Author Topic: Shaun Grigg signs a two-year contract extension (RFC)  (Read 4311 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Shaun Grigg signs a two-year contract extension (RFC)
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 08:52:10 PM »
Hopefully he took a pay cut to ease this much talked about salary cap pressure to make more $$ available for Conca who deserves a nice pay rise  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

gerkin greg

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 11:51:11 PM »
Grigga  :cheers

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 11:56:54 PM »
Is it front ended, like the way he likes to run?

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 09:03:44 AM »
Thought I'd have a look at this thread but just knew it'd be another cringeworthy thread where people get on and masquerade as Richmond supporters. Fair dinkum you blokes are embarrassing.
 I'll post the second positive comment for the thread. Very pleased we've signed up Grigg for two years. Was outstanding in 2012 finishing right up there in the B&F
 Been a bit quiter this year but still been ok.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 09:06:13 AM »
Thought he has been better this year actually (relatively speaking to his own standards) as he has started to tackle

Rampstar

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 09:31:46 AM »
"Grigg has become an important member of the team with his ability to find space and use the ball efficiently, as well as providing valuable leadership skills to the playing group, " Richardson said.

"We would like to acknowledge Shaun’s management team, led by Alex McDonald, for the professional manner in which the discussions were conducted."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-15/another-tiger-signs-on

A nice indirect swipe at other player managers  :clapping

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 09:36:33 AM »
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-15/another-tiger-signs-on

This article states he is a solid inside midfielder

:gobdrop
Inside the Boundary....

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 11:11:17 AM »
Best outside midfielder in the team. Plays a vital role moving our ball through traffic and is highly under rated imo. Some supporters have a fixation with players who are ball winners. If players do not win the contested ball and tackle continuously then they are weak and 'forward runners'. This is a fallacy. The reality is that we need a mixture of players with a spread of roles. If we had a team of inside midfielders then we have no one to carry the ball and deliver it effectively into our forward half.

Griggs greatest strength is no his inside work or tackling, it is his ability to find space and give us an attacking option to move the ball forward. He is not our most best player but he is an important part of the jigsaw.

Well done Grigg and well done Tigers  :thumbsup

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 11:21:38 AM »
Some don't like Grigg because we lost Collins, well he is really tearing it up at the tankers hey!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 11:42:23 AM »
His helicopter floating kicks poo me

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 11:58:45 AM »
Best outside midfielder in the team. Plays a vital role moving our ball through traffic and is highly under rated imo. Some supporters have a fixation with players who are ball winners. If players do not win the contested ball and tackle continuously then they are weak and 'forward runners'. This is a fallacy. The reality is that we need a mixture of players with a spread of roles. If we had a team of inside midfielders then we have no one to carry the ball and deliver it effectively into our forward half.

Griggs greatest strength is no his inside work or tackling, it is his ability to find space and give us an attacking option to move the ball forward. He is not our most best player but he is an important part of the jigsaw.

While I understand your point Stripes and I agree that all sides need good outside mids to compliment your inside ones. I also acknowledge that Grigg's role is without question primarily being an outside mid, actually that is cannot disputed. Having sat through a number of pre-match briefings as part of my Inner Sanctum package I am very much aware of what his role is on game day

However, what I have a problem with regarding Grigg is 2 things.

Firstly, even though he is a outside mid there are times when he needs to not stand back and wait to receive but actually go to a contest and help his team-mate. IMO he doesn't do this enough. Perfect example is when he has a team mate up against 2 opponents and stands back waiting to receive when what he needs to do is attack the contest and assist in creating a stoppage; which is a major part of our game plan, creating stoppages.

Secondly, good outside mids run hard both ways to create. Defensively Grigg more often than not barely breaks out of a jog. And this season again IMO his attacking running/spreading has mirrored his defense running. Simply he isn't running hard both ways whether that be to get to a contest and when spreading to create overlap or run.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 12:11:45 PM »
Thought I'd have a look at this thread but just knew it'd be another cringeworthy thread where people get on and masquerade as Richmond supporters. Fair dinkum you blokes are embarrassing.
 I'll post the second positive comment for the thread. Very pleased we've signed up Grigg for two years. Was outstanding in 2012 finishing right up there in the B&F
 Been a bit quiter this year but still been ok.

And what would your response be if this was a Bachar Houli contract extension thread?

Best outside midfielder in the team.

LMFAO

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 12:15:31 PM »

Well done Grigg and well done Tigers  :thumbsup
I agree with this. You need atleast 1 excellent outside runner that can deliver the ball expertly to the forwards. Grigg is a good runner and finds the alot of the ball but just needs to clean up his inside 50s. Lace out to our forwards us much more damaging than the helicopters he's renown for. All in all he's had an ok year.
But he's not as good as Tivendale as yet.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 12:16:19 PM »
Tivendale would actually be a gun in our current side.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 12:19:47 PM »
Tivendale would actually be a gun in our current side.

This is going to shock you and many others Coach but I agree with you  :thumbsup ;D

Tivendale ran hard both ways that's why he would be great in our current set-up and his kicking was far superior to Griggs as well