Author Topic: Old Footballers - Whatever happened to ...  (Read 299728 times)

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
Re: Old Footballers - Whatever happened to ...
« Reply #420 on: May 16, 2012, 10:00:21 PM »
Thanks for the update Davey  :thumbsup

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #421 on: June 18, 2012, 11:42:18 PM »
I saw the last quarter and a half of the Chelsea Heights vs Heatherton game on Saturday, and to my surprise noticed Greg Stafford lining up at FF for Heatherton.

In the last quarter right in front of me, and in true classic Stafford style, he got himself into a scuffle and with his left hand was fending off one opponent who wanted a piece of him, and without even looking, he (allegedly) swung his right elbow with impeccable timing towards another opponent who was coming in from his right hand side. He got him fair on the scone. IMO it was self defence Stafford style- with the end of his pointy elbow. The guy was coming in from the side while Staff was preoccupied, the big fella was just protecting himself!

He got reported though and would be looking at 2 weeks I'd imagine.

Ox

« Reply #422 on: June 18, 2012, 11:49:02 PM »
used to know the heatherton boys.

Staff is a beauty.

Never expected he would end up there

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #423 on: June 18, 2012, 11:52:19 PM »
Reckon we could get him back as back up to Maric? Loved Stafford. Underrated by a lot of people.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #424 on: June 18, 2012, 11:56:13 PM »
used to know the heatherton boys.

Staff is a beauty.

Never expected he would end up there

They aren't going too well Ox. They only kicked 3 goals for the day, 2 in junk time, but tbh I don't know much about the SFL.

Ox

« Reply #425 on: June 18, 2012, 11:56:57 PM »
He gets paid in burgers

i heard it was a cow and a mincer

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #426 on: June 21, 2012, 07:34:38 AM »
Tom Hislop kicked 6 last week for Aberfeldie

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #427 on: July 05, 2012, 08:33:16 AM »

10 FLAGS

« Reply #428 on: July 29, 2012, 06:25:03 PM »
Anyone know what happened to a guy we drafted with an early 1st Round pick but he never left South Australia - Richard Anderson, from memory I think he played for Norwood and was actually considered a really good player. What a shame he never came over to play footy with us.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #429 on: July 30, 2012, 03:47:41 AM »
Anyone know what happened to a guy we drafted with an early 1st Round pick but he never left South Australia - Richard Anderson, from memory I think he played for Norwood and was actually considered a really good player. What a shame he never came over to play footy with us.
Emma Quayle wrote a piece about Anderson a few years ago Ramps ...

Pick 4 RICHARD ANDERSON (Richmond)

Then a 24-year-old shooting star, recently plucked from his Adelaide University side to join Norwood.

What happened? Didn’t go to Richmond. Played country footy and won Norwood’s 1988 best and fairest.

Now director of students at St John’s Grammar in the Adelaide Hills, and father to Meg, 8, Ella, 6 and Jessie, 2.

RICHARD Anderson still has the No. 53 guernsey the Tigers sent when they drafted him. Back then, it was difficult to look at.

Anderson was 24 when Collingwood, St Kilda, Footscray and the Tigers wanted him to come play for them. But football was something he had only just started taking seriously, and their attention was too much.

He felt intimidated, and unsure, so he took a teaching job in Port Pirie and headed off, not even inclined to keep an eye on how Richmond was going.

"I didn’t want to think about it. I really did try to avoid it, because I’d worry and worry," said Anderson.

"I guess I tended instinctively not to follow the club, or absorb myself in it, because it all felt a bit odd. "It was all going too fast. I remember feeling like I had no control, and that was very unnerving. A lot of people thought I was mad, that I had this fantastic opportunity and here I was, running away from it. "It was flattering, but I didn’t understand it. It all felt very intimidating."

Anderson went back to Norwood in 1988, where he won a best-and-fairest, and made the state side. He had secret intentions to get to Punt Road at some stage, but felt under-prepared and kept telling himself: one more year.

Then came a back injury, and then a drop in form.

A teacher for 20 years now, Anderson was at Pembroke School in Adelaide’s eastern suburbs when Barnaby French and Angus Monfries came through, harbouring more focused big-league dreams than he had. "They’re so well prepared now," he said. "They grow up wanting it, and knowing how it works."

If he had his time over, Anderson would pack his bags, and not stop to worry. "I wish I could say I had played VFL. I really do, and I live with that regret."

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum/index.php?topic=4115.0

10 FLAGS

« Reply #430 on: July 30, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
The club should get Richmond Official to give him a call and do an interview for the club website. It would be a really interesting story I reckon. The man still has his Richmond jumper ... I wonder if he has had the same psychological issues most of us have had over the last 25 years watching the Tigers in action.  :lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #431 on: August 13, 2012, 01:01:22 PM »
Alroy Gilligan stars in Tigers win over Thunder
Dale Miller
The West Australian
August 13, 2012

It took just one league appearance for Alroy Gilligan to remind Claremont selectors of what he can bring to their finals campaign.

Gilligan didn't waste time making an impression at Claremont Oval on Saturday in his return to the league leaders' line-up.

The 22-year-old booted three goals from 20 disposals as the hosts shrugged off a sluggish first term to dispose of Peel Thunder by 81 points, 20.12 (132) to 7.9 (51).

The performance effectively ended a two-month exile for Gilligan.

The former Richmond rookie and WAFL premiership player was dumped to the amateurs in June as punishment after failing to turn up to a Claremont reserves game.

He has concentrated on building his fitness and showed against Peel the X-factor he can bring to a side in genuine premiership mode.

Tigers football manager Dean Horsington said Gilligan had slotted seamlessly back into the line-up.

"He's definitely got genuine leg speed," Horsington said. "Not that we don't have that, but he is a massive asset with the way he can break the lines with his speed and use of the football."

Horsington said the lively forward had well and truly moved on from his indiscretion.

It came after he was dropped following the club's one-point loss to East Perth in round 12.

"He knew he'd made a mistake," Horsington said. "No one's going to hang him on it. He's done the hard work since.

"He's really worked on his fitness as well to be able to play league footy.

"He's shown some really good discipline since that little hiccup."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/14535188/gilligan-stars-in-tigers-win-over-thunder/

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #433 on: August 14, 2012, 05:18:55 AM »
Decent grab, especially in the conditions.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #434 on: August 14, 2012, 09:34:51 AM »
Ground looked in good nick.  :lol
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do