Author Topic: Who are our genuine A-graders?  (Read 7865 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Who are our genuine A-graders?
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2013, 08:09:47 AM »

No Chappy averaged 15 touches last year in his quality, high finish in B&F season. I do think he can play. That's not the issue. There are other issues. I'll let you and others figure that out once you've seen him play a season of football. He'll fill a role but he ain't near the gun you make him out to be. I disagree that he's an A Grade defender. Spends more time manning space than an opponent.

Serious question Coach, not having a dig - would you say he is more like a Maxwell or Gibson type that fills a space and gets over to help out where needed?

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2013, 08:27:28 AM »

No Chappy averaged 15 touches last year in his quality, high finish in B&F season. I do think he can play. That's not the issue. There are other issues. I'll let you and others figure that out once you've seen him play a season of football. He'll fill a role but he ain't near the gun you make him out to be. I disagree that he's an A Grade defender. Spends more time manning space than an opponent.

Serious question Coach, not having a dig - would you say he is more like a Maxwell or Gibson type that fills a space and gets over to help out where needed?

Yep, he has played that role more often than not in the last 4 years. Occasionally he'll play on someone for 4 quarters. That clip of him from OWAAT shows him playing half back on Goddard. Pretty strange to not have him on Riewoldt, isn't it? Because I thought Chaplin "played on the monsters". He is capable of playing KP but I can't say I've seen him consistently shut down a good CHF or FF. Mainly because he rarely plays there and also because he's not an A grade defender like Bengal claims. Can play the game and will hopefully be a solid inclusion but I think people are expecting a bit much. Has a massive tendency to duck his head as well. Nearly all Port fans are happy to see the back of him...Some might be bitter but not all.

I speak some poo from time to time but I've been watching him for a long time. The comments on him from some Richmond supporters have me stuffed. It would be like us trading Jackson and then reading on the other clubs forum how classy, skillful and disciplined he is.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2013, 08:44:03 AM »

It would be like us trading Jackson and then reading on the other clubs forum how classy, skillful and disciplined he is.

That analogy has me laughing and trembling at the same time!!   :help

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2013, 02:23:34 PM »
I speak some poo from time to time but I've been watching him for a long time. The comments on him from some Richmond supporters have me stuffed. It would be like us trading Jackson and then reading on the other clubs forum how classy, skillful and disciplined he is.

Yep, totally agree Coach.
Thought years ago we should have traded out Schulz for Chaplin when Jay was under pressure about the TAC sponsorship loss.
Just seemed a natural of two guys, same sort of value, going home.
However after watching Troy more closely while Jay was still with us and afterwards I came to the strong opinion he wasn't that flash.
Certainly not a key defender to take the big forward which has been mostly promoted on PRE.
In most cases Port have actually hidden Troy away from the big forwards when possible. Just IMO though. We'll soon find out.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2013, 05:33:05 PM »
where does this view Chaplin will take the gorilla forwards come from?

Is it something the club has said is just just a collective circle jerk from the uninformed masses.

I found the comments from the bloke who does the AFL Prospectus interesting.

He said chaplain was a very good intercept mark and expects him to play largely the third man up role ( which is what coach says he plays for Port), and even twittered that he believes Chaplin could lead the comp for intercept marks this year.

Doesn't sound like the bloke to take on the gorilla forwards to me, but perhaps the club believe he can do so? Time will tell I suppose.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

dwaino

« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2013, 05:47:43 PM »

Is it something the club has said is just just a collective circle jerk from the uninformed masses.

He said chaplain was a very good intercept mark and expects him to play largely the third man up role ( which is what coach says he plays for Port), and even twittered that he believes Chaplin could lead the comp for intercept marks this year.

Doesn't sound like the bloke to take on the gorilla forwards to me, but perhaps the club believe he can do so? Time will tell I suppose.

I got the impression it was to bolster the starting back talls and give us some more flexibility. Rance goes all right on the forwards who want to go for a run but gets stitched up by the blokes that want a wrestle. With a fit Rance, Chaplin, and Grimes is sounds like we can just shop them around forwards that suit their strengths.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2013, 06:10:50 PM »

Not sure what the club has said about Chaplin as I rarely pay attention to what they say in public. Apart from Club80. I could tell you loads of really cool things but I am sworn to secrecy :shh A lot of Richmond fans seem to have the idea he will be lining up at full back to ease the pressure on Rancey. You just have to look at the "best 22" type threads, every man and his dog has Chaplin at full back. Saw a big footy poster get set upon because he said Chaplin was an average player who struggled on good key forwards. Our very own BJ was involved, talking up Chappy as a gun defender.

I got the impression it was to bolster the starting back talls and give us some more flexibility. Rance goes all right on the forwards who want to go for a run but gets stitched up by the blokes that want a wrestle. With a fit Rance, Chaplin, and Grimes is sounds like we can just shop them around forwards that suit their strengths.

Exactly. And as we got him for free I don't have a problem with the signing (although 4 years is ridiculous IMO).

gerkin greg

« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2013, 09:21:35 AM »
Craig Cameron barely had any input into that deal coach and you know it, he can't be blamed for what Chappy's manager put forward

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2013, 10:28:15 AM »
Craig Cameron barely had any input into that deal coach and you know it, he can't be blamed for what Chappy's manager put forward

:lol

;)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2013, 10:49:22 AM »
Even if he does play 3rd or 2nd tall at a decent level I'd be happy cause that means someone should be able to give Rance a chop out, which we lost when Grimes went down.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2013, 07:52:32 PM »
Looking for a comment about Chaplin playing on the gorilla forwards, the only one I could find was this from Rance:

“I wouldn’t have thought it would change too many roles, but it’s an added bonus . . . it will give us that option of playing the bigger-bodied player (on certain opponents).”
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2012-10-05/rance-happy-with-chappy.default?

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2013, 08:20:42 PM »
yep im not sure where this came from either..  he's not a Presti  :whistle type.  He's definately a Gibson type. 

tony_montana

« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2013, 08:53:33 AM »
Looking for a comment about Chaplin playing on the gorilla forwards, the only one I could find was this from Rance:

“I wouldn’t have thought it would change too many roles, but it’s an added bonus . . . it will give us that option of playing the bigger-bodied player (on certain opponents).”
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2012-10-05/rance-happy-with-chappy.default?

Couldve sworn Ive heard Dimma and co mention in interviews (sen) that he will release Rance.