Author Topic: Nathan snapped his leg  (Read 6893 times)

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Nathan snapped his leg
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2005, 02:49:11 PM »
I got home from the pub ratarsed and caught the third quarter on the telly. Fell asleep at 3 qtr time so missed it. Is there any video of the incident? Sounds pretty terrible. Poor bastard.

This is the worst broken leg I have ever seen, how does it compare?

Ox

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2005, 02:50:23 PM »
same i think

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
effenell.

I'm shattered for him. Lets hope he can make it back. Hope it doesn't leave too many mental scars around the club.

Some prior cases below. These are soccer players and it is difficult to know how much harder it would be in a sport where the grounds are harder and there is a greater risk of severe physical contact. I would guess it is 50/50 for him to come back as an elite footballer.

David Busst (Coventry City) - Pic Above

Everyone remembers the horror picture with Peter Schmeichel, the Manchester United goalkeeper, turning a whiter shade of pale at the sight of Busst’s terrible injury at Old Trafford. He made 48 appearances for Coventry City, two as substitute, between 1992 and 1996, scoring four league goals. Never played again.

Henrik Larsson

From the BBC,  1999. FTR Larsson went on and played another 4 seasons and became a club legend with Celtic and then moved to Barcelona.

The horrific leg injury suffered by Celtic striker Henrik Larsson should not affect his future playing career, his club have confirmed.

John Barnes: "It's a bad injury, but at least it's not as bad as it looked"

The Swedish international, who broke his leg 11 minutes into the Glasgow side's Uefa cup defeat in France, is due to undergo surgery on Saturday to repair the damage.

Manager John Barnes said after the game with Lyon that the disappointing 1-0 loss was overshadowed by the player's injury.

"It was a sickening moment, it really put a dampener on the whole of the night - regardless of the score," said Barnes.

Alison Walker reports: "The injury to Larsson has overshadowed the result"
He confirmed that Larsson would miss the rest of the season but he added that the injury should not pose a long-term problem.

"Henrik will be operated on and we will see what the state of play is after that. I expect him to be playing again in the not too distant future.

"It is a fairly standard operation, we don't anticipate any long-term damage and I am sure he will come back in the course of time," said Barnes.

"What you saw was Henrik's shinpad," Barnes said. "I also thought it was disfigurement of the leg, but in fact it was his shinpad which had slipped to one side.

"So while it is bad, it looked worse than it was."

The club hope that if the striker's recovery goes to plan he will be back on the pitch for the start of next season.

Larsson was stretchered off in agony after he attempted to challenge Lyon's Serge Blanc.

His left leg was limp at the base, and the concern among his fellow players was immediately obvious.

After the match it was revealed to be a double fracture, reminiscent of the career-ending injury suffered by Coventry's David Busst in 1996.

Paul Elliot: "I am sure Henrik will be determined to get back to full health"
Former Celtic defender Paul Elliot, whose career was brought to an end after he suffered severe ligament damage of the left knee, had words of encouragement for Larsson.

He said: "Fifteen year ago a bad leg injury would have seen the end of a career.

"But things have improved - surgery techniques have got better, training facilities have got better and the quality of the surgery which is carried out has got better.

"If Henrik has the self-belief there is no reason why he can't recover fully."

The Swede has been a revelation since joining Celtic from Feyenoord two years ago for just £600,000.

Saturday's 7-0 win over Aberdeen saw him pass 50 league goals for the club, while there have been rumours of £10m bids for the dreadlocked striker.

There was a four minute delay while Larsson was treated on the pitch and stretchered away to be replaced by Mark Burchill as the match struggled to regain its early momentum.

It is now expected that Burchill will become the first team replacement while Larsson recovers

Djibril Cisse - 2004

Is playing again and time well tell.

Luc Nilis - double fracture in 1999. Tried for a year, but never played again.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 03:14:41 PM by the_boy_jake »

Ox

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2005, 03:20:33 PM »
looks like it snapped off.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 06:37:52 PM by fOx-)( »

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2005, 03:29:08 PM »
So we are closest to David Busst, which doesn't bode well.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2005, 03:34:14 PM »
His foot almost looks cut off from that pic.

I hope he can get back to near 100% but there's a 'good' chance he won't.

The difference between Nathan Brown and Michael Voss is that Nathan Brown relies heavily on leg speed and twisting and dogding ability. Voss was always your bulky inside player and a broken leg didn't force him to alter his style of play much.

Ox

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2005, 03:37:15 PM »
Sad day.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2005, 06:34:20 PM »
ROFLFMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a pretty bad injury that bloke's done himself.

Ox

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2005, 06:38:39 PM »
stuff..

I just saw that pic.

I gather the prick who posted the original pic changed it.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2005, 07:59:59 PM »
As much as players are up for praise and criticism, at times like this, it makes you think about the amount of work they do and the sacrifices they make just to play at the level.

After all that, it doesn’t really guarantee them anything.  But as with anything, I guess it’s the hard times that make the good times so good.

Fingers and everything else crossed that Browny comes back better than ever.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2005, 09:23:09 PM »

The difference between Nathan Brown and Michael Voss is that Nathan Brown relies heavily on leg speed and twisting and dogding ability. Voss was always your bulky inside player and a broken leg didn't force him to alter his style of play much.

Absolutely spot on JF.

I feel if he is does come back he will be a much different player.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2005, 09:43:23 PM »
Now I could be completely wrong here but I was told earlier today that George Gregan from the Wallabies had spiral fractures in his broken leg and now there is some talk that he'll be available to play in the Tri-Nations series later this year.  Spiral fractures, I think, are worse than a compound fracture (x could clarify this) as the break is in a spiral, circular formation.

Moi

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2005, 11:12:47 AM »
Nathan Brown was interviewed by phone on The Sunday Footy Show

Not feeling the greatest – first time he’s seen the incident and it was sickening.
Was in a bit of shock – the leg was numb at the time the incident happened.  Thought of Jason Snell, and wondering if he would ever play again.

Rehab starting soon swimming etc.  Hopes to come back next year

Will help Pettifer, Deledio, Krakouer and the like to try and keep the spirits up around the place.

Can remember kicking the ball and Whelan falling across him, but everything after that seems a bit weird.

Lots of visitors and text messages and well wishes.

He sounded good for those who didn’t hear him and in good spirits.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 11:14:31 AM by Moi »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2005, 01:11:49 PM »
I think it will take time but Brown will be OK. That's what Dr Peter Larkins reckons and he knows his cookies from his biscuits :thumbsup

A positive was the fact they were able to re-align both breaks and when they inserted the rod they only had to to use a minimum of screws (because the breaks were clean) I got told all this yesterday at an 11 y.o.'s birthday while eating cake - errrr.. delightful :-\

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ox

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2005, 01:42:55 PM »
I feel stupid for carrying on but i guess it was just an honest re-action from my thespian side.

I had a family member break every bone in the right side of her body when she lost control of
her car and wrapped it around a telegraph pole.
Seeing not only her,but all the other patients in the rehab clinic is a sight that will
be with me forever.
For some reason I assumed Browns injury to be like this.

I used to be tough,but then i realised we all die.