worker by all accounts and will get the best out of himself. Bit random but so was Arnot who I also liked the look of last year. (albeit I only saw him in the TAC GF.) Generally picks 40+ fail so to pick up a solid citizen type who'll get the best out of himself would be a good acquisition.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 11:31:21 PM »
From the time names were leaked on the RFC website, FJ seems to lock in on one of the kids with our first pick and then have a list of about a dozen or so kids for our later picks. I haven't seen enough of the kids this year to make an informed list so I'll base this on the names we've been linked to by Emma Quayle, Brett Anderson and whispers I've heard around the traps myself:

9. Vlastuin .............. it seems we've made no secret of our interest. Too many different sources agreeing.
32 & 34. Garner, Lonergan, Corr, Wright, Thurlow, Atkins.
43. McGuinness, Newman, Fort

So from those 2nd round names listed, I reckon Garner, Lonergan, Corr and Wright will probably be taken between 9 and 32. That leaves:

9. Vlastuin
32. Thurlow
34. Atkins
43. McGuinness

Edit: which is the same as what you have tigs.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 12:11:37 AM »
That's because I'm a mind reader MT and I mind stuffed the poo out of you before you posted.  :whistle

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 02:37:33 AM »
That's because I'm a mind reader MT and I mind stuffed the poo out of you before you posted.  :whistle
Or we both use the same sources  ;D,

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 10:31:32 AM »
Or we both use the same sources  ;D,

:shh

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 11:03:30 AM »
Vlastuin is slow and a ranga
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 01:48:16 PM »

Pick #43 - Tim McGenniss (181cm/79kg - Inside Midfielder - Dandenong Stingrays)

Nathan Foley clone. Quickish inside midfielder who is tough and competitive. Really hard worker by all accounts and will get the best out of himself. Bit random but so was Arnot who I also liked the look of last year. (albeit I only saw him in the TAC GF.) Generally picks 40+ fail so to pick up a solid citizen type who'll get the best out of himself would be a good acquisition.

Knew him and he was a fat little plodder. Definitely a very hard worker

the claw

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 11:03:08 PM »
From the time names were leaked on the RFC website, FJ seems to lock in on one of the kids with our first pick and then have a list of about a dozen or so kids for our later picks. I haven't seen enough of the kids this year to make an informed list so I'll base this on the names we've been linked to by Emma Quayle, Brett Anderson and whispers I've heard around the traps myself:

9. Vlastuin .............. it seems we've made no secret of our interest. Too many different sources agreeing.

So from those 2nd round names listed, I reckon Garner, Lonergan, Corr and Wright will probably be taken between 9 and 32. That leaves:

9. Vlastuin
32. Thurlow
34. Atkins
43. McGuinness

whispers aside after all the only thing that matters is what jackson thinks id go grundy stringer  depending on which is available. if both are thats makes it hard.
on your picks id be happy with
9 vlastuin been a wrap for him for awhile now. just goes to show how valuable this pick is some real talent available to us here i hope they dont stuff it up.
32 thurlow  would be happy with him here,  but would prefer lowrie here. i still think this kid is being overlooked in a big way by eastern states people.
34 atkins/thurlow again would be happy with these selections at this point.
43 mcgenniss?  well i think if we had vlastuin mid,  one of lowrie/thurlow mid/util   and atkins mid,  with ouir first 3 picks id most definately be going tall with #43 our 4th pick.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 11:09:01 PM »

9. Vlastuin
32. Thurlow
34. Atkins
43. McGuinness

whispers aside after all the only thing that matters is what jackson thinks id go grundy stringer  depending on which is available. if both are thats makes it hard.
9 vlastuin been a wrap for him for awhile now. just goes to show how valuable this pick is some real talent available to us here i hope they dont stuff it up.
32 thurlow  would be happy with him here,  but would prefer lowrie here. i still think this kid is being overlooked in a big way by eastern states people.
43 mcgenniss?  well i think if we had vlastuin mid,  one of lowrie/thurlow mid/util   and atkins mid,  with ouir first 3 picks id most definately be going tall with #43 our 4th pick.
You may get your wish of a tall at 43 Claw. Latest word is we're interested in James Stewart, son of Collingwood's Craig Stewart.

