Author Topic: Terry Wallace "on the couch" - Fox Footy  (Read 3531 times)

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Terry Wallace "on the couch" - Fox Footy
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2005, 07:53:22 PM »
Well if it wasn't Danny's responsibility whose was it?

Doesn't reflect too well on the board imho.

Moi

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2005, 09:32:47 PM »
MJS, this has been a slackness throughout the club for a long time, not just this board.
Terry was talking about the cleanliness and the mess of the place - not having a go at Danny, although he had a go at the fitness level of the players.
I remember a few times going down and cleaning and painting the rooms because they were so run down.  If they didn't have volunteers to do it it wouldn't get done.  It is a disgrace and Terry is right to mention it.  You can't have players coming into a mess like that and wondering, "gee, is this the AFL, the top echelon of footy"  ::).  We have to be more professional.  You've seen the state of the social club rooms - they haven't been renovated (or cleaned i reckon) in years.  Doors that have been hanging off their hinges for years will remain so for another 20 until they fix it or get some volunteer to do it.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2005, 10:34:32 PM »
As you say MT, this has already been done before.  So we’re going over it again because why?

Another backhander at Spud ;D although Wallace has said the exact same thing about the place being a mess before - ripping out the bar in players' dirty meeting room, quadrupling our skill sessions because our skill level was pathetic and commenting on our blokes having legs like tennis players or something similar - so hardly earth-shattering news. The media have just woken up that Terry wasn't kidding.

Here’s the link to the story from October 2004.  Hardly new.

Clean-up begins at Wallace's Tigerland
Caroline Wilson
The Age
October 28, 2004

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum//index.php?topic=1004.0
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2005, 07:56:08 AM »
It's disgraceful that the Club room should have been allowed to get into this mess.  Hardly an encouraging atmosphere - no wonder we stank!  And to have to rely on volunteers to clean it up.  I was told that there was an area near the pool that just remained dormant until TW came in and put weights there.  I was also told TW himself had the can of paint and painted the rooms.  Wonder what state the St. Kilda rooms are in?

Ox

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2005, 10:34:57 AM »
It's disgraceful that the Club room should have been allowed to get into this mess.  Hardly an encouraging atmosphere - no wonder we stank!  And to have to rely on volunteers to clean it up.  I was told that there was an area near the pool that just remained dormant until TW came in and put weights there.  I was also told TW himself had the can of paint and painted the rooms.  Wonder what state the St. Kilda rooms are in?

Hey Jewlza,
Is that your Pussy draped in a Richmond scarf ???? :shh

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2005, 10:35:28 AM »
It's disgraceful that the Club room should have been allowed to get into this mess. Hardly an encouraging atmosphere - no wonder we stank!

If there was any story in the whole thing it was how the club had allowed things to get in such a state and how they’re different now.  But no they have to try and create a hoohaa about nothing.

In the same interview, TW was also asked whether he thought he was a better coach because he had two years out of coaching.  They could have made something about that, but I suppose that would be positive and we couldn’t have that.  :banghead

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2005, 01:23:29 PM »
Well if it wasn't Danny's responsibility whose was it?

MJS,

I don't quite understand how the state of the rooms reflects on the board. I don't think it is the boards job to head down to the rooms and tell the boys to clean up - we are not talking about 6 y.olds here and asking them to clean their rooms. Let's be honest if look back at 2004 I think the board had a few more pressing issues :help ;D

I would think it reflects on a wide variety of people-

All people should take responsibility here instead of pointing the finger.

I would also add that perhaps previously others simply may not have given a stuff - clearly Tezza does and he did something about it.

The most importnat thing is make sure it doesn't decay like that again and somehow I don't think it will :thumbsup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2005, 03:15:15 PM »
Well it's pretty simple to me - the fish rots from the head down - and if the state of the facilities was as bad as being indicated (not just a clean up required) then those in charge have to accept responsibility.

It reflects a lack of self respect. Surely board members can observe it if the facilities are so bad, and make sure that it gets "sorted" ?

It's really surprising to me to hear about this - and disappointing. We are talking about a business that turns over $20m.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2005, 03:29:45 PM »
There were rumours going around that if Friday night is sold out the match would be shown live. I can't see that happening now that Ch 9 will be paying an hour tribute to Graham Kennedy that night.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2005, 03:37:58 PM »
I tend to agree with most of your comments MJS, but don’t think it’s really a great surprise.  I get a bit tired that every new head kicker that comes into the place, regardless of who they are, says and promises this that and the other. 

Every now and then you see certain things that you think could be done better and you just know there are other things, that you don’t get to see, that will be just as neglected.  It’s always after the fact that the truth about things comes out.

It says a lot that people are prepared to accept and work in such conditions.  Who knows how long they've been like that.

If people want to think that TW’s self-promoting, good on him I say.  If nothing else, he might embarrass us into being a bit professional about things.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2005, 03:39:23 PM »
It's really surprising to me to hear about this - and disappointing. We are talking about a business that turns over $20m.

Problem was that business thanks to wishful thinking overbudgeted on the footy department and lost $3m in 2 years :(. Before that we spent a decade scrimping on costs and never ever going anywhere. All just systematic of a rudderless Club that had been in the wilderness for 20 years. Problems weren't dealt with because no one could or wanted to identify them in the first place. Agree MJS that it reflects a lack of self-respect and pride in the Club.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2005, 04:13:31 PM »
Well it's pretty simple to me - the fish rots from the head down - and if the state of the facilities was as bad as being indicated (not just a clean up required) then those in charge have to accept responsibility.

Exactly my point MJS - as I said a variety of people need to take repsponsibility but first and foremost it should footy dept staff, players, coaches, admin etc. The board should be at the bottom of the tree IMO on this one. Their job IMO was not what the state of the rooms were but fixing the financial mess we were in.

I don't think this issue should be about pointing fingers. The media has managed to get everyone fired up in their quest for something negative about the RFC when the problem has been addressed. We should be applauding Tezza rather than looking for someone to blame - it's done, it's seems to have been fixed - isn't that more important :-\ ;D

I agree it shows a lack of pride in the Club but the point should now be that someone has fixed it - rather than who's fault it was because it is something that has been going on for 20 years not the last 5

Just on the facilities - what Tezza was and has been talking about is predominantly about the cleanliness of the place. He's actually said a number of times that the state of the facilities (eg the new pool, equipment etc) was in alot better shape than we he was last at Punt Road as a player

Problem was that business thanks to wishful thinking overbudgeted on the footy department and lost $3m in 2 years :(. Before that we spent a decade scrimping on costs and never ever going anywhere. All just systematic of a rudderless Club that had been in the wilderness for 20 years. Problems weren't dealt with because no one could or wanted to identify them in the first place. Agree MJS that it reflects a lack of self-respect and pride in the Club.

Spot on MT :thumbsup
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 04:17:18 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2005, 07:55:08 AM »
Hey Jewlza,
Is that your Pussy draped in a Richmond scarf ???? :shh
My cat - yes.  Name = Gizmo.  Age:  12.5 years (equivalent to over 70 human years)

Offline Cain

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2005, 01:33:08 PM »
Place was a mess - not a new story.
The state DF left the team in - not a new story.
RFC sells papers - not a new story.

HELLLLLOOOO PEOPLE - this thread aint worth the RSI its gonna cause.
If a person with multiple personalities threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2005, 02:05:57 PM »
HELLLLLOOOO PEOPLE - this thread aint worth the RSI its gonna cause.

Exactly Cain.