Author Topic: Matt Thomas [merged]  (Read 37144 times)

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Port Adelaide's Matt Thomas likely to join Richmond (Adel. Advertiser)
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2013, 04:24:59 PM »
would be good for us as we don't have enough hard inside players

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2013, 06:00:22 PM »
Does he run like a gazelle?

the claw

« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2013, 07:44:18 PM »
Thomas had 34 possessions and 7 clearances in Norwood's 51 point semi-final win over West Adelaide in the SANFL yesterday.

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2261/
sam lonergan does the same in the vfl that doesnt make him a good afl player.
the big body advantage they have is not there in the afl and he struggles. he struggles because the big bodies he goes up against in the afl have pace and good skills. his size is no longer a massive advantage.

hes 27 yo with basic deficiencies that will never ever be over come. we have enough players who have severe limitations and are limited in the roles they can play.
i think we all can agree he has limitations. i ask in all seriousness what outstanding attribute does he bring to the table that may offset these deficiencies.. name one anybody please.

theres a few positives

1/ get him for nothing.
2/ hes coming off a good season one of few good seasons hes had.
3/ hes a big body and thats means he can at least compete.

in 8 yrs of afl footy he regularly butchers the ball. he actually gets more outside ball than inside and he cant kick wtf are they thinking.
for an inside ball winning mid he goes at about 15 possesions a game at afl level in 8 yrs.  ffs it isnt good enough.
but ya know what the club says hes bloody good so that must be the case. i really wonder if people actually watch opposition teams at all.

there is no way we can take this bloke and keep lonergan. what ever happened to the old adage of trying to find well rounded players who at least have adequate skills for afl footy.
why are there no alarm bells.
 a mid whos 8 yr record at the level says he cant kick is slow and doesnt find a heap of ball.
8 yrs in the spotlight and we choose to ignore those deficiencies.
we really have to cut into our list of deficient players not add to em.
i can live with us taking him for nothing and we cut a dud to make way for him.

heres hartleys list of players he has taken from other clubs. i will grant him nearly all have filled a hole where we had no player of that type or they have been an upgrade on very ordinary underperforming players.
but if people are hanging their hats on what he taken as far as quality goes then im sorry i totally disagree.

a edwards  - a last minute stop gap because we have failed in this area in the past. again he gets a game because there is no other like him on the list. we took him and i agreed with it because we had none of his typeapart from ohanlon who still isnt ready and may never be.

stephenson another stop gap barely up to afl standard. there were other options and we chose to ignore em.

grigg -  bloody hell has one thing going for him and that is his run and spread is good. he is very poor in many areas including being one sided and as soft as butter.. he fails in most  areas and would not get a game if we had adequate skillful running players. he was an upgrade that needs upgrading.

houli -  slow one sided defensively poor and limited in the role he does.

knights - an injury prone player who remains injury prone.

lonergan - need i say more an out rihght hack at afl level very good at vfl.

maric - geez at last a success story. as far as ruckmen go hes well rounded and it shows in just how competetive he is week in week out.

petterd - another who is abysmal by foot.

blair hartley and his record. take maric the ruckman out and hes not delivered one well rounded player. hes delivered  deficient players who have been upgrades on duds. players who are role players and limited in what roles they can do.and hes doing it again. most have served a purpose while better more well rounded kids have developed but it is time to upgrade on them.

why cant he identify a player who at least meets a  decent skillset requirement for afl footy ie can kick. a player who has the physical attributes to play afl footy decent pace,  and a player who has proven himself at the lower level. matt thomas ticks just one of these boxes . as such i hope we dont take him.

what i dont get is why we are solely it seems looking at players currently on afl lists.
why not target the state leagues as well michael barlow for example  and so many others yet it seems we largely  ignore this avenue.

when i hear such tripe like i trust blair hartley to get it right,  i think the sheep are still  blindly following what they are told insterad of looking for themselves.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2013, 07:49:52 PM »
His 27?! Massive no for me then. