Author Topic: Hartly's radar  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
Re: Hartly's radar
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2013, 12:02:02 PM »
Bit of lateral thinking here, but thoughts on Cooney chucking on the old yellow and black? could free Lids up a bit

Not after 3 minutes of footy I saw from him yesterday, cost the Doggies big time with 2 really soft clearance that resulted in turnovers & goals to the Swans.

Meant the Doggies went from 8 points down with 2:30 mins to go into the 3rd to being 20 points down & goneskis. For a senior player, their highest paid player it was very poor indeed

WGAF. If he's not expensive then have a crack. Can play the game

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2013, 12:04:07 PM »
Bit of lateral thinking here, but thoughts on Cooney chucking on the old yellow and black? could free Lids up a bit

Not after 3 minutes of footy I saw from him yesterday, cost the Doggies big time with 2 really soft clearance that resulted in turnovers & goals to the Swans.

Meant the Doggies went from 8 points down with 2:30 mins to go into the 3rd to being 20 points down & goneskis. For a senior player, their highest paid player it was very poor indeed

What about his dodgy knee?

Can play the game? He's a front runner  ;D

Still cannot believe he won that Brownlow  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Rampstar

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 12:04:38 PM »
Get Bob Murphy over for a year or two.

I agree with this. He is still a good player and seems like a quality bloke as well.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 02:25:26 PM »

Did it without drugs though which is more than we can say for Watson and boy did I let Watto know that yesterday.  :shh

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 02:47:51 PM »

Yeah he has a dodgy knee but we pay good $ to Foley and Grimes to sit on the sidelines. Didn't deserve his brownlow but he's a good player. Would be brilliant up forward for us, swapping with Lids & Martin through the middle.

gerkin greg

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 02:51:32 PM »
Coon Dog bring me some burger rings mate  :cheers

Offline Sandtiger

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 03:53:10 PM »

Yeah he has a dodgy knee but we pay good $ to Foley and Grimes to sit on the sidelines. Didn't deserve his brownlow but he's a good player. Would be brilliant up forward for us, swapping with Lids & Martin through the middle.

I agree, cant over spend for him but at the right price would be very valuable even if for the next few years while McDoughnuts  matures.

dwaino

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 04:46:02 PM »
Woah. Coon dog, Grimes, Griffiths, Knights, Foley. Best rehab group in the comp  :shh

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2013, 10:39:52 PM »
Tom Nichols, gorringe or lycett for ruckman. Nichols is 3rd in line at GC, stunning how well he's played this season.

Don't rate gumbleton.

Any small fwds out of contract or do we try and fill this list need via the draft?
Nichols is going to be something special.. Really good athletically and competes like a midfielder. Would YOU give up our first pick for him if we had pick 10ish?
Potentially a 10 year player.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2013, 10:41:52 PM »
Tom Nichols, gorringe or lycett for ruckman. Nichols is 3rd in line at GC, stunning how well he's played this season.

Don't rate gumbleton.

Any small fwds out of contract or do we try and fill this list need via the draft?
Nichols is going to be something special.. Really good athletically and competes like a midfielder. Would YOU give up our first pick for him if we had pick 10ish?
Potentially a 10 year player.

I wouldn't give up pick one. Maybe 2 and a decent mature player (White, McGuane, Nahas) if they were still of the belief they need more mature bodies

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2013, 11:41:18 PM »
Get Cooney, Watts or Sylvia! Either one of them would be a big scalp!

Watts can play, problem is he is at Melbourne!

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2013, 01:13:06 PM »
Update:

Round 20   Sat 10 Aug   
Brisbane   MCG   46961   
Win 97-74

Code: [Select]
B  - Astbury. Chaplin. Morris.
HB - Houli. Rance. Vlastuin.
C  - Ellis. Cotchin. Deledio.
HF - Foley. Vickery. Newman
F  - Conca. Riewoldt. McGaune.
OB - Maric. Martin. Jackson.
I  - Grigg. White. Nahas.
+1 - Tuck

Outside of senior side:

Code: [Select]
31:
30: Stephenson# (8 )
29: King (87), A.Edwards (82)
-------------------------------------------
28: -
27:
26: Knights (96), Lonergan# (79)
25: Derickx (2),
24: S.Edwards (109),, Petterd# (54)
23:
-------------------------------------------
22:
21: Batchelor (30), Dea (21), Griffiths (18 ), Grimes (17), Helbig (15),
20: Elton (1)
19: Arnot (-), O'Hanlon (8 ), McIntosh (-), McDonough (-), Darrou# (-), Verrier# (-)
18: McBean (-), Williams# (-), Simon# (-)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2013, 01:55:55 PM »
Tigs List Analysis/Mid Year Review
 'Richmond'  Jun 8, 2013.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/tigs-list-analysis-mid-year-review.1011407/

For those of you who haven't noticed, I take a fair interest in the List Management/Draft side of the club so have been working on a list analysis/season review throughout the last few weeks. Would have had it up last week but that loss kind of stuffed that plan up. This week just been adding to it and adjusting and bye week seems like a better time to unveil anyway so thank you for that Richmond. :rolleyes::p

First of all I thought we'd have a look at a depth chart of the list (by position) and break the players up into the categories of junior (19 year old/first year) development (20-22 years old) mature (23-28 years old) Veteran (29+) *Ages at end of 2013

Small Defenders: Bachar Houli, Steven Morris, Steven Verrier
Medium Defenders: Ricky Petterd, Jake Batchelor, Matthew Dea, Kamdyn McIntosh
Tall Defenders: Troy Chaplin, Alex Rance, David Astbury, Dylan Grimes, Todd Elton, Ben Darrou
Small Forwards: Jake King, Shane Edwards, Matthew White, Robin Nahas, Matthew McDonough, Gideon Simon
Medium Forwards: Aaron Edwards, Chris Knights, Brett O'Hanlon
Tall Forwards: Jack Riewoldt, Luke McGuane, Tyrone Vickery, Ben Griffiths, Liam McBean
Rucks: Orren Stephenson, Ivan Maric, Tom Derickx
Small Midfielders: Chris Newman, Nathan Foley, Sam Lonergan, Brandon Ellis, Matthew Arnot
Medium Midfielders: Shane Tuck, Brett Deledio, Daniel Jackson, Shaun Grigg, Trent Cotchin, Dustin Martin, Reece Conca, Brad Helbig, Nick Vlastuin, Cadeyn Williams

Looking at this chart we aren't going to lose many veterans over the next few years that can't be replaced/upgraded. We have a fair bit of quality in the junior/development categories as well as guys only just scraping into the mature stages. (23/24 year olds) Once more of those blue names become red names the better chance we will have of competing with the top sides on a weekly basis. As I've been saying the last couple of weeks we need to get more games into the guys in the development category.

In terms of depth at certain positions (in no particular order):
1) We are probably still a KPF short, especially with McGuane probably not being around much longer.
2) We could use a medium defender who uses the ball at a high level to help Houli out with rebounding out of defence.
3) Could invest in another medium forward as Edwards won't be around for long being in the veteran category and Knights being injury prone. Though midfielders should be able to fill out the flanks ideally.
4) Rucks!! We may only have 1 first ruck by next year.
5) Small Forwards we have a good spread in terms of veteran through to junior but the quality in the mature stakes is a bit suspect. A crumbing forward would be nice.
6) More midfielders that can fill out flanks as medium defenders/forwards thus fixing area 2 and 3.

MY CURRENT BEST 22:

B: Dylan Grimes Troy Chaplin Matthew Dea
HB: Steven Morris Alex Rance Bachar Houli
C: Brandon Ellis Trent Cotchin Chris Newman
HF: Dustin Martin Jack Riewoldt Nathan Foley
F: Shane Edwards Tyrone Vickery Jake King
R: Ivan Maric Brett Deledio Shane Tuck
INT: Reece Conca Shaun Grigg Nick Vlastuin
SUB: Chris Knights

Good mix of youth/experience. 3 veterans, 6 youngsters and the other 13 are mature players heading into their prime years. Next season another 3 go into the mature category.

BACKLINE: Consists of the 3 key defenders that we try to play each week (Chaplin, Grimes, Rance) with Rance playing at CHB away from the last line where he is most effective. We have the 2 small lock down defenders (Dea, Morris) who can both provide some run off half back while also stopping their man. Then we have our rebounding, attacking defender in Houli whose job it is to run and create and have the opposition worry more about him than scoring. We have a couple of midfielders who can drop back and help give these guys a breather (Ellis, Newman, Vlastuin, Deledio)

MIDFIELD: Consists of a 11 man rotation (Ellis, Cotchin, Newman, Martin, Foley, Deledio, Tuck, Conca, Vlastuin, Edwards, Grigg) and would be our biggest area of strength when we are fully fit. Obviously this season we haven’t had a lot of luck in this regard. The advantage with our midfielders is a lot of them are quite versatile and can either help out down back or push forward. To improve, I’d like to see us recruit another half forward/midfielder (maybe Ben Lennon?) who would slot in where Foley is and push Foley to the bench. Also, Newman won’t be around forever so a speedy, skilful wingman is another area of need. (maybe a Dayle Garlett?)

RUCKS: Ivan and Tyrone sharing the ruck duties (75/25?) Fully fit Ivan is very good but obviously struggling through injury this year. Won’t be around forever so a replacement needs to be looked at through either trade (Daniel Currie?) or drafting a youngster to take his place in 3-4 years (late draft/rookie we can get one or two). Tyrone is ok in the ruck when he wants to and will only get better. Still needs to get some consistency with his intensity on a week-to-week basis and we will have a very good ruck combination.

FORWARD LINE: Made up of 3-4 permanent forwards, 2 tall (Jack and Tyrone) and one-two smalls (King), if you include a pinch-hitting Edwards playing predominantly forward. The rest is made up of rotating midfielders for a rest. This is an area I think we can get stronger in by playing just the two tall forwards allowing an extra midfield rotation so we can rest our guns at FF more often as well as having Edwards play 80% up forward, where his crumbing as well as marking can be put to best use.

MID SEASON PLAYER REVIEW (BY POSITION)

Small Defenders

14. Bachar Houli - 180cm 84kg (contracted until 2014)
Games: 10
Goals: 3
Houli is our best disposer off the half back line. Will be a best 22 player until we find more players who can use the ball at an elite level. Not renowned for being the toughest player or the best defensive player going around but due to his work ethic has improved considerably since his first day at the club. Nowadays, he will always go when it's his turn and regularly gets a fist in to prevent an opposition mark. First year he came he seemed to squib a few contests costing us goals. I think a few fans haven’t really forgiven him for this so he still cops a bit. He also runs extremely hard to provide an option up the field. We’d win a lot more games if the rest of the team followed his lead. So far has been one of our best performers and is forming an integral part of a solid back 6.

38. Steven Morris - 185cm 83kg (contracted until 2014)
Games: 9
Goals: 1
His height could have put him in the medium defenders but he shuts down oppositions best small so he fits here for me. Morris is our most trusty lock down player who can be given a job each week on the oppositions most dangerous small forward and nearly every week comes away with a win. So far his scalps include Betts, Milne, Dalhaus, Elliot, Motlop, Lecras amongst others. Has worked hard on his foot skills, which have improved remarkably and he can now be used as a legitimate option to rebound out of defensive 50. Another who runs hard to create an option regularly up the field, which in turn is making the oppositions best small forward accountable defensively. So far has conceded 6 goals in 9 games to his direct opponent and it's no surprise the one game where the opposition small got a hold of us was the Fremantle game which Morris didn't play.

49. Steven Verrier (Rookie) - 187cm 84kg (2nd year rookie)
Games: 0
Goals: 0
Again he could be classified as a medium defender but he plays on small forwards at VFL level so he fits here. Development rookie who regularly tries his guts out. Regularly plays roles as a lock down defender or a midfield tagger at VFL level. Verrier is a pretty good athlete but it’s his foot skills, which regularly can let him down. At times kicks the ball nicely but other times can kick some absolute howlers. Needs to find some consistency with his skills and soon as he is a 2nd year rookie and odds are he won’t get a 3rd year to develop as a smaller type player.

