Author Topic: Collingwood & Richmond in finals race with only one spot on the table (H-Sun)  (Read 1829 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Collingwood and Richmond in race for finals with only one spot on the table

Matt Windley
    May 28, 2013

HISTORY says Collingwood and Richmond are fighting for one finals berth.

Only three times in the past decade has more than one team forced its way into the eight after this stage of the season.

Richmond and Collingwood are 10th and 11th respectively, while the historical hurdle is even worse news for North Melbourne, currently 13th.

Collingwood great Peter Daicos yesterday said he was sure the Magpies would come good, despite their bad loss to Sydney on Friday night.

"No doubt, like a lot of teams, they rely on playing at their very best," Daicos said.

"But at their best they're one of the best teams and I've got no doubt about that."

Richmond's 1980 premiership coach Tony Jewell said the Tigers were on track, despite a last-start loss to Essendon.

"They ran Fremantle to a point over there and beat Carlton," Jewell said.

"And all of a sudden they've got two young blokes who have emerged, (Brandon) Ellis and (Nick) Vlastuin, and I reckon they're genuine players.

"You add those to (Trent) Cotchin, (Brett) Deledio, (Dustin) Martin and (Nathan) Foley and I've just got a good feeling.

"If their centre half-forward, (Tyrone) Vickery - he's only young and I'm a bit of a wrap for him - can really start influencing games then they're in with a chance."

Only twice in the past 11 years have three teams climbed in to the eight after Round 9 - in 2009 and 2012.

On both occasions those teams filled spots nine, 10 and 11 on the ladder after Round 9 and trailed eighth spot by a game or less.

Daicos said the Pies' true standing would be clearer once they had played every team.

Collingwood is yet to play Brisbane Lions (Friday), Melbourne (Rd 11), Western Bulldogs (Rd 12), Port Adelaide (Rd 14), Gold Coast (Rd 17), Greater Western Sydney (Rd 18) and meets both Adelaide (Rd 16) and West Coast (Rd 22) at the MCG.

"Clearly the draw is going to be in their favour," Daicos said.

"And the one thing that stands out having still to play those teams at the lower end of the ladder is that you could easily run in to some consistent football week-in, week-out.

"I think it's a favourable run home for them. They've had a couple of their key players out as well."

TAB has Collingwood $1.25 to make the finals, and Richmond a $1.75 chance - ahead of Adelaide (seventh) $1.80 and North Melbourne $5.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-and-richmond-in-race-for-finals-with-only-one-spot-on-the-table/story-fndv8g1a-1226651669928#mm-breached

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Positions 6 to 11 are only separated by percentage. Still a long way to go.

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
I reckon 1-6 are locked.

Geelong
Hawthorn
Sydney
Fremantle
Essendon
Collingwood

7th and 8th are up for grabs between:

Adelaide
Richmond
West Coast
Carlton
North Melbourne

We've already beaten one of the teams we're directly competing against.  Our next 2 games against WC and Adelaide are huge.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
We've already beaten one of the teams we're directly competing against.  Our next 2 games against WC and Adelaide are huge.

Would go as far as saying season defining for us
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
I reckon 1-6 are locked.

Geelong
Hawthorn
Sydney
Fremantle
Essendon
Collingwood
Don't agree with that. I reckon Essendon will maybe only just scrape into the eight and Collingwood are no certainties for top 6 either.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
We won't get in against those sides, we do not have the balls or mental strength....weak as pee we are compared to those sides fighting for it!!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
We won't get in against those sides, we do not have the balls or mental strength....weak as pee we are compared to those sides fighting for it!!!
Are you going on Monday night WA Tiger?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I reckon 1-6 are locked.

Geelong
Hawthorn
Sydney
Fremantle
Essendon
Collingwood
Don't agree with that. I reckon Essendon will maybe only just scrape into the eight and Collingwood are no certainties for top 6 either.

Agree Bummers starting to fade already

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
I'd say top 7 are done.

Geelong
Hawthorn
Sydney
Fremantle
Essendon
Collingwood
West Coast

Can't see West Coast missing out.

If we continue to beat the sides we are meant to beat and knock off Adelaide at home, North Melbourne, Freo at home and Carlton we should finish 13-10 and that would be enough to finish 8th, especially with wins against the Adel, NM and Carl who will be fighting for the 8th spot. Can kind of predict our Round 22 clash with Carlton being the winner finishing 8th and losing another big game and finishing 9th.  :(
Go Tigers!

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
I'd say top 7 are done.

Geelong
Hawthorn
Sydney
Fremantle
Essendon
Collingwood
West Coast

Why can't you see West Coast missing?  Their wins have been against Melbourne, Bulldogs, Brisbane, Norf, and GWS.  Those 5 teams have only had 9 wins combined for the whole year.  West Coast also lost to Carlton and Port Adelaide.  They've all but used up their "easy" games.  They only have St Kilda, Dogs again, and Gold Coast left.  Other than that, it's a pretty tough draw.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Are you going on Monday night WA Tiger?

No mate, we live in Brisbane now and I will be away at work anyway..
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
We can't compete with Collingwood. They will make the 8 for sure imo there are huge question marks over us

We dnt evn futbol
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
I'd say top 7 are done.

Geelong
Hawthorn
Sydney
Fremantle
Essendon
Collingwood
West Coast

Why can't you see West Coast missing?  Their wins have been against Melbourne, Bulldogs, Brisbane, Norf, and GWS.  Those 5 teams have only had 9 wins combined for the whole year.  West Coast also lost to Carlton and Port Adelaide.  They've all but used up their "easy" games.  They only have St Kilda, Dogs again, and Gold Coast left.  Other than that, it's a pretty tough draw.

Fair point Danog about who they've beaten so far... they have 5 wins and a healthy 123%
These are the remaining games and what i think they may win or lose i have them around 12 wins or so and unsure of some of the 50/50's. Still a very good chance in my book
Round 10   
Monday, June 3 - Richmond - Patersons Stadium - Home - 5.40pm WIN
Round 11   
Sunday, June 9 - St Kilda - Etihad Stadium - Away - 4.40pm WIN
Round 12   
Bye
Round 13   
Friday, June 21 - Hawthorn - Etihad Stadium - Away - 7.50pm LOSE 50/50
Round 14   
Thursday, June 27 - Essendon - Patersons Stadium - Home - 6.10pm WIN 50/50
Round 15   
Saturday, July 6 - Adelaide Crows - AAMI Stadium - Away - 7.10pm WIN
Round 16   
Sunday, July 14 - Fremantle - Patersons Stadium - Home - 2.40pm LOSE 50/50
Round 17   
Sunday, July 21 - Sydney Swans - Patersons Stadium - Home - 2.40pm LOSE 50/50
Round 18   
Sunday, July 28 - Western Bulldogs - Etihad Stadium - Away - 3.15pm WIN
Round 19   
Saturday, August 3  - Gold Coast Suns - Patersons Stadium - Home - 2.40pm WIN
Round 20   
Sunday, August 11 - Essendon - Etihad Stadium - Away - 1.10pm LOSS
Round 21   
Saturday, August 17 - Geelong Cats - Patersons Stadium - Home - 5.40pm NOT SURE 50/50
Round 22   
Friday, August 23 - Collingwood - MCG - Away - 7.50pm LOSS 50/50
Round 23   
TBC - Adelaide Crows - Patersons Stadium - Home - TBC WIN
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

gerkin greg

We dnt evn futbol

probably your best post on this forum

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame