Author Topic: Old Footballers - Whatever happened to ...  (Read 296609 times)

froars

Old Footballers - Whatever happened to ...
« on: June 22, 2004, 09:35:06 PM »
Anyone ever follow the whereabouts of footballers who’ve played for the Tiges.  A few go on to coaching, a la Knigher, Bondy etc, but I’d like to know what happens to the others.  I rarely see ex players at Richmond games.  Guys like Freeza – who you would think would still have a great interest - hardly ever.  They may be there, and you just don’t see them, but you’d think you’d see a couple over the years – but I haven’t seen many.

And luv to know if they still play footy straight after they finish, or if the toll of AFL – injuries, discipline, fans etc – has turned them off the game.

I would luv to know how they feel about the clubs they played for 10 years after retirement.  Do they luv the club, show mild interest in how they’re going, or nothing at all.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Old Footballers
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 09:43:07 PM »
Tony Free is now coaching the Yarraville Tigers in the FDL (or whatever they call it these days). They have won 3 games so far this season.

Freezer was at the first Tommy Hafey Club luncheon celebrating "Captains Courageous" but unlike a lot of the old players that go to these functions he didn't stay on after it finished
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 10:06:58 PM »
Barry Young is a  MMM commentator and Scotty Turner is coach at Warrnambool (dual premiership one at that). Daffy runs his pub/club business. Leon Cameron is assistant coach back at the Dogs. Of course Knighter coaches the Port Adelaide Magpies. Don't think any of them played again after they finished AFL.

I don't know but doubt Freezer would've played again anywhere. His knee was shot  :'(.

There were a few 90s blokes at the game on Saturday night - Turner, Young, Daffy, Stuart Edwards, David Bourke (still a beanpole  ;D), Robert Schaeffer? and a few others I've forgotten. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Jackstar

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 08:42:20 PM »
Hey Mightytiges, you forgot Chris Naish, he is working for the AFL. Good fella Naishy.
Tony Free was coaching Prahan in the Amatuers before he went to Yarraville.
I do beleive he got his self into a tiny bit of trouble yelling abuse from thre boundary.
Justin Pickering is coaching Old Melburnians in A- grade amatuers.
Jeff Hogg, Justin Paul and Allan McKellar played at St.Kilda City last year(southern league) I beleive Justin Paul is now coaching Bentleigh in the D-Grade Amatuers with Hoggy and  Macca  retired.

Jackstar

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 08:45:23 PM »
Trent Nichols went back to Tassie and now reads the sports reports on the news!

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 09:03:15 PM »
Is Jimmy Jess still playing?Did he kick a bag of goals recently or was i dreaming that i was back in the 80's?
I loved the Ghost!

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2004, 12:06:33 AM »
Im still playing ametuer footy and the RFC ex players lve come across in the last few years are
Justin Paul CC of Bentleigh   Tim Powell Coaching Monash Uni Old Boys   Tony Free was coaching Prahran amatuers  Stephen 'bomber James played for Bulleen-Templestowe in the mid-late 90s  Nick Daffy Old Melburnians  David 'Jughead' Bourke  Vermont EDFL  Aaron James Lalor DVFL   Merv Keane Coach Old Caulfield Grammarians  Ewan Thompson  Melbourne High old boys  Stephen Mount  Collegians 12 years ago!  John Manton Old Geelong until this year(Ive played on him 4 times over the years)
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2004, 03:37:30 AM »
Well, I had Michael Pickering in the bar tonight. I told him he was my favourite player when the Tiges traded him to Melbourne  :'(

Doesn't seem to be too interested in footy these days. He mentioned reading the paper a few days ago and saw where Richmond were on the ladder.  :(
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

froars

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2004, 10:46:37 AM »
That's sad Gibby.
I wonder whether being associated with an era the club would care to forget would be the reason why they don't invite players of the mid to late '80 and onwards back to the club.
They celebrate a premiership anniversary on a whim - and so they should - but they've still got to acknowledge these guys in some way. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2004, 10:52:53 PM »
I agree froars and gibby that is sad. Especially as he won a B&F at his time at Richmond. Maybe the Club could organize decade reunions (90s, 80s, 70s, etc...) for these guys.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2004, 07:17:57 PM »
It was Adelaide's turn to host a legends game at the Adelaide Oval today between SA and Victoria.

Some former Tigers who turned out for the Big V were Naishy, Knighter, The Flea and to my pleasant surprise Jimmy Jess and the one and only Michael Pickering :)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2004, 11:35:44 PM »
As I sat in my recliner with my Ugg boots on trying to recover from my trip to the arctic  ;D ;D

I am sure they said Jimmy Jess was the oldest bloke on the field today.

Michael Pickering looked so skinny , while that bloke from the Dogs - Kolyinuk (sp) looked like he could have beenthe star of that McDonalds movie "Up Size"
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2004, 11:44:56 PM »
Michael Pickering looked so skinny , while that bloke from the Dogs - Kolyinuk (sp) looked like he could have beenthe star of that McDonalds movie "Up Size"

Yeah Wp, Pickers today would make David Bourke look fat.

How about the SA full forward Deitrich (sp?)! :o Supposedly had 2 meat pies with sauce at half time of every game he ever played. Great footy diet plan ;D.

2JD

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2004, 11:21:07 PM »
Brodders and Sziller( bugger, cant remember how to spell that name..looks a bit odd) played for East Burwood EFL last year

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2004, 12:21:03 AM »
Brodders is coach at East Burwood this year 2JD. Not sure if Sziller is still there but 3 other Richmond no names are, the 2 Slater boys (Adam kicked 11 last round) and Scott Homewood.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott