Author Topic: Old Footballers - Whatever happened to ...  (Read 297677 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Old Footballers - Whatever happened to ...
« Reply #360 on: June 01, 2011, 05:54:29 PM »
Craig Smith has a son whose made the U16 NSW/ACT side. Craig is now working with the Swans.

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/jacksons-a-gain-for-nsw-with-this-chip-off-the-old-block/

JACKSON Pola-Smith has been blessed with sporting genes most youngsters can only dream about.

His old man, Craig, made a name for himself in the 1980s as a tough, uncompromising utility with the Richmond Tigers in the old Victorian Football League.

Now the youngster from St Augustine’s College has the chance to excel with a Sherrin in hand, following his selection in the under-16 NSW/ACT Rams squad contesting the AFL national championships later this month and in July.

Jackson, who plays for the Manly Bombers and Manly Wolves each weekend, grew up in footy-mad Melbourne before relocating to the peninsula after his dad landed a job with the Sydney Swans.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #361 on: June 02, 2011, 12:15:38 AM »
Craig only played 72 games for us so if the kid is any good we can't get him via father son  :(

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #362 on: June 02, 2011, 05:34:48 PM »
Craig only played 72 games for us so if the kid is any good we can't get him via father son  :(
Yep we can't grab him via F/S. One thing though is he is playing for NSW/ACT where virtually all high picks don't come from being a 2nd division state at U18 level. So if he is any good we'll probably be able to draft him anyway with a mid-late range pick.

His dad was a very good junior footballer. A star at U19 level. He didn't come on at senior level to the level he was as a junior. From memory he was fairly injury-prone.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline matrightyeh

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #363 on: June 17, 2011, 09:04:37 PM »
lol i remember him

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #364 on: June 18, 2011, 07:07:08 PM »
Ex-Richmond assistant coach Paul Spargo is quitting the Albury Tigers as senior coach and Chris Hyde is one of the ones in line to take over.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/spargo-stands-down/2199027.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #365 on: June 28, 2011, 12:27:01 PM »
Despite signing a clearance with Rennie in February before going away, Craig Ednie will stay and play with Yarrawonga this season when he returns from an overseas holiday.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/ednie-a-pigeon-100/2208725.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #366 on: August 23, 2011, 06:50:13 PM »
Mid-80s Tiger Chris Burton is involved in Cricket at Werribee...

... former Footscray and Richmond VFL/AFL player Chris Burton, who also represented Australia’s under-19 cricket team and has been heavily involved in Werribee’s junior cricket club, is taking fitness session over pre-season.

http://www.starnewsgroup.com.au/star/werribee-hoppers-crossing/310/story/139081.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #367 on: August 24, 2011, 10:33:01 AM »
Rye's Steve Ryan was handed a six-week prescribed suspension for headbutting in Saturday’s MPNFL Nepean League match of the day against Sorrento.

The former Richmond and Collingwood player, who has played more than 400 games of senior football, got into a “push and shove” with Sorrento’s Dion Phillips in the opening term.

Rye chairman of selectors Scott Beel said there was “very little” in the incident and players “clashed heads” in the scuffle.

“It was very low impact and there was no intent so we believe we have a case to take to the tribunal this week,” Beel said.

http://www.peninsulaweekly.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/mpnfl-no-rye-smiles-as-ryan-suspended/2267263.aspx

Mark Chaffey is also playing at Rye

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #368 on: August 27, 2011, 06:54:30 PM »
Yep we can't grab him via F/S. One thing though is he is playing for NSW/ACT where virtually all high picks don't come from being a 2nd division state at U18 level. So if he is any good we'll probably be able to draft him anyway with a mid-late range pick.

His dad was a very good junior footballer. A star at U19 level. He didn't come on at senior level to the level he was as a junior. From memory he was fairly injury-prone.

spot on, he was one of those highly rated juniors that looked every bit a good player but never really strung it together...I think injuries put his career out of its misery in the end...i alaways held high hopes for the No 17...would be ironic to nab his son
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #369 on: August 28, 2011, 08:10:10 PM »
Mid-80s Tiger Chris Burton is involved in Cricket at Werribee...

... former Footscray and Richmond VFL/AFL player Chris Burton, who also represented Australia’s under-19 cricket team and has been heavily involved in Werribee’s junior cricket club, is taking fitness session over pre-season.

http://www.starnewsgroup.com.au/star/werribee-hoppers-crossing/310/story/139081.html

Reckon this article is incorrect.
There is another "Chris Burton "" who played A-Grade district cricket at Footscray some 10 years ago.
I believe he is the one coaching at Werribee and not the footballer

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #370 on: September 02, 2011, 05:30:15 PM »
Denis Collins who played 17 games with Richmond in 1980 and was an emergency for the 1980 Grand Final has passed away at just 58.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/122555/default.aspx

He played 147 VFL games all up with us, Footscray and Carlton.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/D/Dennis_Collins.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #371 on: September 13, 2011, 02:19:37 AM »
Kristian DePasquale, who was on our rookie list in 2002 from memory and played at Coburg for a few years in the early 00s, has announced his retirement after 8 years with the Port Adelaide Magpies.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #372 on: September 15, 2011, 10:06:51 PM »
Kristian DePasquale, who was on our rookie list in 2002 from memory and played at Coburg for a few years in the early 00s, has announced his retirement after 8 years with the Port Adelaide Magpies.

was a good little player, injured his knee a week before he was to debut from memory
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

10 FLAGS

« Reply #373 on: September 21, 2011, 09:56:24 PM »
Anyone know the story behind 2 players that we drafted - I think they didnt ever play for us 1) Richard Anderson from Norwood in the SANFL. From memory he was a really early pick and 2) James White. From what I know they were both really talented footballers but for whatever reason never made it to Richmond.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #374 on: September 24, 2011, 08:47:31 PM »
Brad Miller (not the current one) who was a Richmond rookie in 2002 is playing for South Warrnambool against Warrnambool in the HFNL Grand Final.

Miller said in his younger days he hadn’t been too keen on training.

“I just liked playing footy, I wasn’t the most dedicated footballer going around. I just enjoyed playing with my mates.”

He won TAC Cup side Western Jets’ best and fairest in 2001 and nominated for the national draft. He was rookie listed by Richmond and played with Coburg Tigers, losing the preliminary final by less than a kick.

“I had the option of going back (home) or doing another pre-season with Richmond and I just decided to go home and play footy with my mates.

“Looking back it probably would have been good to have a crack at it but I just liked to get out there and play. I didn’t like training a lot.”

http://www.standard.net.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/south-warrnambool-footballer-brad-miller-reflects-on-a-painful-lesson/2300032.aspx?storypage=0