Author Topic: Nick Vlastuin [merged]  (Read 228816 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Nick Vlastuin [merged]
« Reply #915 on: August 26, 2019, 06:55:50 PM »
Vlastuin finished the match with 19 disposals, nine contested possessions, nine marks, seven rebound-50s, 13 intercepts, five score involvements and was as solid as a brick wall in the Tigers’ defence, making it extremely tough for the Lions to find a way through.

Throughout the 2019 home-and-away season, Vlastuin averaged 19.3 disposals, 6.5 marks, 4.5 rebound-50s and 8.0 intercepts per game.

He is currently ranked third in the competition for intercepts and 14th for marks.

Read more: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-08-25/fantastic-vlastuin

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #916 on: August 26, 2019, 07:33:32 PM »
Five score involvements from a back man!  :clapping :bow
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #917 on: September 06, 2019, 12:36:41 PM »
Vlastuin is averaging an AFL career-high 19.3 disposals per game this season, along with 8.0 intercepts, 6.5 marks and 4.5 rebound-50s.

He’s ranked third in the competition for intercepts and 14th for marks.

“A guy for Richmond who is so under-rated, and I can’t believe he’s still under-rated, is Vlastuin,” Carey said on AFL.com.au’s ‘Pick A Winner’ program.

“He’s an incredible player this bloke.

“He’s so good in the air, good on the ground, can play tall. He’s unbelievable.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-09-06/carey-acclaims-vlastuin

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #918 on: September 21, 2019, 05:56:33 AM »
Nick Vlastuin – 6

Played an important role in defence without finding a lot of the footy. Did what was required and kept the Cats' medium-sized forwards under control.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-20/every-tiger-rated-from-the-preliminary-final

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #919 on: September 25, 2019, 01:26:26 AM »
'Bloody hell, not again': Tiger admits to prelim feelings of deja vu

AFL.com.au
Callum Twomey
Sep 24, 2019

THE THOUGHT ran through Nick Vlastuin's head.

Richmond was staring down the barrel of another shock preliminary final loss as the Tigers headed into half-time trailing by 21 points last Friday against Geelong.

Everyone at the MCG was thinking back to last year's defeat at the hands of Collingwood in the corresponding game, and Vlastuin admits he was too.

"You've got moments where you do think 'Oh bloody hell, not again'," the Richmond defender told AFL.com.au this week.

"But we've done so much mental training over the past three years and you do rely on your teammates to pull you out of it … it's only natural to think of things like that, but then you try to pull your focus back to something useful."

The Tigers did just that, storming into a second Grand Final in three seasons. They will aim to repeat their 2017 heroics against Greater Western Sydney on Saturday.

This time feels different for Vlastuin and the Tigers. The breakthrough premiership of two years ago ended a 37-year drought for Richmond, while this one would cap a three-year period of dominance.

The Tigers have won 55 of their 73 games since the start of 2017, and Vlastuin says they reach this flag decider in another manner.

"A lot more thought's been put into this one I reckon. The first time we went there it was us making it up as we went along. We didn't really know what we were missing out on when you didn't win the flag, and even when we did win it we didn't really know what it meant," he said.

"So many fans after 2017 come up to you and know exactly where they were in 1980 when they last won it. This one will feel different for sure if we're lucky enough to be leading after the final siren, but they'll both be special for different reasons just because we've done it before and we know how hard it is to get there.

"Last year we had an unbelievable year and then we fell prelim week and Collingwood smacked us that day.

"We do know it doesn't matter how good you are during the year, if you're not the best on the last Saturday of September then it doesn't matter. We didn't even get that opportunity last year. This is a continuation of last year."

Vlastuin's rise has also been a continuation of last year. The 25-year-old has become one of the leading medium defenders in the competition, capable of shutting down forwards of all shapes and sizes.

That will have to be the case this week, with a range of opponents expected.

"Footy these days, you never spend much time on just one person. Apart from the key forwards and key backs, and the rucks, you work that team defence rather than one-on-ones," he said.

"I'll spend time on Toby [Greene], might even spend a bit on 'Jezza' [Cameron] if he goes up the ground a bit, and Brent Daniels, and whichever midfielders rest down there as well."

Whoever it is, Vlastuin's role won't be small. He doesn't believe the rhetoric that Richmond needs a second flag to cash in on its rich three years, but he has let his mind wander about what it would mean to add another medallion to his collection.

"A lot of teams have been one-time premiership teams and one-time premiership players, but to be a two-time premiership team would be pretty special," he said.

