Author Topic: Cotchin's captaincy [merged]  (Read 34312 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cotchin now more comfortable in own skin: Lambert (SEN)
« Reply #510 on: May 03, 2017, 01:36:08 PM »
Cotchin now more comfortable in own skin: Lambert

By Rhys Carman
SEN
3 May 2017

Richmond midfielder Kane Lambert says that skipper Trent Cotchin's open and honest chat over the off-season with other members of the paying group has helped him turn his form around.

Cotchin has started the season in good nick after a difficult few seasons since inheriting the captaincy, but Lambert told SEN Breakfast that the midfielder now appears to be much more comfortable in the role.

"I think a lot of the boys last year were in quite a difficult place, Trent to his credit, doesn’t like to show too much weakness," he said.

"Last year was a very difficult year for him and he opened up to the boys at the start of pre-season and I think it’s done wonders for him – he seems to playing with a lot more freedom and seems to be enjoying his football which is good to see.

"I think last year he might have tried to be someone he wasn’t and this year plain and simply he’s been himself and that’s why we love him and you know he's playing some fantastic footy and he's been a great leader for this footy club for a long time.

"As soon as I walked in the four walls three years ago I was impressed with Trent but in particularly this year he seems to be a lot more free and has a lot more energy and being himself."

The Tigers suffered a disappointing 76-point loss at the hands of ladder leaders Adelaide at the weekend, but Lambert believes that the group will return quickly to form.

"I know we got a fair touch up from Adelaide on the weekend, but the best thing about that is you know we learnt a lot of lessons and we move on pretty quickly," Lambert said.

"I don’t think so we have a lot of belief among our group and we’ve done a lot of work over the pre-season.

"We knew Adelaide were a fantastic side and our first quarter we were pretty happy with the way we played in the first quarter, but plain and simply Adelaide smashed us in contested ball after quarter-time but we move on and we look at a the tapes and learn lot of lessons from Adelaide but were confident where we are at and well move on pretty quickly."

“We will move on and we’ll look at the tapes and learn a lot of lessons from Adelaide, but we’re confident where we are at and we’ll move on pretty quickly.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/05/03/cotchin-now-more-comfortable-in-own-skin-lambert/

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Trent Cotchin on the pressure of the Richmond captaincy (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #511 on: May 03, 2017, 07:29:04 PM »
Cotchin now more comfortable in own skin: Lambert

TM called it..

reckon Trent is now comfortable in his own skin

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #512 on: May 03, 2017, 07:56:14 PM »
Why would u agree to doing an interview on this topic in the first place unless you feel pressure from the captaincy and wanted to let people know?

Its like coming out claiming that, without accusation,  one is not a murderer or a thief..

Whats the need to defend if there is no accusation other than guilt?
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #513 on: May 03, 2017, 07:57:27 PM »
Who are the other 2 options if you don't mind me asking?

Rance and Jack.
Rance is too much of a "celebrity" these days with all his media commitments. I also think he'd put his foot in it more often than not which is not what you want from your captain.
Riewoldt was not wanted by Rance (as indicated by his recent article) to even be in the leadership group let alone captain, so I'm not sure how that would work out.

I think they actually have the right balance now and they shouldn't change it. Just about perfect.

Good for you. Perfect.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #514 on: May 03, 2017, 09:28:21 PM »
Well that's a bit of a delayed reaction! :lol
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #515 on: May 04, 2017, 11:17:11 AM »
Why would u agree to doing an interview on this topic in the first place unless you feel pressure from the captaincy and wanted to let people know?

Its like coming out claiming that, without accusation,  one is not a murderer or a thief..

The stuff you talking about? People criticise Cotchins captaincy and whether he can handle it all the time :lol :lol

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #516 on: May 04, 2017, 11:37:12 AM »

The stuff you talking about? People criticise Cotchins captaincy and whether he can handle it all the time :lol :lol

Its about as contradictory as complaining about routine media spin being distributed and then when something seemingly genuine and more personal comes out still tearing it to bits.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cotchin - 100th game as captain this weekend (RFC)
« Reply #517 on: May 04, 2017, 05:29:08 PM »
Saturday night will be Cotch's 100th as captain by the way.

Most games as RFC captain:

Bentley   168
Dyer       160
Rowe      104
Knights    102
Cotchin    100*

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-05-04/cotchin-captaincy-century

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Cotchin's captaincy [merged]
« Reply #518 on: May 04, 2017, 05:44:39 PM »
He's not a natural leader but he's the best option once you consider everything. The last natural leader we had was Tony Free
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #519 on: May 04, 2017, 06:02:39 PM »
Free led us into the darkness.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #520 on: May 04, 2017, 07:00:30 PM »
Campbell led us into the darkness.

e.f.a
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #521 on: May 07, 2017, 02:24:30 AM »

I expected more of you Dooks. As a man of high integrity, I thought I'd at least get a response

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #522 on: July 25, 2019, 06:22:00 PM »
Trent Cotchin will chalk up 150 games as Richmond’s captain, when he leads the team out to do battle with Collingwood in Friday night’s blockbuster at the MCG.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-07-25/cotchins-key-captaincy-milestone

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #523 on: July 25, 2019, 06:31:05 PM »
Good fun reading through the last page or so of this thread....