SUMMARY: Overall I like Houli and Morris in the side. Both these two guys will be on the list next year but I have my doubts that Verrier will be around for 2014. Personally I prefer bigger type defenders (Morris/Dea) as they tend to worry the small forwards with their size, so preferably won’t recruit too many in this area. Besides, Ellis or Newman can go back here if injuries hit. Grimes can also play as a small when necessary.

Medium Defenders

7. Matthew Dea - 186cm 87kg (contracted until 2013)
Games: 2
This kid is one of my favourites. He is tough, skilled, and as clean below his knees as anyone else at the club. Just doesn’t fumble the ball. Currently in his fourth year and needs to start getting a regular game. Long term I can see Dea forming an important part of our back 6 or 7. Can shut down a man quite capably and is offering great rebound at VFL level. Needs to stay in the team once given a game to give him the confidence he belongs so that he will offer us that rebound at AFL level and we will have a very good player. Showed in the West Coast game what he has to offer both offensively and defensively. Hopefully can fight and retain his spot for the rest of the year.

11. Jake Batchelor - 188cm 87kg (contracted until 2013)
Games: 7
Finally getting a regular game at AFL level and hopefully stays that way. He is being played out of position each week as an under sized KPD and in my opinion it’s for this reason he has had some inconsistencies from week to week. Will be best suited playing as either a medium defender or as our loose man in defence as his best assets in my opinion are his ability to read the play and his intercept marking. I feel like Batch often lacks a bit of concentration when it comes to his kicking and just needs to make sure he is focused on every kick and his kicking will then turn into a genuine weapon for us coming out of the back half. Can’t afford lapses in concentration or to get complacent with Petterd on the list but he is far and away the better option of the two. Played a fantastic game on Jack Darling in Round 10 which should boost his confidence heading into the back half of the year. He's probably a borderline best 22 player at this stage. Fighting it out with Dea if we have everyone available.

13. Ricky Petterd (Rookie) - 185cm 85kg (1st year rookie)
Games: 5
Handy enough back up player if the other two blokes are out injured or struggling for form and he should force Batch to keep his concentration up as he will be under the pump to keep his spot. He is strong in the air and can play a role loose in defence to help out our KPD’s with a spoil. Petterd’s kicking though is an area of concern, which is why he shouldn’t be in the best 22 on a weekly basis. Nearly 25 years of age and not sure it will ever improve enough. He is a handy depth player though and has been ok without being great in the 5 games he played prior to injury.

33. Kamdyn McIntosh - 192cm 88kg (contracted until 2014)
First year player who when recruited was said to have a big enough tank and speed to play on a wing. He had a good end to the season at WAFL seniors level. At this stage is finding VFL level a bit more difficult but has had some good games. In my opinion he looks a bit awkward and un-natural as a footballer but he is still effective at times. Bit of a development project and is being thrown into some different roles at Coburg in defence and the midfield (tagger).

SUMMARY: Whilst not a huge number of players (4) in this category, we have some good, promising players in Dea & Batchelor who are ready to go now with Petterd as the back-up in case of an inevitable injury to our back line. McIntosh is the development prospect so we have someone coming through for the future too. Other depth we have is sending back a Deledio or Vlastuin as well as having a Grimes or Rance play smaller if that’s what a match up requires. I’d be expecting all to be on the list next year with Petterd retained as a rookie.

Tall Defenders

2. Dylan Grimes - 193cm 88kg (contracted until 2013)
Bloody injuries. I think most would agree when fit Dylan is our best defender by a fair way. It will be so crucial that we can get this kids body right over the next few years. His brother took a while to get over his injuries so there is hope. When he arrived at the club he was purely a defensive player but has worked his backside off to improve his kicking and offers pretty good rebound out of defence. We can pretty rely on him blanketing his opponent each week and putting that match up down as a win before the ball is bounced. Not only is he our best defender but is so versatile as he can play on a small, medium or tall forward so with him back there we can cover whatever the opposition throw at us.

12. David Astbury - 195cm 96kg (contracted until 2014)
Astbury had a very good first season for the club but is yet another KPD who has suffered more than his fair share of injuries. In my opinion is probably our 4th best KPD and with Grimes down injured Astbury should be filling his spot. It was good to see him named in the squad for the Eagles game so he is getting close to a game in the seniors. I think he could make a very good FB for the club long term as he is a great size. Astbury is very composed down on the last line of defence and is probably the best kick of all our KPD’s. Start adding more guys in like Astbury and our kicking out of defence will improve immensely rather than us fans having to worry all the time.

18. Alex Rance - 194cm 96kg (contracted until 2013)
Much maligned KPD by fans but he was back to his best in the Dreamtime and West Coast games. In my opinion he just needs to be played away from Full Back. When played up the ground as a CHB he regularly beats his opponent and doesn’t panic with his kicking. He is at his best when he isn't stuck wrestling with an opponent and he can run and jump at the ball. His kicking in my opinion isn’t as horrible as made out and it more comes down to his decision-making and composure. Needs to take his time and pick the best option each time. There aren’t 54 supremely skilled KPD’s in the league and some of the top clubs have blokes who don’t dispose of the ball well but they can be carried provided they have good kicks around them, which we are starting to do.

25. Troy Chaplin - 195cm 99kg (contracted until 2016)
Mature aged recruit from Port brought across to shore up our injury prone back line. Early days at this stage after missing nearly the entire pre season but he seems to have been a good acquisition. Plays his best zoning off his man and helping out the other defenders so it will be good to play him on oppositions resting ruckman who he is big enough to match up on as well as allowing him to zone off. Chaplin is also suited to play a loose man role in defence, which would allow him to help double team the big power forwards of the league like Cloke. Despite the criticism of his kicking from Power fans he has been solid without being elite in this area of his game. Very much a part of our best 22 and has been a good pick up for the club.

43. Todd Elton - 197cm 97kg (contracted until 2013)
Wasn’t sure whether to put him as a KPD or KPF. He is currently playing Full Back for Coburg so we will put him in our defensive options. At 197cm and a fantastic athlete he looks like he could be our big gorilla defender in the mould of a Daniel Talia or Jake Carlisle. However, others like him to be our big CHF in the mould of a Travis Cloke. I’d just like to see us pick a spot for him and develop him there. Elton has a very strong aerial game, which will translate, to either end of the ground with his contested marking. One area that he needs to improve is his kicking. When taking his time around the ground he kicks it at a reasonable level but his kicking for goal leaves a lot to be desired. As a FB we’d have to have blokes running hard to create an easy option for him to dispose to.

49. Ben Darrou (Rookie) - 190cm 97kg (2nd year rookie)
Darrou is a development player in his second year on the rookie list. Didn’t show a lot last year from what I saw so has shown huge improvement this year and as a Full Back he regularly beats his opponent. At 190cm he may never be a KPD and more of a third tall, so it has been really important that he has shown strong development in his rebounding game compared to last year. Uses the ball at a high level. As a rookie we are now allowed to keep him on for a 3rd year provided the player agrees and I feel like he is a keeper and if he shows that same level of improvement in his 3rd year we could have a keeper.

SUMMARY: We have 3 good key defenders in the best 22. (Chaplin, Rance, Grimes) It’s a shame the best one is constantly getting injured. It’s for this reason our 4th in line (Astbury) needs to be getting games pumped into him while he’s in good VFL form. We have 2 kids (Elton and Darrou) in development stage for the future. All 6 key defenders should be around in 2014 with Darrou hopefully retained for a 3rd year so he can fight for promotion and continue his strong development path.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2013, 01:59:05 PM »
SUMMARY: Our top end is fantastic with Cotchin, Deledio, Martin with Conca and Vlastuin pushing their names up as well. A couple of older experienced guys like Tuck and Jackson as well as development guys like Helbig and Williams. We need more development guys in this category. Whether they are inside mids, outside mids or a combination. We do well using our first rounders but then 2nd rounders onwards are often small blokes or flankers or KPP. More midfielders as our quality of depth has failed us in a few games this year.

Now to look at the guys who may struggle to be on the list next year who could be trying to save their career with a big second half of the season.

SHOULD BE GONE:

Tom Derickx – our ruck depth saved him a year ago but he’s no good so try someone else.

Robin Nahas – try facilitate a trade if anyone wants him (unlikely) otherwise delist him. Too small and one-sided. Now he’s lost his speed.

Steven Verrier – hasn’t shown enough for a small to get a 3rd year on the rookie list or a promotion.

PLAYING FOR CAREER

Aaron Edwards – too small for a KPF and he’s already 29yo. Not going to get any better and we aren’t a premiership contender yet.

Matthew White – another small who isn’t getting any better. Not skilful enough but does offer us some much needed pace so could survive.

Luke McGuane – hope he gets picked up as a free agent otherwise delist. We need to do better or at least try to. Could survive to be depth but hopefully some youngsters step up and he’s not required.

Sam Lonergan – handy back up for this year but we need to try find a diamond in the rough. Try a skilled state leaguer like a Chris Cain.

Ricky Petterd – borderline for mine. Probably gets another year if he gets his body right. He may even choose to go elsewhere for a main list spot.

NEED TO SHOW SOMETHING

Matthew Arnot – needs to start getting games as he’s physically developed, but not overly skilled. A lot of question marks for mine with how much upside he has.

MIGHT RETIRE

Orren Stephenson – should stay if he doesn’t retire. We need the back-up.

TRADE BAIT

Daniel Jackson – could stay as a mature body depth player but if a team came calling for him as a free agent I wouldn’t be upset. May get an end of 2nd or a 3rd rounder as compo.

Nathan Foley – a young team who needs a mature body rather than more kids could try get a pick around 20 for him. If not keep him. Worry he won’t be around for much longer and we may have seen his best. Is borderline in my best 22 now (which is a good thing)

Ben Griffiths - seems to lack the intensity required for a KPP. If we could get roughly what we paid for him we'd have to consider it otherwise a keeper.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2013, 02:00:24 PM »
Small Forwards

10. Shane Edwards - 182cm 83kg (contracted until 2014)
Goals: 6
Edwards plays his best footy as a small forward who can pinch-hit through the midfield rather than a pure midfielder in my opinion. As a midfielder he can do some brilliant work in the clearances with his quick hands. But too much of him in there and he starts to make too many mistakes because he takes a lot of risks with his play. I think he is our best small forward despite some weeks being a bit wayward. I feel this waywardness comes because he often can get shots at goal away that none of our other small forwards can get. He may miss a few of them but a Nahas wouldn’t even get a shot on goal. He is a nice height for a small forward and is strong in the air as well as dangerous at ground level. Both of these strengths highlighted by his 2 goals in the West Coast game.

26. Robin Nahas - 176cm 75kg (contracted until 2013)
Nahas has gone backwards and to me seems to have lost a fair bit of speed. Without his speed he’s pretty much lost his one weapon at AFL level and he is struggling massively without it. He’s not big enough, not quick enough and not skilful enough to take us to the next level. I think we should try facilitate a trade for him or he will likely be delisted come the end of the year as he isn’t getting any better and now has no real weapons for the top level.

28. Jake King - 178cm 82kg (contracted until 2013)
Goals: 15
Our much-loved small forward is probably having his best year so far. Is averaging 1.6 goals per game which has been very handy. Hopefully can stay injury free for the remainder of the season, as he is a barometer for how the team performs. Tough as nails and has surprised me with his skill level the last couple of years. At his age though we need to be looking to recruit his future replacement, as he won’t be around forever. Maybe McDonough will start in his position eventually.

35. Matthew White - 180cm 84kg (contracted until 2013)
White is a guy that when given the opportunity at senior level tries his absolute guts out. Played his best game of the year against West Coast where he broke the lines with his speed and hit the scoreboard. The key to White is he needs to be able to back it up as he has shown this ability at times but then will go missing in other games. Been around long enough that he needs to find some consistency to his game or we need to try draft someone else better.

36. Matthew McDonough - 180cm 84kg (contracted until 2014)
Recruited from SA as a small forward who can play midfield. He is already starting to play high quality footy at VFL level and will hopefully keep that going and force his way into the Richmond team through strong performances. I think he could turn into a high possession goal kicking midfielder long term but just needs to build his tank and lose some puppy fat. McDonough is an elite kick of the footy who is looking like a potential 200 gamer at this early stage. He is also very strong at stoppages and can win multiple clearances.

SUMMARY: Overall, there are a lot of numbers in this category without a lot of quality. King & Edwards are established first team players, but Edwards has been forced into full time midfield. White and Nahas are the back-ups and really aren’t up to AFL standard. Nahas should be put up for trade and hopefully some one bites on White in free agency but otherwise looks like delist material unless he can consistently perform at a higher level with the WC game being a good start. In the development category we have McDonough and Simon. McDonough looks very promising as a midfield/forward and Simon is a massive project player. These 6 players should be trimmed to 4 with another kid recruited who like McDonough has midfield potential but is more a crumbing forward than a lead-up forward.

Medium Forwards

15. Chris Knights - 184cm 84kg (contracted until 2015)
Goals: 6
Was another Free Agency pick up who offered a lot to our midfield as the link up man to the forward line. Looked dangerous near goal and was kicking a few goals. Sometimes got a bit hungry and burnt teammates but with his high level kicking skills I don’t mind that as we often struggle for accuracy unless our best kicks are taking the shots. Shame he got injured when he did as he was finally getting some continuity and becoming an integral part of the team.

27. Aaron Edwards - 184cm 93kg (contracted until 2013)
Games: 1
Not a pick-up I particularly liked but could understand us wanting a ready to go Full Forward in case Jack went down. At 29 years of age and only 184cm not sure it was the way to go. He has shown some good form at VFL level and probably deserves the opportunity over McGuane. He is a good kick for goal so will at least make the most of his opportunities in front of goal. What impressed me most in his one game so far was his defensive pressure which he has never been renowned for. Hopefully can keep that level up.

45. Brett O'Hanlon - 189cm 89kg (contracted until 2013)
Our only developing medium forward which is something that needs addressing. He has been suffering with injury for a large chunk of this season so far and has been missed at Coburg. O’Hanlon can play a few roles from half-forward to half-back as well as wing. Is one of the better kicks at the club and was also one of the better contested marks in his draft year. As he gains some form and fitness at VFL level I would love to see him play a few games in Grigg’s role on a wing, if Grigg doesn’t pull his finger out soon and get his work rate up.

SUMMARY: A real area of weakness for the club. Two guys brought in during the off-season and one kid in his second year. I think this role needs to be taken by a guy who can play midfield too. Knights is done for the year and although he is best 22 quality there must be queries on his durability to last a season. Edwards is more a KPF but very under sized and can’t play midfield. O’Hanlon is the long term prospect who has looked ok at AFL level and has good potential. Last year we looked our best though when we played midfielders through this role in Martin, Cotchin and Deledio. Gives us an extra rotation through the middle. Another of these types in the draft would be nice.

Tall Forwards

8. Jack Riewoldt - 195cm 94kg (contracted until 2013)
Goals: 31
Comfortably our best KPF and needs to be re-signed ASAP. 2 x Coleman Medallist, very strong contested mark, a fantastic kick of the footy and has excellent footy smarts. I wouldn’t mindtrying him further up the ground at CHF more often with Griffiths at FF. Jack is a much better player when he is moving more. He is also an elite field kick so he would be able to hit up leading forwards such as Ty, Griff, Dusty, Lids, Cotch etc. Despite the regular media criticism of his defensive game he is very good in this area for a KPF.

16. Luke McGuane - 195cm 94kg (contracted until 2013)
Goals: 14
Started the season off well but has since lost form and not offering much in the forward line. Has taken some very strong marks up forward and also offers good defensive pressure for a KPF but ultimately doesn’t do enough. Personally think he needs to be delisted at the end of the year. It’s blocking the development of another player. Maybe someone will sign him as a Free Agent and we may snag a 3rd round compensation pick with a bit of luck.

24. Ben Griffiths - 200cm 104kg (contracted until 2013)
Games: 1
Big Ben needs to start delivering soon. Nowhere being in delisting territory but needs to be given a position and told to own it. To me and I believe others he should be the Coburg FF and left there to develop. We all know how big and athletic he is and he is a super kick of the footy. If he can get a few marks within 60m of goal you can pencil him in for 3-4 goals. One thing that in my opinion is holding him back is the way he has been thrown from one end to the other. He isn’t a KPD no matter how good his kick ins are. The other thing that has disappointed me is the last couple of weeks once moving forward to start games is he gets thrown back within a few minutes. Please don’t turn him into another Post. From Griffiths end he needs to start playing with some mongrel and intensity so he can get some games at AFL level. He looks like a real confidence player who has zero at the moment. May be one we offer up for trade at the end of the year to try get a pick around what we paid for him.

