Author Topic: Should Cambo now play in Brown's possie?  (Read 1239 times)

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Should Cambo now play in Brown's possie?
« on: May 30, 2005, 05:04:46 PM »
Paul Gough seems to think so.....

-----------------------------

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=206169
Send Campbell up forward
3:43:37 PM Mon 30 May, 2005
Paul Gough
Sportal for afl.com.au
As Richmond coach Terry Wallace begins to plan for life without Nathan Brown he could do a lot worse than to summon former skipper Wayne Campbell to the rescue.

While Brown's vast array of talents means he is virtually irreplaceable, Campbell would certainly be capable of playing as the Tigers' medium-sized forward alongside the giant trio of Matthew Richardson, Troy Simmonds and Greg Stafford.

The 32-year-old, who could be in the final season of his magnificent career at Punt Road, has been used off the bench this year as he no longer commands a starting place in a midfield led by the new generation of skipper Kane Johnson, Mark Coughlan, Shane Tuck and Brett Deledio.

So why not play Campbell as a permanent forward for the rest of the season to ensure the Tigers' impressive strikepower this season - they are the league's fifth heaviest scorers - does not drop off too markedly in Brown's absence.

While Campbell alone could not cover for Brown - whose 34 goals so far made him the second highest goalscorer in the competition before he sustained his shocking leg injury on Friday night - the former skipper is more than capable of kicking goals on a regular basis.

Although Campbell has booted only 165 goals in 285 games that is mainly because he has spent most of his career in midfield and often has had to drift backwards rather than forward to help out the Tigers' defence in what for most of his career has been a struggling team.

But the four-time best and fairest winner has a lot going for him in terms of playing as a forward.

While he is not capable of kicking the kind of freakish ground-level goals that Brown can - virtually no-one in the AFL can - Campbell is a strong mark on the lead and a great set shot for goal.

He is a player that just like Brown makes the most of his opportunities and he is also capable, just like Brown, of bringing other players into the game on the forward line because he rarely wastes a possession.

And Campbell's other great asset is just like Brown he is an on-field leader and stationing him alongside Richardson for the rest of the season could also have a positive effect on the Tigers' other proven match-winner, who will now carry even more responsibility with Brown sidelined.

Campbell and Richardson have been teammates for 12 years and the former skipper is so often a steadying influence on his close mate.

When Richardson has the occasional brain fade by thinking of playing on when within kicking distance for goal after marking, it has often been Campbell who has been alongside him urging him to take his time and have a shot and this is a role he could fulfil even better if he was playing in a forward pocket alongside Richardson.

While Campbell, whose greatest bag of goals in a game (four) came against this week's opponent West Coast at the MCG in 2002, can provide another marking target in attack - the Tigers will also need a lift from their small forwards if they are to cover Brown's absence for the rest of the season and maintain their current top four standing.

In particular Kayne Pettifer and Andrew Krakouer will have to kick more goals with Pettifer having already showed signs of big improvement this year.

Pettifer is third on the Tigers' goals tally this year with 14 - after having kicked just five last year when his place on the list was under threat - while Krakouer is next with 13.

But those two will need to kick at least three goals between them a week if the Tigers are to cope without a player who has not only scored the most goals for the club this year but has also had the equal most kicks, the third most marks and the fourth most disposals for Richmond so far in 2005.

-------------------------------------------------

Personally I don't think Cambo should play FF or FP.

Cambo is a play maker, not a finisher - even though he is quite an acurate kick for goal.

He is of best service doing the passing to the forwards, not having the others try and pinpoint him with his slow leg speed.

I don't think Deledio is the answer either. Yes he already is a very good mark, yes he is fast off the lead, but he's only a kid. Let him run around and find the pill wihtout having to crash packs and having blokes whack him on the back of the head all day.

One thing we could try is putting Bowden at full forward and have someone like Jackson come in and try and play Bowden's role in the backline.

Another option is to throw Richo or Staff in at FF and leave Tambling in a pocket when he gets back.

No way should we even consider guys like Pettifer, Hilton, Morrison

« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 05:18:45 PM by JohnF »

letsgetiton!

Re: Should Cambo now play in Brown's possie?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 05:16:20 PM »
it wont hurt say to try him in that possy even say for a quarter or two or have it as a rotating position. wayne is a good finisher and cool in a crisis and his disposal inside 50 quite good also. it may woerk and he does how the footy smarts and experience

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 05:17:29 PM »
I don't think Cambo is the answer either John. Didn't come off the bench in the first quarter and go forward agains the Dees? I was told before the game on Friday night he was going to played forward.

This is what I said about Cambo in the "who can step up" thread:

---
Cambo in his prime could have played near goal but he doesn't have the leg speed and acceleration anymore to be a leading forward. I always felt Bowden could have been tried at FF as a surprise tactic but we really need his run and clean delivery off half-back.
----

It would be a big ask for Jackson to come in and play the "quarterback" or "sweeper" role that Joel does so well. Maybe we could trial swapping positions of Joel and Pettifer. Kayne wasn't bad in defence late last year. Newman would be another option off a HBF. He's having a rough time as a back pocket defender at the moment.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 05:26:53 PM »
LOL, sorry to reiterate much of what you've already said MT. Feel free to merge this thread wiht the "who can step up?" thread  :thumbsup

Whilst he's only a little bugger, I wouldn't mind seeing Hartigan have a go as sweeper either. has good pace and reads the play superbly. Only worry is his lack of height and his indiscriminate kicking at times.

Ox

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 05:43:43 PM »
Give Hilton a run.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 10:47:21 PM »
I would think that Deledio will be the first option. Good over head, strong hands and a good finisher. It is the defensive side to his game that worries me. One thing that Brown's been very good at this year is fighting to keep the ball in our F50.

I am not sure Campbell is the answer - granted he is a storng mark I reckon his lack of pace on thelead would be a worry. And I agree John his ability to set up a goal with his passing is needed more by the tigers at the moment.

As for Hilton Ox - I am not sure about that one either. Although he kicked 4 goals for Coburg he looked short of match fitness and coming up against a relatively quick side in the Eagles I think he would be found wanting and could even be classed as a liability in a fast flowing game. He really struggled on Sunday at Coburg in the second effort stakes the longer the game went on
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 08:59:36 AM »
Pets is a lead-mark forward......why not give him a crack?
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 04:35:06 PM »
As far as the gameplan goes it shouldn't be an issue who plays that possie as long as they are good on a lead and a good mark. If we get the ball quickly into our forward line  to one-out contests and pick the best option (not just got to Richo all the time) then we'll still kick plenty of goals. Our midfield and backline is still the same as that in the first 10 rounds.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 05:26:41 PM »
Pettifer hates physical contact and I haven't seen him take a contested mark in his whole career. There'll be lots of physicality and contests at FF.

Hilton will play a good game or two and then go missing for months at a time.

Offline tassie tiger

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 11:42:46 AM »
Pets is a lead-mark forward......why not give him a crack?
Why not give a few a crack....Campbell, Hilton, Krakouer, Pettifer...rotate them in and out..both on match day in the position but also through the team depending on form.  They may all be hot n cold a bit but why not try and take advantage when they are and adjust when they aren't?