Author Topic: Libba tells Fox Footy's Open Mike he punched Matthew Knights (H-Sun)  (Read 683 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tony Liberatore tells Fox Footy's Open Mike he punched Matthew Knights and Carlton tanked in 2007

Sam Landsberger
    August 11, 2013 9:00PM

BROWNLOW Medallist Tony Liberatore has fessed up to punching Matthew Knights and clawing Craig McRae's face, but stopped short of saying he was a dirty player.

Liberatore admitted he wasn’t proud of some of his on-field actions and also refused to shy away from his claims that Carlton tanked to land Matthew Kreuzer.

The Western Bulldogs great was suspended for five matches for opening Knights’ forehead in an incident that sparked a war of words between the Dogs and Richmond and copped three weeks for clawing McRae.

And Liberatore said it was Bulldogs legend Charlie Sutton’s famous catchphrase of “shop early and avoid the rush” that led to the hit on Knights in 2001.

“I took things into my own hands, I probably shouldn’t have done what I’d done,” Liberatore told Fox Footy’s Open Mike.

“He was niggling one of our wingmen, Matthew Robbins, and I thought he’s pretty fired up.

“From the corner of my eye I thought he was going to come through and collect me. I just felt that something was going to happen, so unfortunately I did what Charlie Sutton told me. I got in first.”

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/tony-liberatore-tells-fox-footys-open-mike-he-punched-matthew-knights-and-carlton-tanked-in-2007/story-fndv8weh-1226695145195

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Libba tells Fox Footy's Open Mike he punched Matthew Knights (H-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 02:51:44 AM »
We have a collection on OER of media articles, audio and video from the Libba-Knights incident:

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum/index.php?topic=2740.0

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 03:12:25 AM »
Calling this bloke a dog is seriously an insult to all dogs out there.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 06:18:08 AM »
how the stuff did he win a brownlow the dirty little poo?  Must of been slim pickings.
And he is a rubbish artist, he was a dirty scragging little prick, he punched him because to take him out of the game, simple.
Lots of people name their swords......

TigerTimeII

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 07:17:34 AM »
he reckons he felt threatened ffs

what a dog it was matty knights not campbell brown

dirty calabrese piece of poo

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 08:22:29 AM »
The Knights hit was neither a hot-blooded act, or a one-off incident. Plenty of players have punched an opponent in the heat of battle, and have not been reviled for it. What made this little mongrel the calculating dog that he was is that he used to file down his fingernails to points, and deliberately scratch and claw at his opponents to draw blood, then squeal to the umpires to send them off under the blood rule. Whether it was covering the body in rake marks or gouging under the eye of an opponent made no difference to Libba. Matty Knights was one of his favourite targets. Paul Kelly of the Swans was another. Every time we played the Dogs, he would go straight after Knighta with his claws.
 This time the Tigers had enough, and not only hit back, but decided they would no longer protect the little dog under the players code of silence. That the Bulldogs tried to shift the sympathy of the footy public onto Libba by branding Wayne Campbell and Richmond "dobbers", says a lot about them as a club at the time. That Libba insists to this day that he wasn't a dirty player proves that he has all the self-awareness of a corn flake.   

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 08:53:37 AM »
So Libba now admits to hitting Knights, clawing McRae's face but he didn't scratch anyone  ::)

Righty O then

Here'a bit of news for you Libba no one believes you

But carry on ...... not in Footy but selling First Aid supplies  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)