29. Tyrone Vickery - 200cm 97kg (contracted until 2014)
Goals: 11
Tyrone divides opinion amongst supporters but with the injuries he’s copped and at still a tender age for a big bloke he still has a lot of development. Was fantastic in 2011 with his 36 goals but playing with injuries (not his fault) in 2012 seems to have burnt a few credits. This year has had a few good games and a few bad games. As the 2nd half of the year comes around I want to see the gap between his best and worst close. Not expecting him to tear teams apart but just get rid of the bad games and be average at worst. Sometimes I feel like he picks and chooses when to have a crack, which is a bit disappointing and for this reason we see such fluctuating form. Vickery is that prototype KPF/Ruck that all clubs are looking for and we are lucky to have Tyrone. Just needs to keep developing and working hard as he has the tools to be a very good player. Two of his last 3 games have been really good games. (Melbourne/WC) Finally seems to have the confidence to get his arms up to full stretch making him a very awkward match-up.

34. Liam McBean - 202cm 92kg (contracted until 2014)
What’s not to like about McBean? A super agile 203cm KPF with elite kicking skills. It has been a while since we have unearthed a potential gem like this. 17 goals in 6 VFL games and has been kicking them from everywhere and in anyway possible. The kid moves like a midfielder, crumbs like a small forward but can compete in the air like a legit 203cm player. Has been developing his game and body nicely having added 7 kilos in the off-season. Unfortunately I can’t see us getting a glimpse of McBean this year and fair enough as he’s still a stick insect. Another pre-season though and we could have our CHF. There are exciting times ahead for the club and supporters.

SUMMARY: We have 5 KPF’s on the list, which isn’t a lot but we do have some quality there meaning we don’t need a heap more. A 2 x Coleman Medallist covers one spot every week. Vickery is promising and if he finds consistency we have 2 spots covered, which realistically could be enough anyway. Griffiths needs to step up soon and could give us our 3rd KPF that we want to play with while McBean is a development player who won’t play till next year. McGuane should be gone at the end of the year (FA or delist) and another kid drafted into his place.

Rucks

20. Ivan Maric - 200cm 102kg (contracted until 2014)
Big Ivan was a revelation last year but appears to be struggling with injury in 2013. One of the big reasons we have had a few down games where we get spanked in the centre. Maric is an absolute work horse though who tries his guts our no matter what. His ability to get around the ground and his skills seem to have diminished a bit since the injury. Wouldn’t mind seeing him get a rest to get it right. I don’t want to see him broken before we develop a replacement. Last year his strengths were his ability to get back and help the defence, his tap work to advantage, his ability to block opponents for our mids to get easy possessions and he had the added bonus of being a good kick. We desperately need a fully fit Ivan back in the team.

37. Orren Stephenson (Rookie) - 200cm 104kg (1st year rookie)
Games: 2
Mature aged rookie who was very handy against Port. We wouldn’t want him rucking for weeks on end but will be handy to nurse Ivan through his injuries. Play him against the weaker teams with weaker ruckmen as he provides a contest and is decent around the ground. He probably won’t last more than another season.

39. Tom Derickx - 201cm 100kg (contracted until 2013)
I’m sorry to say but this is a waste of a list spot. He’s already 25 years old and spent 2 years doing nothing on the list. An area we need to get better at is turning guys over quicker that don’t show anything. He's back-up for our back-up.

SUMMARY: A huge concern for mine and it needs to be addressed urgently. We could very well have one ruck on the list by the end of the season. (Derickx delist/Stephenson retired) Hopefully Orren sticks around as back up. We need to at least rookie a young ruck as a development player. I’ve got a few I’ll be keen to keep an eye on at Champs and maybe look to trade for Daniel Currie from North Melbourne if it's cheap.