Author Topic: Old Footballers - Whatever happened to ...  (Read 299509 times)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Old Footballers - Whatever happened to ...
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2006, 04:24:22 PM »
Ty Zantuck is meant to be lining up for Zillmere up this way.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2006, 08:54:04 AM »
Read in today's paper that Zantuck kicked 12 goals in the game on the weekend for Zillmere.  Luke Weller is also playing for Zillmere.  Zillmere were 170 to their opposition (can't remember who it was) 122.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Scotty Turner returns
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2006, 04:00:41 PM »
Saw this on Y&B

Tigers champ Turner returns
Dean Lawson
Wimmera Mail Times
Friday, 2 June 2006

FORMER Richmond champion Scott Turner will return to his native club Ararat this weekend after a 15-year absence from Wimmera Football League.

Turner's inclusion has bolstered the Rats for a crucial match against Horsham United on Sunday.

The experienced key-position defender told the Mail-Times yesterday he was looking forward to his Wimmera League return.

"I can't wait to be running around Alexandra Oval again. It's going to be different, I don't really know many of the guys, a lot of them are my mates' sons," he said. "I'm a bit excited. I'm looking forward to getting through the game, getting the four points

and having a cold beer in the clubrooms afterwards."

Turner, based in Warrnambool, will only play when available, a situation caused by a combination of work, travel, family commitments and injury management.

He is waiting on the sale of his Noodle Box business in Warrnambool before moving back to the Wimmera with wife Kerri and son Paddy, 6.

Turner has lived in Warrnambool for the past five years.

In that time he has coached Warrnambool to back-to-back Hampden League premierships. Last year he was assistant coach of the side and finished third in the club's best and fairest.

He has trained with South Warrnambool and Warrnambool this year and organised his own training regime during the past few weeks.

"I would have liked to play earlier in the season but it wasn't to be. I got one of the Ararat guys at the club to fax me through a draw and I circled the United game, I was pretty keen to play in that one. I want to play against our arch-rival Stawell next

week but I'm pencilled into play in a Richmond legends match, so we'll see what happens," he said.

"We've got Horsham in a few weeks too and I'd love to play them. I played against David Johns in a Richmond exhibition match against a Northern Territory representative side many years ago. It was good - two Wimmera blokes going at it."

Ararat coach David Law said Turner's return had created a positive buzz in the club but was careful to say his inclusion would not unbalance the side.

"It's fantastic news for the club, but we are not going to become one dimensional," he said. "If 16-year-old Tom Cashin is in the best spot to kick a goal we want him to kick it. We don't want him to pass it to Scott Turner.

"Turner is a significant part of our make-up and where we are going but our team will not revolve around him."

http://wimmera.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?class=sport&subclass=afl&story_id=484926&category=afl&m=6&y=2006

Ox

« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2006, 06:50:55 PM »
" I'm looking forward to getting through the game, getting the four points
and having a cold beer in the clubrooms afterwards."

How original..... ::)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2006, 12:59:35 AM »
Demons cast spell over Wimmera league
Paul Daffey
The Age
June 10, 2006

THE return of former Richmond defender Scott Turner to his home-town club has injected life into the Wimmera Football League. Before last week's round, in which Turner kicked six goals in his first game for Ararat in 15 years, Wimmera fans would have been forgiven for losing interest.

Former Richmond backman Scott Turner, 36, said before last weekend that he was especially looking forward to playing against Stawell. Such is the feeling engendered by a rivalry stretching back to the 1870s.

Full article: http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/06/09/1149815318320.html

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2006, 07:28:52 AM »
Zantuck kicked another 12 goals for Zillmere on the weekend. Bet the Bombers wished they still had him.

Offline Mini Tiger

• Future Richmond star
  • Is that a change on the horizon?
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2006, 10:02:59 AM »
Zantuck kicked another 12 goals for Zillmere on the weekend. Bet the Bombers wished they still had him.

Pity he seemed to be such a head case, I did like his couple of soccer goals a few years back.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2006, 08:29:48 PM »
Saw an article on Craig Ednie the other day, apologise if it's been mentioned, I don't even remember him.

