Author Topic: Tucky retires  (Read 3284 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Tucky retires
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 04:43:21 PM »
i do hope so

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 04:46:17 PM »
Tiger Tucks into retirement
By Jennifer Phelan
3:09pm AEST Thursday, August 29, 2013

RETIRING Richmond veteran Shane Tuck hopes he will be called up for an elusive finals appearance after deciding to finish his AFL career at season's end.

The Tigers midfielder played last season on a one-year contract but his strong 2012, in which he appeared in every game, earned him another deal.

However a shoulder injury in the middle of this season cost him six games and then four weeks in VFL before he was dropped from the seniors last week.

The 31-year-old said the realisation there was no longer a spot for him influenced his decision to retire, but he hadn't given up on playing his first final in the coming weeks.

"The club hasn't played finals for 12 years so I'd love to be part of it, and hopefully I get a spot somewhere along the line," Tuck told the club's website.

"I've been contemplating [retirement] the last couple of years with things happening along the way, but this year things haven't really gone to plan.

"The boys are playing really well so there's not much of a spot left for me.

"After the GWS game, the boys played really well and I got dropped for that one so I thought it was probably time to call it quits."

Tuck has played nine senior games this year to take him to 171 overall.   

He said he felt he was leaving the club's midfield "in great hands" after the emergence and improvement of the younger ball winners.

"[Trent] Cotchin, when 'Lids' [Brett Deledio] goes through there, [Dustin] Martin … you can name them all," he said.

"They're real quality players and that's why they're one of the best midfields in the comp."

Former Sydney Swans captain Brett Kirk was the first player who "stitched up" Tuck, while his father, 426-game Hawthorn legend Michael, has been his biggest influence.

"He [Michael] gives you the tough love at times and lets you know where things are at," he said.

"He comes to most of the games and has a quiet beer.

"He enjoys himself and lets me know how I go so it's good to have him around."

After being drafted by Richmond in 2003 following an untried stint on Hawthorn's rookie list and then at SANFL club West Adelaide, Tuck made his AFL debut in round 14, 2004 against the Brisbane Lions.

He said while he was both happy and sad to retire, he believed he had got the best out of himself over the past 10 years despite frustrations with recent inconsistency.

"I feel that I've done everything I can. The last probably four years since Dimma's been here, I've been a little bit up and down with being selected and stuff like that," he said.

"It's been a hard time but I've definitely tried my very best and I can leave knowing that I've done that."

Hardwick paid tribute to the veteran, who finished in the top 10 of the club's best and fairest seven times. 

"Shane has been a fantastic servant of the Richmond football club over a long period of time," Hardwick said.

"He has overcome the odds on a number of occasions and has become a favourite among the Tiger fans, and a much-loved, respected teammate."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-29/tucking-into-retirement
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 04:59:44 PM »
Hats off to the Tuckster, was never the coaches pet but gave 110% every time he entered the arena :cheers :cheers

Ruanaidh

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 05:01:11 PM »
Well done Tucky :cheers...Courageous player who tried his heart out on the field.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 05:04:34 PM »
Sad day for me although I knew it was going to come soon.

Tuck is a fan favourite for all the right reasons - tough, team-orientated, and humble. Very good and uncomplicated player.

Will miss seeing him play a lot.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 05:04:58 PM »
Very sad news but understandable. A great clubman who has always put the club first. His attitude towards the game is outstanding. Deserves to play finals. His courage and ability to win the hard ball will be sorely missed.  He definitely was up in the elite ranks when it came to winning contested possession.Was also a great mark and had a knack of kicking crucial goals. Will be missed.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 05:08:35 PM »
underrated overhead mark  :(

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 05:26:19 PM »
I am shattered he won't be playing this year. I have this bad feeling he may get picked up by GWS since he won't be a Tiger next year :(

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
I'd be happy for him if he got picked up or played for our vfl side

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 06:54:32 PM »

Excellent notion I second that  :clapping

Gigantor

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 06:55:14 PM »
How about the the VFLs side first captain?

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 07:17:30 PM »

As if that's going to happen with "white ant" Wayne setting up the Richmond VFL team.
He's worked so hard over so many years to shaft Tucky and now he's finally got him out of the AFL he's going to hire him to the VFL team. 

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 07:19:47 PM »
I have no idea wtf is happening with the VFL side or who's shafting who. Don't care much either.

Just saying Tuck would be great for a club like GWS or as a leader for the VFL side. Doubt many RFC members would disagree with that.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 07:33:59 PM »
I have no idea wtf is happening with the VFL side or who's shafting who. Don't care much either.

Just saying Tuck would be great for a club like GWS or as a leader for the VFL side. Doubt many RFC members would disagree with that.

That's poor on your behalf, pick up your game son and show the VFL the respect it deserves >:(

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 07:38:04 PM »
He is retiring wont be playing VFL, SANFL etc IMO

Wouldn't be surprised if Tucky moves over to SA seeing his wife is from over
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)