Author Topic: Riewoldt contract talks stall / 9 big name Tigers out of contract (Age)  (Read 8429 times)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Is not surprising good players posturing over contract renewal,happens everywhere from geelong and hawthorn , all the way down. I expect we will sign who we want, more likely to shorter rather than longer contracts , so players keep the whip hand in future contract renewals. Also may cost us a player like Batch as rival clubs do a reverse wedgie to RFC in the manner we snaffled grigg and houli.

Good management will get it done :clapping
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Gigantor

Good post Bo...its pretty much how I see it too

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
The way I hear it Dustin has already reached an agreement and it will be announced shortly.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

gerkin greg

The way I hear it Dustin has already reached an agreement and it will be announced shortly.

just because you read something on a blackboard out the back of the bridge doesn't make it true, although in this case it probably is

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
I know it's a forum so we have to talk about it but surely we have enough salary cap space to meet the needs of our best 4 players and vice versa in the same way that Carlton, Collingwood, Hawthorn, cats, Sydney (need I go on?) have done in the past 10 years?

I just get the feeling that it is player managers talking to Caro - not the club - because they know that the Tiger faithful will pin some sort of credibility to it being from Caro as opposed to John Ralph or Robbo.

Dan Richardson is the best credentialed footy manager in the AFL with his background to deliver a dose of reality to our players and their managers.

Who would she know thats left at the club anyway?

There is absolutely no reason why those players with the right attitudes about success will leave.

Frankly, if they do - it might require a sacrificial lamb to send the message to the rest of the players.
Port Power let Nick Stevens go but did it cost them a flag?
Kangas did the same with Colby.
Cats Ablett

Club heaps bigger than individual if it came down to it.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Dougeytherichmondfan

Hmm, may well be a beat up but I'm shocked that these guys (particularly JR) would be squibling over contracts. I was pretty disappointed they couldn't sign Cotch for longer than 2 years. All things go to plan and we'll be pushing for a flag and Cotch will be at the top of his game in two years, necessitating top dollar.

Also heard from a friend that West Coast are keen on signing Reece Conca, don't know what his source was but apparently they're offering him more than we can. Plus the come home factor, could end up over there in 2014. Eep!

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Hmm, may well be a beat up but I'm shocked that these guys (particularly JR) would be squibling over contracts. I was pretty disappointed they couldn't sign Cotch for longer than 2 years. All things go to plan and we'll be pushing for a flag and Cotch will be at the top of his game in two years, necessitating top dollar.

Also heard from a friend that West Coast are keen on signing Reece Conca, don't know what his source was but apparently they're offering him more than we can. Plus the come home factor, could end up over there in 2014. Eep!
They'll have to give up someone for him or a top 10 draft pick or both.  They will not finish last to pick him up in the PSD and he is not a free agent for a long time.
So they can want him all they want but he aint going nowhere!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
I don't like it when Caro knows something at the club.

I can't understand why there would be anyone at the club that would want to talk with her.
Like Y&B suggested its she's probably getting the info from player managers to work the system I would be flabbergasted if anyone at the club would even entertain the idea of talking to her about anything at the club especially player contracts.
The club that keeps giving.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
Another thing. 

If we played Griffiths at CHF and kept him there for a good go at it we would know by now if he was worth persisting with, at the minute we are none the wiser although it looks like he may be a bust.
But if he was good we could at least get rid of Vickery because at the minute he has currency and still the potential tag, secondly he (vickery) is the most frustrating player on our list at the minute it's excruciatingly painful to watch him play.

I think the club erred when they played Miller ahead of youngsters and its even more of an error playing Lockup as the third tall when its prime development position for an up and comer like Griffiths, Elton or McBean. Sometimes you just need to throw em in the deep end and see if they can swim and the third tall position is ideal where they could concetrate on defensive side of the game as well as forward positioning and Griffiths would be ideal for this IMO.

