Author Topic: Americans and their guns  (Read 34151 times)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
Re: Americans and their guns
« Reply #105 on: August 28, 2014, 03:36:44 PM »
Can someone explain as I don't have a clue why they persist with no gun laws in the US

Maybe they will start to learn if one if their family members get shot and killed

If not for Blacks and Jews, they'd have contributed nothing to the arts either, something the nation prides itself on.

Even Justin Bieber is Canadian....  ;D

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2014, 03:54:42 PM »
Can someone explain as I don't have a clue why they persist with no gun laws in the US

Maybe they will start to learn if one if their family members get shot and killed

It's fair to say that gun laws don't actually work anyway.
Whilst Australia may not have had a mass shooting since the introduction gun laws it certainly hasn't stopped the trade of illegal weapons and certainly hasn't stopped criminals from getting hold of firearms.
NSW is sitting on an all time high of gun related violence and yet they keep introducing new laws that only seem to affect "Law abiding Shooters" criminals and gangs don't give a rats fat about gun laws and have access to basically any thing they want. Gun laws in the US would do jack poo, it's as simple as that.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2014, 06:22:56 PM »
As we speak the us is making it illegal for citizens to own body armour via law.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2014, 09:17:32 PM »

It's fair to say that gun laws don't actually work anyway.
Whilst Australia may not have had a mass shooting since the introduction gun laws it certainly hasn't stopped the trade of illegal weapons and certainly hasn't stopped criminals from getting hold of firearms.
NSW is sitting on an all time high of gun related violence and yet they keep introducing new laws that only seem to affect "Law abiding Shooters" criminals and gangs don't give a rats fat about gun laws and have access to basically any thing they want. Gun laws in the US would do jack poo, it's as simple as that.
Where in Australia can a 9 year old grab a burger and shoot an Uzi??? Gun laws aren't just about stopping criminals access to guns, they also stop the easy access to weapons from legitimate sources. The burger joint where the girl accidentally shot and killed the instructor does not check for credentials or breath test anyone before handing over an Uzi.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2014, 10:39:47 PM »
Sorry Tiga I should clarify, I totally agree that there could be better access restrictions and storage regulations to start with, that's a no brainer!
There is certainly no where in Australia where a 9yo could fire an Uzi but you would be very surprised how many 9 year olds and younger that are out there shooting week in week out under full supervision. (Incident free I may add)

It's the more broader Gun laws that were forced upon us that I'm referring to, the registration of firearms (which has been completely abused) The restrictions on the amount of firearms one can own and ammunition restrictions just simply doesn't work, neither will trying to disarm a country that is already armed to the eyeballs!!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2015, 05:03:00 AM »
The Oregon gunman who carried out an execution-style massacre at a U.S. college classroom had a cache of 13 weapons, body armor and ammunition, authorities said on Friday, as they sought a motive for the worst U.S. mass shooting this year.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/02/us-usa-shooting-oregon-idUSKCN0RV5EP20151002

The Oregon slaughter of 10 people brings the total of mass shootings in the US this year - in which four or more people are killed or injured by gunfire - to 294. There have been only 274 days this year.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/oregon-shooting-274-days-and-294-mass-shootings-in-us-this-year-20151001-gjzl9c.html#ixzz3nRFPKGun

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2015, 07:42:19 AM »
Why is it so difficult to change an outdated constitution?

Seriously how can some association have so much say in gun control.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2015, 08:41:43 AM »
Why is it so difficult to change an outdated constitution?

Seriously how can some association have so much say in gun control.

Just like our constitution most changes would require a vote by the people, over there changes just don't go through, like here (eg becoming a republic).

Over there they will not give up one right that their constitution offords them, especially the right to bare arms

As to what power congress etc have is a mute point as none of them are prepared to take the gun lobbies on. Because like over here pollies want to keep their jobs, it's all about being a position of power and not losing it

And on your final point well that is again like here it's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and how much they give to get people elected 

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2015, 12:09:42 PM »

The Oregon slaughter of 10 people brings the total of mass shootings in the US this year - in which four or more people are killed or injured by gunfire - to 294. There have been only 274 days this year.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/oregon-shooting-274-days-and-294-mass-shootings-in-us-this-year-20151001-gjzl9c.html#ixzz3nRFPKGun

At that rate, 91 days left in the year and at least another 91 Americans are soon dead but don't know it yet, Women, Men, children. Unwilling to stop it through the political system. Idiots

thank god for gun laws in Australia.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2015, 12:12:06 PM »
Once again we get the knee jerk reaction of blaming the guns rather than the people.

As usual no one asks "why?"

For instance, why is it that Switzerland has a gun ownership rate not too far behind the US (largely military weapons to boot) yet has a gun related homicide approx 10% of that of the US.

Surely if the problem was simply access to weapons, then Switzerland's gun related homicide rate would be on par that of the US?

also, FWIW there have been 354 people killed by police in the US this year.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2015, 12:22:16 PM »
Once again we get the knee jerk reaction of blaming the guns rather than the people.

For instance, why is it that Switzerland has a gun ownership rate not too far behind the US (largely military weapons to boot) yet has a gun related homicide approx 10% of that of the US.

Surely if the problem was simply access to weapons, then Switzerland's gun related homicide rate would be on par that of the US?

Not really 'too far behind'.

The USA has 88 guns per 100 persons whilst Switzerland has 45 per 100 persons. And that's only registered firearms. The black market in the US means you can at least double that figure.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

yes its not just the number of guns it's also attitudes but the access to firearms for nutters in the US is like access to malt liquor for alcoholics.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Gigantor

« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2015, 12:31:17 PM »
Isnt the republican convention on the horizon?..Doubt any of the candidates will want to take on the gun lobby prior to that

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2015, 01:12:05 PM »
Isnt the republican convention on the horizon?..Doubt any of the candidates will want to take on the gun lobby prior to that

Exactly

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #118 on: October 04, 2015, 05:57:01 PM »

As Dooks said, Switz is still a fair way behind. If you don't include their military weapons that its something like 27 per 100. Also cutting off the thing that allows these people to cause mass murder in a matter of minutes is a lot quicker and more likely to have an effect. Yeah some people might still go and illegally get one, or use home made weapons etc. but a good start would be to take away how easy it is for them to get access to these weapons

Take away the guns, then work on the people.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #119 on: October 04, 2015, 06:03:28 PM »
Ted Nugent for President!
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.