"But hopefully our era continues in years to come so we get even more cracks at it. It's not like this is our last opportunity and everyone's leaving and retiring."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-24/bloody-hell-not-again-tiger-admits-to-prelim-feelings-of-dejavu

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #920 on: September 29, 2019, 07:17:57 AM »
Nick Vlastuin – 8

One of the Tigers' best. Constantly found a way to roll off his man and intercept while Astbury, Grimes and Broad took care of their opponents. Had a match-high 12 marks and gained 570m from his 22 disposals. A perfect complement to the best organised backline in the competition.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-28/player-ratings-richmond

NICK VLASTUIN 8

Premiership Beard of not, the Tigers’ interceptor delivered. Picked off the Giants’ inside-50 entries like a seasoned Goulburn Valley fruit picker.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/afl-grand-final-player-ratings-dustin-martin-and-bachar-houli-shine-toby-green-phil-davis-flop/news-story/3b13f40fe020027c0e71ae275f356ff2

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #921 on: March 31, 2020, 03:38:31 AM »
Torquay Tiger Vlastuin misses the den as pandemic reality bites

Michael Gleeson
The Age
31 March 2020

When footy stopped Nick Vlastuin did what he does whenever the football merry-go-round offers a break: he retreated to the beach.

Vlastuin is in Torquay completing two townhouses he has been building. He is a qualified carpenter and working towards his building licence. The places are at lock-up stage and with footy in limbo he has spent his time on the tools doing the finishing touches.

From an unwelcome break, it was a welcome opportunity.

But, like everyone, he is sick of looking at four walls, no matter how perfectly straight he has now made them. He'd rather see 40 teammates. He'd rather see a dozen coaches and medicos. He'd rather see a Sherrin and the clock on the Punt Road silo.

Vlastuin is a keen surfer and he has been trying to get in the water to keep his fitness up but even that is proving difficult.

The disregard of physical-distancing rules, with thousands laying on towels on top of one another at beaches, saw the car parks at his favourite surf spot at Point Addis closed. So he can barely get to the beach now, let alone get a wave.

He doesn’t have weights or a gym at Torquay so he is stuck improvising with building materials in the backyard for weights, going for runs and kicking a ball to himself.

“I have to do the running, I can’t afford not to do the running but I can afford not to do weights for a while and pick it up again,” he said.

Vlastuin loves the summers at Torquay, which makes for a conundrum as football looks to push back into his regular summer break.

On the one hand he gets to play, which is good. On the other hand he has, well, the complexion for winter sport (he might be a keen surfer but wetsuits offer more protection than a black and yellow footy jumper and a pair of shorts).

“I am not usually too good in the hot weather and the sun, being pale skinned so footy in the off-season when you are usually wanting to do something else is not great but playing footy is better than not playing footy,” Vlastuin said.

“I would like to fit those games in and be able to play. And then we won’t have to do as long a pre-season for next year, which is a positive.”

The coronavirus at one point appeared likely to present Richmond with a competitive edge over the rest of the competition as an experienced and physically mature group. And perhaps if teams return to play again this year after a long limbo it will be the more physically mature teams that cope best with the impact of the hiatus on training.

“There was talk about that early days when restrictions were coming in that it could give us a competitive advantage because the club looked after us so well. They said the measures are this but let's go over and above to get an advantage,” Vlastuin said.

“Now who knows if the season goes ahead or not. At the moment we have bigger things to worry about.”

Vlastuin said he was glad the season started and enjoyed the novelty of the crowd-free game, but thinks the novelty will get old fast and players will miss the crowds as much as crowds miss the players.

That said he was also relieved when the season was postponed.

“We had already had new measures in, training was only in groups of six. One of the best things about footy is hanging around with 40 of your mates, so by the end of the week it was like what is the point?

“We didn’t have a choice in the end. When it got called off it was a bit of a relief in the end because of the keyboard warriors.

“It was nothing personally directed towards me but you would see on Instagram the AFL would post a photo and the top comments were people hammering players for playing.

“But then on the other hand my mates and heaps of people you would speak [to] were rapt about footy going ahead.”

Richmond, as the reigning premier, the team that has two flags in three years, returned this year and in round one looked to have lost no hunger.

All sides will be frustrated at the season being taken away but for a side with a strong early claim on this year’s premiership and thus for a flag that would enhance its historic standing, or dynasty, it is an added frustration to the postponement. It is not an aspect Vlastuin gives voice to.

“Maybe in 10 years we will look back on this season and say what if we got a full season? But at the moment footy seems second fiddle to everything else. People are losing their lives.

‘’Maybe in five years or 10 years people will look back and say that.”

The bigger concern for him right now is looking around and seeing only the townhouses he is building and not his 40 teammates. It is looking around and knowing that the coaches and people he works with so closely are not there, they are at home without a wage and the deep uncertainty of whether they will have jobs at the end of all of this and how they will put food on the table in the meantime.

“All of our coaches have been stood down and are not getting paid, I want to get back playing as soon as I can so they can get paid and get their jobs back.”

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/afl/torquay-tiger-vlastuin-keen-to-prowl-again-20200330-p54fck.html
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 06:59:34 AM by WilliamPowell »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #922 on: April 04, 2020, 04:46:42 AM »
Nick Vlastuin on Dwayne's World - Friday 3rd May [6:38 mins]

Richmond defender Nick Vlastuin speaks to Dwayne live from the building site.