By Playing Griff we would've known more one way or the other.

Offline Golfprotiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Risking Head and Shin
I know it's a forum so we have to talk about it but surely we have enough salary cap space to meet the needs of our best 4 players and vice versa in the same way that Carlton, Collingwood, Hawthorn, cats, Sydney (need I go on?) have done in the past 10 years?

I just get the feeling that it is player managers talking to Caro - not the club - because they know that the Tiger faithful will pin some sort of credibility to it being from Caro as opposed to John Ralph or Robbo.

Dan Richardson is the best credentialed footy manager in the AFL with his background to deliver a dose of reality to our players and their managers.

Who would she know thats left at the club anyway?

There is absolutely no reason why those players with the right attitudes about success will leave.

Frankly, if they do - it might require a sacrificial lamb to send the message to the rest of the players.
Port Power let Nick Stevens go but did it cost them a flag?
Kangas did the same with Colby.
Cats Ablett

Club heaps bigger than individual if it came down to it.

As Yellow&Black says Dan Richardson is the man!!!' :clapping
Tommy Hafey - "There's nothing more tiger-ish than a bloody tiger, a wounded tiger''

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Another thing. 

If we played Griffiths at CHF and kept him there for a good go at it we would know by now if he was worth persisting with, at the minute we are none the wiser although it looks like he may be a bust.
But if he was good we could at least get rid of Vickery because at the minute he has currency and still the potential tag, secondly he (vickery) is the most frustrating player on our list at the minute it's excruciatingly painful to watch him play.

I think the club erred when they played Miller ahead of youngsters and its even more of an error playing Lockup as the third tall when its prime development position for an up and comer like Griffiths, Elton or McBean. Sometimes you just need to throw em in the deep end and see if they can swim and the third tall position is ideal where they could concetrate on defensive side of the game as well as forward positioning and Griffiths would be ideal for this IMO.

I've been on the Griff bandwagon for a while.  Compared to Brisbane's Lisle, he is a much better player. Brisbane has persisted with Lisle even though Hawthorn discarded him and now he is flourishing because the coach has shown faith in him.  I know everyone is demanding that he tear the house down in the reserves, but he is the type of player that will flourish if our coaching staff showed the same faith in him as Brisbane has in Lisle.  Would rather him ATM than Edwards.  McBean has to develop his body a little bit more but he may be the best option of the four in the end (Griff, Edwards, McGuane and McBean).
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
Another thing. 

I've been on the Griff bandwagon for a while.  Compared to Brisbane's Lisle, he is a much better player. Brisbane has persisted with Lisle even though Hawthorn discarded him and now he is flourishing because the coach has shown faith in him.  I know everyone is demanding that he tear the house down in the reserves, but he is the type of player that will flourish if our coaching staff showed the same faith in him as Brisbane has in Lisle.  Would rather him ATM than Edwards.  McBean has to develop his body a little bit more but he may be the best option of the four in the end (Griff, Edwards, McGuane and McBean).
Agreed.  :thumbsup

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
x 2.

Must be played in the 2nd half of the season and given a decent run at it for at least 3 to 6 weeks.

Who knows could turn a critical game for the club when it needs a win, or even better a in a finals match.

Lock-up aint the future, and although Griif has immediate deficiencies, surely he has got greater upside for the mid term than a 2 possession 2 sacrificial act 29 y-o HFF at his 3rd club.

End of rant..... again

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
x 2.

Must be played in the 2nd half of the season and given a decent run at it for at least 3 to 6 weeks.

Who knows could turn a critical game for the club when it needs a win, or even better a in a finals match.

Lock-up aint the future, and although Griif has immediate deficiencies, surely he has got greater upside for the mid term than a 2 possession 2 sacrificial act 29 y-o HFF at his 3rd club.

End of rant..... again
Needed to be said again..again.  :clapping

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
Agree, not once, nor twice, but thrice.  :thumbsup