Author Topic: Richmonds Field Structure  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
Richmonds Field Structure
« on: February 27, 2013, 12:20:32 PM »
After debate around positioning on the field how do people out there in the WWW world see Richmonds structure.

I see them employ a few different types of formations on the field, alomost soccer like but with more players.  Watching the setups i've noticed our defence structures up as a 2,3,2 formation and our forwards area is 2,3 formation leaving a 3,3 in the middle.  that translates to a 7,6,5 overall structure that is our basic formation.

When we attack we go to a 6,8,4 formation with a player leaving the forward line to open it up and 1 out of the defensive line and going into the middle which puts more around the ball.

For me the 2 interesting structures are forward and back..  Going 2, 3, 2 translates as    for arguments sake i'll use players to show where they're used.

Griffiths - Rance
Morris - Grimes - Newman
     Batchelor - Houli

The forward line looks like

Edwards - Miller - Jake
     Vickery - Reiwoldt

I just wanted to see if you think im seeing this structure correctly because this would go along way to a lot of debates going on around developing the team.

tony_montana

Re: Richmonds Field Structure
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 12:39:32 PM »
I dont see that, its horses for courses. I can honestly say I dont recall watching a game where for the majority of time Jack and TV were plonked as dual deep forwards that spread. They may lineup like that at a bounce (how often do you see 4 fwds vs 4 defenders congregated about 15 metres outside the goals at the bounce only for eveything to spread as soon as play begins. Starting structures are nothing today and I pay little attention to them.

They each have roles

Jack plays deeper and closer to goal. 1 bc hes our best goalkicker and a very smart player who can conjour something out of nothing with little taps etc, also he cant sustain big long leads to be the hitup target up the ground, so play to his strengths.

Edwards role has evolved and is now a classic goal sneak, is often hitting the right spots at speed and seems to be a growing understanding between him and jack.

King is a pure defensive fwd and will be allocated to the oppositions best rebounder.

TV plays the hitup target as well as resting deep(secondary fwd) and relief ruck. He cant play CHF and lead all day, then be expected to play ruck 10 mins a qtr, so his time is probably split 50-50 as a deep target and a hitup target.

A.Edwards/Miller exact same as TV minus the ruck duties. Play in tandem with TV as hitup target/ and secondary deep target to Jack.

5 man fwd line...

Then you'll have stints where Edwards and King spend time in the guts while Cotch and Dusty rest fwd. When this happens, TV and Miller/A.Edwards go into full decoy mode spreading higher isolating Cotch or Martin.

I might be wrong but generally thats how I see our fwd line structure up most times.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 12:49:08 PM »
Miller obviously wouldn't be in the forwardline Bengal.

I was speaking to Mark Williams (the other one!) about how the forward structure works and he basically told me it works in a circle. When the forwards are in leading mode, the marking forwards leading up and then fold back simultaneously presenting, creating space and/or blocking. Two other smaller forwards are there to crumb and provide defensive pressure while another player plays a role as a 'high' forward who plays wing and runs back into space. McGuane or A. Edwards would play this role.

Another interesting point that he made is that when any midfield goes to rest in the midfield they are not part of the forward structure and evaluated still as a midfielder not as a forward. I'm not certain how that works.

Just goes to show you how few 'tall' forwards we have now days playing traditional roles. I think the main thing is that we are continually attempting to change our forward line during games to throw off the opposition defensive structures. We rest Dusty/Cotch/Lids down there, we use Maric, we leave Jack one out. Often it all depends on match ups and the way the game is flowing.

Interesting how we now have one less player in the forward line who plays in the backline and sets up as a midfielder at the back of the square during center bounces.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 12:52:40 PM »
The thing to remember in all this is that we will (or should) change this up depending on who we are playing.  It's ok to setup so that we control the game but we also have to setup to match and beat our opponents strengths, and capitalize on his weaknesses so I don't know that there is any definitive answer to how we (should) formally structure up.