Remember Athas Hyrsolakis?
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2006, 06:17:32 PM »
Saw an article on Craig Ednie the other day, apologise if it's been mentioned, I don't even remember him.

Remember Athas Hyrsolakis?

Had a Greek mate at school who could rattle off every VFL and VFA player with a Greek name. Athos was one of his favourites even though he was another recycled dud we recruited during the 80s.

Ednie (early 00s) was a elevated rookie who was similar in size to Foley. Genetics (too small) was the reason he didn't make it rather than lack of ability or attitude. Played just 7 games.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
How Daffy pays the bills (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2006, 02:44:18 AM »
How Duck pays the bills
01 July 2006   Herald-Sun
Mike Sheahan

WHEN Nick Daffy left Mt Gambier for Melbourne late in 1991, his future was based on nothing more substantial than a spot on the Richmond list and the optimism of youth.

He had no place to stay in the big city, no job outside of football.

He has often told mates he wondered where he was headed in a Mini Minor struggling to climb the West Gate Bridge on that drive to Melbourne.

Fifteen years on, the player nicknamed ``Duck'' is one of the outstanding examples of how a young man can turn a football career into a bridge to the business world, to success and financial security.

Not simply because he was a good footballer, more because he was a good player who also was a good listener, a young man with ambition and drive and an early realisation footballers can be finished before they're 30.

Daffy, 33, is one of three partners in After Dark management, which owns four cafe/club/lounge/bars in Melbourne. He also is a senior partner and driving force in a separate group of former and current footballers who own the Waterside Hotel in the CBD, freehold and all.

His business partners are former teammates Wayne Campbell, Brendon and Michael Gale, and Stuart Wigney, current players Nick Riewoldt, Nathan Brown, Matthew Richardson, Chris Tarrant and Dean Solomon, and Essendon premiership player Sean Wellman.

The Waterside, reportedly purchased for $3.4million a couple of years ago, will be valued in the order of $7million when current renovations are completed.

The old wharfie landmark now is the place where the corporates gather on weekdays and the young and socially mobile like to be seen at night.

Daffy has equity in the Blue Room, Lounge Room (Docklands), Waterside, Water Rat and the latest Docklands venture, The Fix, in which his partners are Tarrant and comedian Dave Hughes.

Richmond premiership player Peter Welsh, a club director during much of Daffy's time at Punt Rd Oval, alerted him to the need to use his football earnings and contacts.

``He sat myself and Wayne Campbell down a few years ago and said, `Get into commercial property as quick as you can','' Daffy said.

Daffy already had shown himself to be a self-starter, buying into a run-down pizza shop in Clarendon St, South Melbourne, a shop that became the Blue Room.

That was in 1998, when he was 25 and just six years into his career. He risked his house to take a part in the $300,000 enterprise. It was, he says, a ``fairly big risk''.

He had been a signwriter for four years then a full-time footballer for two, but he and teammate Campbell had plans and dreams, and both were aspiring developers.

``What helped me was I hung in the right group, I had a couple of good role models. I had Wayne and Brendon Gale, who were heading down the right track,'' Daffy said.

``Peter Welsh, too. He was a bit of a lad, but he had a business instinct ... yeah, a bit like myself. One thing he said was when you come out football, you have a thicker skin than a lot of other people and a lot more energy, and you're ready to take a risk because you're used to taking risks.''

Daffy is the ideas man, the one who sees the opportunities, plans the design and development, and then markets the finished product.

It all started when he became friends with Jimmy Derzekoz, who ran a sandwich bar opposite the Blue Room.

``At the time, all we did was train and play and go to coffee shops and restaurants, so I thought this would be a great thing to get involved in,'' Daffy said.

``Jimmy, myself and Vic Stroumos bought the Blue Room. Now we've got four places.''

Daffy is happy involving footballers in his ventures, so long as they come with the right motives.

``I always wanted to be involved with people who wanted to learn a bit about business rather than just piggy-back them,'' he said. ``If you get the right mix and everyone's got their own roles, it can work.''

Tarrant, for example, is expected to be the front man at functions for groups such as Collingwood corporates.

``Chris has been wanting to get into something for a couple of years and Paul Connors (his manager) is out there seeking opportunities for his players.''