the claw

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 11:48:22 PM »

9. Vlastuin
32. Thurlow
34. Atkins
43. McGuinness

You may get your wish of a tall at 43 Claw. Latest word is we're interested in James Stewart, son of Collingwood's Craig Stewart.
mt do you know why collingwood did not take stewart  f/s.  havent see anything on him bar clips. looks to have real good skills for a tall and real agile for his height . will he bulk up ?????
i like the look of some kpds who should be around this pick id be taking one of them and putting griffiths at ff. not to say i would not be happy with stewart i just question the type. all of our tall forwards are 195cm plus.
 id like us to look at a super quick leading  190/193 tall forward whos agile and very good on the ground to compliment the 195cm plus forwards we have.
griffiths  elton both 197cm plus  have the tools to be good kpfs. we also have vickery  200cm but i really want to see vickery developed as a ruckman. the theme is they are all potential ruck forwards ffs jack is 195cm wheres the balance in type.

ya know people keep saying its just an average draft but to me after the top 10 15 or so it looks even all the way to about 45/50 you could really find a gem at 50 in this draft or later.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 11:55:32 PM »
From what I can gather Claw they wanted flexibility for trading so didn't want to lock a pick away. They may still look to draft him.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 11:56:21 PM »

It's definitely not an envious task for Francis this year. There's a lot of talent in the top 15, you wouldn't want to get it wrong.

Claw, if Vlastuin, Grundy & Stringer are all available at our pick 9 which one do you take?

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 12:24:49 AM »

It's definitely not an envious task for Francis this year. There's a lot of talent in the top 15, you wouldn't want to get it wrong.

Claw, if Vlastuin, Grundy & Stringer are all available at our pick 9 which one do you take?

I can answer that for him......Grundy, Stringer Vlastuin in that order ;) you clearly don't read enough of Claws posts ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 12:25:27 AM »
mt do you know why collingwood did not take stewart  f/s.  havent see anything on him bar clips. looks to have real good skills for a tall and real agile for his height . will he bulk up ?????
i like the look of some kpds who should be around this pick id be taking one of them and putting griffiths at ff. not to say i would not be happy with stewart i just question the type. all of our tall forwards are 195cm plus.
 id like us to look at a super quick leading  190/193 tall forward whos agile and very good on the ground to compliment the 195cm plus forwards we have.
griffiths  elton both 197cm plus  have the tools to be good kpfs. we also have vickery  200cm but i really want to see vickery developed as a ruckman. the theme is they are all potential ruck forwards ffs jack is 195cm wheres the balance in type.

ya know people keep saying its just an average draft but to me after the top 10 15 or so it looks even all the way to about 45/50 you could really find a gem at 50 in this draft or later.
I think the reporting of what sort of draft this is has been misleading. Initially it was going to be a "superdraft" and then more recently it's going to be an "average" draft. I think people took "average" as meaning below-par when it really meant this draft is going to be more a fairly standard typical draft. I think your description of it is pretty much spot on. Top 10-15 look very good and you'd be disappointed as an AFL recruiter if you stuff up and don't pick up at least a quality B-grader best-18er; then there seems to be plenty of opportunities to find gems (at least good soldier types) in the late first round through to the end of the 2nd round (mid 40s); the draft then falls away after that.  I gather that's why we're going with 4 kids with picks 9, 32, 34, & 43 and then completing our list with recycled players as free agents and rookies after that.

As for Stewart  - see tigs explanation. They could still draft him with pick 39 (their last pick).

the claw

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2012, 12:46:51 AM »

thats a doozy.
to me list says grundy, best talent and game winning ability stringer. best performed and consistent vlastuin. theres good reasons for each statement. for me and at the end of the day its just opinion i like stringer above the other two.im more comfortably with what vive seen of him.