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 01:05:35 PM »
Great reviews and exactly the type of response that i was looking for.  I agree with everything that has been said.  Really interesting what you say about the circle, because i have seen that happen when they stream out and then fold back into the forward line.

i was throwing up our basic structure but as you have so eloquantly written there is so much more than old school CHF and FF.

Thanks Hanna, Smokey and Stripes

i find it pretty interesting the patterns that team structure brings.  Not only the individuals patterns but say when Jack does one thing, Edwards completes his part of the play and so then Vicks does is bit.

Probably also says why some are in the team and not others.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 03:15:27 PM »
I'm very curious about how the backline will line up this year. Now that Newman will play more that wingman/high defensive role, I'm uncertain who will fill all the roles. Obviously Rance and Chaplin are givens if fully fit to take the two biggest lead up forwards with either Griffiths or Grimes to take the resting ruck/3rd tall. That still leaves 4 'small' defender spots left.

These last spots alternate between lockdown smalls such as Morris and attacking defenders like Houli. Is Batch the floating small or Petterd? Does Ellis play the running defender/midfield role or does Vlaustin? Where does Dea fit in if at all?

I'm interested to see how it all settles.

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 04:40:38 PM »
I'm very curious about how the backline will line up this year. Now that Newman will play more that wingman/high defensive role, I'm uncertain who will fill all the roles. Obviously Rance and Chaplin are givens if fully fit to take the two biggest lead up forwards with either Griffiths or Grimes to take the resting ruck/3rd tall. That still leaves 4 'small' defender spots left.

These last spots alternate between lockdown smalls such as Morris and attacking defenders like Houli. Is Batch the floating small or Petterd? Does Ellis play the running defender/midfield role or does Vlaustin? Where does Dea fit in if at all?

I'm interested to see how it all settles.

I think Griff and Rance for the 2 talls with Chaplin and Grimes then 3 smalls so i'd go Morris, Houli and um Newman.. Chaplin if fit opens up options of the type of structure we play and where they play certain players. 

BUT good defence wins premierships. 

Do we play 3 - 195+ defenders 1 -  190-195 and 2 or 3 under 190 players.. Probably will depend on form and who we play.. 

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 05:59:56 PM »
I dont see that, its horses for courses. I can honestly say I dont recall watching a game where for the majority of time Jack and TV were plonked as dual deep forwards that spread. They may lineup like that at a bounce (how often do you see 4 fwds vs 4 defenders congregated about 15 metres outside the goals at the bounce only for eveything to spread as soon as play begins. Starting structures are nothing today and I pay little attention to them.

They each have roles

Jack plays deeper and closer to goal. 1 bc hes our best goalkicker and a very smart player who can conjour something out of nothing with little taps etc, also he cant sustain big long leads to be the hitup target up the ground, so play to his strengths.

Edwards role has evolved and is now a classic goal sneak, is often hitting the right spots at speed and seems to be a growing understanding between him and jack.

King is a pure defensive fwd and will be allocated to the oppositions best rebounder.

TV plays the hitup target as well as resting deep(secondary fwd) and relief ruck. He cant play CHF and lead all day, then be expected to play ruck 10 mins a qtr, so his time is probably split 50-50 as a deep target and a hitup target.

A.Edwards/Miller exact same as TV minus the ruck duties. Play in tandem with TV as hitup target/ and secondary deep target to Jack.

5 man fwd line...

Then you'll have stints where Edwards and King spend time in the guts while Cotch and Dusty rest fwd. When this happens, TV and Miller/A.Edwards go into full decoy mode spreading higher isolating Cotch or Martin.

I might be wrong but generally thats how I see our fwd line structure up most times.

Great post.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 07:59:57 PM »

gerkin greg

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 09:05:08 PM »
Great post.

Great sig. Sarge is the master of taking a hanger and falling on his ass. Love it  :thumbsup