Daffy says he learned many of his business principles from football.

``I used to watch the (Robert) Harveys and the (Matthew) Knights.

``I found out Harvey trained harder than anyone else, so I did the same thing. I always made sure I trained harder than anyone at Richmond.

``In business, I learned to just ask, ask, ask.

``There's a lot of down time in football, a lot of time to gather information, to learn.''

Daffy played 165 games for Richmond and one for Sydney from 1992-2002. He won Richmond's best-and-fairest in 1998.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,19642789%255E19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Old Footballers - Whatever happened to ... Peter Welsh
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2006, 02:50:25 AM »
Ex-players deserve more than a battered body
01 July 2006   Herald-Sun
Comment by Mike Sheahan

PETER Welsh says he played with and against many ``absolute champions'' who left football with little more than memories.

``In my era (1973-84), there were a lot of guys who were brilliant footballers, absolute champions, who came out the end with nothing.

``A lot of players look for benefactors to make them the money, but you've actually got to do it yourself.

``Nick (Daffy) has gone out and done it himself.''

Welsh, who owns Tanami Trading, a wholesale business dealing in sporting and outdoor goods, said he left it too long to address a future after football.

In an admission that will surprise no one who played with him at either Hawthorn or Richmond, he said: ``I should have got smarter when I was playing football, but my social interests probably occupied a little too much of my time.''

Daffy and several of his teammates were the beneficiaries of Welsh's belated maturity. ``I took a bit of shine to three or four of the boys, Nick, Wayne (Campbell), the Gale boys (Brendon and Michael) and Richo (Matthew Richardson).

``I remember having a lot of talks with Nick and Wayne about football being just football, that there's another life and you have to pursue it with the same energy.

``You have this abundance of energy, both physically and emotionally, when you're playing football.
``When you finish, suddenly you can put all that energy and emotion into other areas.

``I remember telling them property is the thing. As long as you can fund it, you'll come out a winner. These boys have made a great fist of it.''

Welsh said he merely replicated the role of another former Richmond player and director, the late John Robertson.

``Robbo was a great mentor of mine. We would meet at Don Camillo's (restaurant) weekly and chat about lots of things.

``Craig Stewart, Stephen Pirrie and Michael Thomson all were players and friends of mine who committed to doing well in business.

``Footballers today have got an unbelievable opportunity, but there's still players coming out with not a cracker.

``In the end, it comes back to the individual. You put all these guys in the melting pot (AFL) and they've got to decide who they want to be like.''

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,19642528%255E19742,00.html

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2006, 10:49:22 PM »
Matthew Greig (son of the bloke who stole KB's Brownlow) is blitzing for Vermont in EFL Div 1 playing at full-forward. Was at Richmond for 2 or 3 years but a permanent fixture in the reserves. 54 goals so far in 10 games.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2006, 10:41:55 PM »
Matty Knights has re-signed for 2 more years as coach of the Bendigo Bombers. So he won't be one of our new assistant coaches.

Moi

« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2006, 09:04:06 AM »
FORMER Richmond and Kangaroos utility David Bourke has stepped into the Myrtleford senior line-up to play Wodonga Raiders in the Ovens and Murray League today.

Bourke kicked four goals in the Myrtleford reserves last week after agreeing to join former Richmond teammate Steve McKee at the club mid-season.

"He played some good footy which is all we wanted to see really," Myrtleford coach Travis Hodgson said.

"We didn't want anything too special. We just wanted to see if his body was right after having so much time off.

"But he was great and the reserves boys had a good win. It was a good way for him to start."

Bourke comes into the team to help replace star duo Brad Murray and Andrew Carey, who were both injured against North Albury last round.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,19788610%255E19897,00.html

Ox

« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2006, 11:01:28 AM »
Neville Roberts anyone?

My mum took me to the Royal Melb Show when i was a little Ox, to meet him as he was stuck at some stand doing
personal appearances for the week.

So,what happened to him?
No-one except me came - LMAO

I was there for 3 hours just asking him stupid quesitions.

In the end the bastard started hitting on my mum - funny thing is,she took me back there the next day -LMAOOOO