Author Topic: Voss Sacked/Tigers a Coach Killer/Get him as an assistant (Merged)  (Read 4682 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Michael Voss sacked / Richmond - the opposition coach killer
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2013, 09:30:59 PM »
Lions have a fair good list ...

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Voss Sacked/Tigers a Coach Killer/Get him as an assistant (Merged)
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2013, 10:12:24 PM »
One topic covering all angles  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Voss Sacked/Tigers a Coach Killer/Get him as an assistant (Merged)
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2013, 10:15:59 PM »
Boo sack the board

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2013, 10:19:55 PM »
Boo sack the board

Just think of it as conditioning as to what is going to happen to the Bombers  ;D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2013, 10:29:43 PM »
As opposed to the disaster zone that is Melbourne and their list. This is why this is bad news for the Dees. The best candidates will chase the Lions' gig.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 11:20:22 PM »
he should have done what hird has and refused to go.lmao
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2013, 11:37:20 PM »
Heraldsun is reporting Paul Roos spoke to Brisbane about the coaching position a month ago.
The article is behind pay wall.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/brisbane-lions-coach-michael-voss-will-not-be-given-a-new-contract/story-e6frf7jo-1226696515172

Rampstar

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2013, 12:19:59 AM »
i wouldnt be going after Voss Id be more happier if we brought someone new from outside the current coaches into the club like Cameron Ling and just give Justin Leppitsch a promotion to be the senior assistant.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2013, 12:21:17 AM »
na if it aint broke

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2013, 12:33:00 AM »

They do! No thanks to Voss ...  ;)

Why wouldn't we get him as an assistant?

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2013, 06:07:07 AM »
Heraldsun is reporting Paul Roos spoke to Brisbane about the coaching position a month ago.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/brisbane-lions-coach-michael-voss-will-not-be-given-a-new-contract/story-e6frf7jo-1226696515172

Not if you enter news.com.au
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2013, 07:06:01 AM »
Here it is:

Brisbane Lions coach Michael Voss terminated with the Lions already speaking to Paul Roos

by: Jon Ralph, Greg Davis

PAUL Roos has confirmed he had spoken to Brisbane about their coaching position a month ago, as Michael Voss was left reeling from his sudden sacking.

Club legend Voss was sensationally terminated by the Lions, just hours after speaking optimistically about the club's finals chances.

But while Roos has already been linked to the vacant role, he told the Herald Sun he had made no commitment to the Lions.

He was called by Brisbane chief executive Malcolm Holmes last month but told him he felt uneasy about talking to any club that had a coach in place.

In an extraordinary development, Holmes told Roos that Voss was aware that he was being approached, despite hoping to win another contract. Just as with Melbourne's coaching position, Roos is refusing to rule out further discussions while at the same time saying he is unlikely to coach again.

"Malcolm Holmes rang me a month ago and said Michael (Voss) knows about the phone call, and I reiterated what I had spoken about to Peter (Jackson, the Demons CEO),'' he said.

"I am happy to talk to Peter on a regular basis because they don't have a coach but I said I felt very uncomfortable talking to Brisbane. In terms of contracts, there is no contract and nothing like that at all. But it is the same discussion I have had with Melbourne. Unless something changes.

"They assured me that Vossy knew they were calling me. They said it was a discussion Michael knew about.''

With Voss winning five of the last eight games for eight wins in 2013 - with contests against GWS and the Western Bulldogs to come - he appeared blindsided by the decision.

But Lynch, connected with Voss through management firm Velocity, said he suspected his former teammate was in trouble.

"I have heard around Brisbane in the last couple of weeks Michael wasn't going to be re-signed, but this has come out of the blue for Vossy.''

Senior assistant Mark Harvey will become the caretaker coach for the last three rounds, and would be the only other contender for the full-time role.

Voss declined an offer to coach out the last three weeks of the season.

The sacking immediately opened the door for Sydney premiership coach Roos to return to his Lions roots - he played 267 games with Fitzroy before moving to the Swans.

Voss told Channel Seven last night he was shocked to be sacked.

"I don't know how I feel; tomorrow I will wake up and don't go to work and that's all I know,'' he said.

"I've loved (the Lions) more than anything else, and the club is dear to me... I have gone in every day and (attempted) there has been something to improve in our players. That is what I will miss the most.''

Voss took the Lions to the finals as recently as 2010, where they beat Carlton at the Gabba, but he would win only 43 of his 109 games in charge.

Ultimately, his legacy will be tainted by the decision to recruit Carlton's Brendan Fevola on a massive deal.

It was regarded as the worst trade in history, with Fevola soon gone, Lachie Henderson off-loaded, and disgruntled stars Daniel Bradshaw and Michael Rischitelli leaving amid the fallout.

Brisbane chairman Angus Johnson was booed and heckled by sections of the crowd at a Lions function when he announced the sacking.

One guest at the Lions gala auction night at the Brisbane Convention Centre yelled out "sack the board'' during Johnson's statement at the start of the function.

Former Brisbane coach Robert Walls said it was an "absolute shock'' that Voss had been sacked, immediately linking him to the vacant Melbourne job.

He suggested on SEN Radio that Leigh Matthews might return to Brisbane for one final coaching hurrah.

But the four-time premiership coach told the The Courier-Mail only last month the coaching fire had been extinguished.

"That's what I did for my whole life; when you are in it, you live it,'' he said. "It is not a job - it is a lifestyle, an obsession and an addiction. I regard it that way and I'm not going to do that again."

Former teammate Chris Johnson said he was "very shocked" by Voss’s sacking.

"I thought 'Vossy' had done enough in this back end of the year with some of the results going the Lions' way," he told 3AW on Tuesday night.

"Obviously in the front end of the year things weren't looking great for him, but I thought he'd done a fair bit of work with the playing group to get them up to be somewhat competitive at the end of the year...

"He's had the players on-side the whole time he's been coaching the Lions, but it has (a lot) to do with the actual list he has too. (It) hasn’t been a great list, and I thought Michael has done a fantastic job to get out (of it) what he has."

- with Warwick Green

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/brisbane-lions-coach-michael-voss-will-not-be-given-a-new-contract/story-fndv8d6r-1226696515172

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2013, 08:11:39 AM »

because if he has a good list and failed as a coach, what does that say about his coaching ability?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2013, 08:23:33 AM »

Not if you enter news.com.au

Slightly OT but it also responds to the info above:

There is an application that you can get for your PC, tablet or smartphone that allows you full, legal access to over 2,000 newspapers and publications worldwide for under a $1 a day.  It includes all the major Australian dailies as well as many others (150+ in Oz).  For example, I get the NT paper delivered daily to my laptop and tablet as well as the Sportsman twice weekly but if I wanted to I could get the Hun and any others all for the single price of $29 per month.  The local paper costs over $1 each and the Sportsman costs about $5 each so I save about $80 per month just with my small usage.  You download the papers so you can read them offline and the application also has a sound function so you can listen to the articles instead of reading them.  There are a heap of other features as well but I find it fantastic for reading the newspapers I want on my tablet, when and where I want to for a fraction of the cost.  It's excellent for reading newspapers on a plane.  I didn't like the idea of paying the subs for access to just 1 paper (Hun) but when I lucked onto this it changed my opinion completely because of the range of papers and fraction of the cost - I was spending 4 times that much already on printed copies.  If you're interested I would appreciate a PM so I can refer you and get a (very) small reward!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2013, 08:26:11 AM »

because if he has a good list and failed as a coach, what does that say about his coaching ability?

Really al, isn't it obvious  ;D  :huh 

It clearly says that there are no excuses for the RFC not get him as an assistant   :rollin