Author Topic: Essendon face AFL probe/Players found Guilty by CAS  (Read 561769 times)

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Re: Essendon face AFL probe
« Reply #1965 on: August 26, 2013, 10:57:56 PM »
Hutchinson nailed it when he said the afl dont have to negotiate a thing.
Their say is final.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 12:49:47 AM by (•))(©™ »
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1966 on: August 27, 2013, 12:29:52 AM »
Hutchinson nailed it when he said the afl dont have to negotiate a thing.
There say is final.

Just came on here to see if someone could answer this question for me...

Why are the AFL negotiating? Just give them a stuffing penalty and get this poo over with.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1967 on: August 27, 2013, 12:50:51 AM »
Vlad is just torturing the pusher.
He hates him.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1968 on: August 27, 2013, 05:19:17 AM »
Essendon legend Tim Watson has accused the AFL of "engineering" the timeline of the supplements scandal to ensure it ended in the week before the finals, and no sooner.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-planned-timeline-of-scandal-watson-20130827-2smoy.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Essendon assistant coach Mark Thompson says James Hird could ''struggle'' to return as coach if he was suspended for 12 months for his role in the club's contentious supplements program.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/ban-could-spell-end-20130826-2sm8b.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player agents were called to a secret meeting on Monday where they were reminded of the legal avenues they can explore for Essendon players dealing with the supplements saga.

While the legal ramifications surrounding the Bombers' 2011-12 injecting program were high on the agenda, the chief concern of agents remains the potential long-term health effects of their players.

With Essendon still unable to say exactly what was injected, agents representing the players were addressed by AFL Players Association chief executive Matt Finnis, who also extended an open invitation to all players and their families to contact the union regarding independent medical advice.

The meeting in Albert Park, with AFLPA player relations boss Ian Prendergast and lawyer Brett Murphy also in attendance, was held as the AFL Commission conducted its hearing into the Bombers and the four officials charged with bringing the game into disrepute. Finnis is also understood to have written a letter to the Essendon players on Monday, giving them and their families the option of meeting AFLPA officials at any stage to seek advice on their legal and medical avenues.

Fairfax Media understands several players and their agents are still considering legal action over the drugs program, citing health and safety concerns.

It also emerged on Monday that one senior player agent had referred to the AFLPA a list of pre-eminent medical staff who could provide guidance.

Player agents have been deluged with questions from parents since last week's 34-page charge sheet against Essendon was made public by the AFL. The sheet documented 15 different drugs or drug types.

One agent said the meeting was ''very serious'' and the gravity of the situation was evident. Several agents have taken a harder stance since the charge sheet was released.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/agents-in-drug-talks-20130826-2smci.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1969 on: August 27, 2013, 05:24:22 AM »
Hird is still clinging to faint hope

Caroline Wilson
    The Age
    August 27, 2013

Late on Monday, Hird was still fighting for his standing and, more pertinently, his job. He had given some small piece of ground but refused to see how derelict his football department had been in its duty. Before heading into the AFL, he was still clinging to the belief he could coach Essendon next season.

Elsewhere in Melbourne, those AFL player managers with Bombers on their books were finally meeting as a group and discussing long-term medical and legal strategies for their players with their union. AFL Players Association chief Matt Finnis on Monday wrote to all footballers who had been part of the pharmacological experiment offering independent help.

Co-major Essendon sponsor True Value Solar, whose seven-figure Essendon contract expires in October, was considering its options while smaller commercial backers did the same. The wording of the final charges accepted by Essendon was also being micro-managed. Kia's multimillion-dollar deal with the club, which runs until 2016, is understood to include caveats regarding banned drugs.

In the first significant shift since this saga was revealed in February, Hird said after the Carlton win he might be suspended from coaching. In a dramatic night for the club that will count for nought in terms of the season, but meant so much to the coach and his chairman, Paul Little, he then fronted the media for what began as an interview but finished up a fireside chat.

Journalists, perhaps mindful of interviewing Hird the coach for the last time and acutely aware of his teenage daughter seated among them, allowed Hird to state categorically that his players had been cleared by ASADA.

Hird was not challenged when he spoke of the leaks that had punctuated this story, nor when he calculated he was guilty of 1 per cent of all he had been accused of. He said he and his club were as one.

This last statement should have been challenged at least. Hird has been one, if not the only major impediment to the AFL's resolution with Essendon, a resolution observers increasingly feared could be softened in the interests of expediency with the finals and the 2013 Brownlow Medal count and all manner of other football award ceremonies around the corner.

Hird said he would happily take a hit if it meant his players could be exonerated and if his club could escape sanctions. No one can guarantee the former and the latter was never going to happen.

The rest of the competition demands Essendon is punished as no club has ever been punished and the AFL has to make a statement regarding the duty of care to footballers. Anything less than two years devoid of early draft picks would prove an insult.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hird-is-still-clinging-to-faint-hope-20130826-2smcr.html

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1970 on: August 27, 2013, 07:00:50 AM »
Bomber Thompson said that he & Essendon are not drug cheats

Then what are they exactly? 

Did they set out to cheat? Personally I'd say No, I don't think they did.

But based on the allegations in that charge sheet thats what they've become with their win at all costs attiitude. Facts as they stand right now and take AOD6904 out of the equation Essendon cannot prove that they didn't give their players banned substances. They cannot prove it and that is the facts as it stands right now

Richard Ings said on twitter last night that one thing that could be hindering a resolution is that the AFL have to ensure that the wording of any settlement doesn't preclude ASADA taking further action down the track regarding the players (very smart man is Richard Ings)

Having said that I am getting to the stage that i don't give a stuff anymore. The AFL can appease the EFC and re-word things any way they want and from my perspective it wont make one iota of difference. Court of public opinion has already decided their guilt and there is absolutley nothing the EFC can do about that

Finally believe their new club slogan is "Arrogance breds Contempt"
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:56:24 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1971 on: August 27, 2013, 09:05:50 AM »

Finally believe their new club slogan is "Arrogance breads Contempt"

I thought their club slogan was "Whatever We Take" :lol

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1972 on: August 27, 2013, 09:35:49 AM »

Finally believe their new club slogan is "Arrogance breads Contempt"

:lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1973 on: August 27, 2013, 09:56:08 AM »

Finally believe their new club slogan is "Arrogance breds Contempt"

I said their new slogan not their current one
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1974 on: August 27, 2013, 10:30:48 AM »
That's not their current one

gerkin greg

« Reply #1975 on: August 27, 2013, 11:05:55 AM »
AFL have set a deadline for Bombers to accept charges or face the double fist commission

gerkin greg

« Reply #1976 on: August 27, 2013, 11:09:19 AM »
Jimmy Janglenuts is on the beta blockers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1977 on: August 27, 2013, 11:38:07 AM »
AFL website is saying there's no guarantees of a resolution today either  ::).

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1978 on: August 27, 2013, 11:47:23 AM »
To be fair, cyclops

we have to keep in mind any punishment is not too inconveniencing. Hence the delay.