Author Topic: Will Richmond lose from Essendon mess? (Sportal)  (Read 1391 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Will Richmond lose from Essendon mess? (Sportal)
« on: August 29, 2013, 01:11:35 AM »
Will Richmond lose from Essendon mess?
Paul Barbieri
Sportal
28/08/2013 3:20 PM

If you were Richmond coach Damien Hardwick, how would you approach the Round 23 clash against an Essendon side with absolutely nothing to lose?

With the top four beyond them, Richmond know they can now finish no lower than sixth on the ladder, so a home final is already in their possession.

Adding an extra twist, the Tigers would probably prefer to finish sixth and face Port in their elimination final rather than Carlton or North Melbourne, the teams most likely to earn the wildcard finals spot at Essendon's expense.

Regardless of ladder placings, Richmond also have plenty to gain from resting players for this Round 23 clash.

As it's effectively a dead rubber for both sides, why wouldn't Hardwick take the chance to rest a whole host of players, especially ones with any lingering niggles, giving them a two-week gap to be cherry-ripe for a final the week after?

We simply don't know what Essendon side will show up for Round 23, but one suspects ensuring that Richmond get their stars cherry ripe for the following week is a bigger motivation for Hardwick than risking further injury to them in a what really is the deadest of dead rubbers.

Read more and the full article at: http://www.sportal.com.au/afl/news/will-richmond-lose-from-essendon-mess-250257

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Re: Will Richmond lose from Essendon mess? (Sportal)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 02:47:14 AM »
stuffen oath!!

Gotta do it.

stuff the bummers match
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 06:51:52 AM »
Could only happen to us. Thanks AFL

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 07:43:23 AM »
All those teams are poo and we will hammer whoever comes 7th or 8th. North outside Etihad would be fun to destroy.  :shh

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 08:00:49 AM »
Could only happen to us. Thanks AFL

Thanks AFL? i dont think it was caro or vlad injecting people

Thank fecking drug cheats.

In all likelihood we will lose the first final to Carlton or North. If we get a dream run and somehow get Port, then Hawks anything could happen.

That said we should make the finals next ten years given the list is ever improving. Need to win one before Deledio hangs up the boots
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 12:22:06 PM by Bentleigh-esque »

1980 I Was There

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 08:12:44 AM »
I for one feel that, purposely losing a match because it would be better to finish 6th is the biggest joke in the history of footy.
If we can't ante up to even think about playing any particular team in the finals, then we don't have any right being in the finals.

It is NOT a dead rubber because it remains in the history books and the Tigers being beaten on the day. This game will be remembered for a hell of a long time due to the fact that the vomits have been placed out of the eight as they are not worthy of being in the finals due to drugs getting them there. If we lose that will stick in the minds of many.

In saying that, why not rest players, it's not to lose the the up and coming game against the vomits, but to win the first final for a million years.

I want to smash the bombers, I hate them, always have.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 12:08:25 PM »
It's more about resting our players mate.
Relax......
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 01:48:28 PM »
It's more about resting our players mate.
Relax......

Yep, I believe the 2 highest winners from week 1 of the finals will also get a weeks rest. It doesn't seem to impact those sides negatively in the Prelim.
Seems like smart player management to me
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 02:25:41 PM »
resting a few key players makes sense to me. Maybe rest Cotch Dusty and Jack and bring in Helbig Arnot and McBean

gerkin greg

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 02:33:01 PM »
just rest someone so we have an excuse when we lose

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 03:25:54 PM »
All those teams are poo and we will hammer whoever comes 7th or 8th. North outside Etihad would be fun to destroy.  :shh

Agree totally. Heard Rance on SEN about a half hour ago and I was very happy to him him say that this week is a full dress rehearsal for the finals. It's the only way to approach this game. Resting players this week is a total croc.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 03:40:26 PM »

Agree totally. Heard Rance on SEN about a half hour ago and I was very happy to him him say that this week is a full dress rehearsal for the finals. It's the only way to approach this game. Resting players this week is a total croc.

Agreed need to be professional, dutiful and diligent for this game.
We have finished 5th on merit, 4 or 5 games clear of whoever finishes 9th.
Could be a good couple of weeks with a 100 + point win last week, beating Essendon and then beating Carlton or Nought. Nice appetiser for the road trip I'll take to Sydney in Week 2 of Finals. :thumbsup