Nick Vlastuin spoke to @DwaynesWorldSEN today about the players' current training program while in isolation.

AUDIO: https://player.whooshkaa.com/sen-afternoons?episode=613577

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #923 on: April 27, 2020, 06:33:09 PM »
Floss is the latest Tiger to be interviewed by Ch 7 news  ;D.

It's coming up in their sports report.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #924 on: April 27, 2020, 07:04:31 PM »
Dual premiership Tiger Nick Vlastuin would totally understand if one of his teammates refused to go into a quarantine hub for family reasons. The star defender is loving life in lockdown - building a house - as he builds towards another premiership at Punt Road. @SeanSowerby7

Watch here: https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1254695188787691526

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #925 on: April 27, 2020, 11:31:44 PM »
AFL star says family comes ahead of quarantine hubs

Eamonn Tiernan
7News
Monday, 27 April 2020 7:34 pm

Richmond dual premiership defender Nick Vlastuin says he would completely understand if one of his teammates refused to go into a quarantine hub for family reasons.

The AFL will almost certainly require clubs to relocate to restart the season which has been suspended since March 22, but Vlaustuin says family comes first.

The 26-year-old pointed to players Tigers skipper Trent Cotchin who has three young children and said the strain of moving away would prove too great.

“It would just be too hard on the families, and all that mental health stuff as well,” Vlaustin told 7NEWS.

“Trent Cotchin has three young kids at home, if his wife can’t even just can’t get his mother-in-law around to help her because of these restictions at the moment, you can’t expect Trent to leave for six seven weeks to go off to a hub.”

Vlastuin has accepted cuts to club playing lists are inevitable as the game deals with the the financial fallout of the coronavirus pandemic.

“It’s going to have to happen I think, the industry has lost so much money, we can’t keep going at the rate we were so something has got to give,” he said.

“You do feel for everyone.”

Vlastuin is one of 10 Richmond players currently completing carpentry apprenticeships and is helping build his beach house while the game is shut down.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-star-says-family-comes-ahead-of-quarantine-hubs-c-1001413

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #926 on: May 16, 2020, 07:35:15 PM »
A two-time premiership Tiger will return from the footy shutdown with some sharpened skills on the tools.

Nick Vlastuin has been hard at work on the building site and he's jumped on board a special cause. 7NEWS.com.au @_AMcCormack7 @FightMND @NealeDaniher #7NEWS

Watch here: https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1261582225272791040

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Flag Tiger sinks teeth into building townhouses during iso

By Mitch Cleary
afl.com.au
16 May 2016

WHEN Richmond's players return to training on Monday, Nick Vlastuin might take some adjusting.

In nine weeks away from Punt Road, the dual premiership Tiger has been immersed in putting the finishing touches on two townhouses he's been building in Torquay.

So much so that he's rarely ventured up the highway back to Melbourne – one being for his compulsory COVID-19 test at Marvel Stadium on Wednesday.

In relocating to the coastal town without access to a gym or equipment, the 26-year-old has been forced to think outside the square when not working or surfing.

"It's involved running three or four times a week and any weights you can I suppose," Vlastuin said.

"Not everyone has access to a gym, so we've been doing Zoom push-up calls for a bit of fun."

Vlastuin is one of several Tigers who took up the push from Richmond four or five years ago to begin a carpentry apprenticeship that was completed last year.

Kamdyn McIntosh has been working full-time during isolation, while Jayden Short has also accepted the invitation to join a friend on the tools.

"(It was) pretty much every day off for three or three years and I completed it 12 months ago," Vlastuin said.

"I always planned to get more hands on the tools and this lockdown came when my house hit lock-up so I've been on the tools every day since.

"It's been a bit of a sneak peek into life after footy for me.

"Having the trade to lean back gives you confidence that if footy does all of a sudden end I know I've got something to go into."

Like so many tradesmen, Vlastuin has been frequenting the local Bunnings Warehouse in Torquay where he collected his Big Freeze beanie on sale for $20 nationwide to support FightMND.

With games to return on June 11 – three days after Queen's Birthday – plans are still being developed between Collingwood and Melbourne to support the cause when they meet in 2020. 

https://www.afl.com.au/news/434006/flag-tiger-sinks-teeth-into-building-townhouses-during-iso

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #928 on: June 19, 2020, 01:53:58 PM »
For mine, Floss is one of the few Tigers who hasn't dropped away so far this year. While most of his teammates are fumbling, missing simple targets and running over the footy, Floss in defence remains reliable and is clean by hand and foot.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #929 on: June 19, 2020, 02:04:06 PM »
For mine, Floss is one of the few Tigers who hasn't dropped away so far this year. While most of his teammates are fumbling, missing simple targets and running over the footy, Floss in defence remains reliable and is clean by hand and foot.

Agreed. Most of our defenders were solid enough last night I thought.

Our backline ain't the problem.

Our midfield and forward line are spew-worthy.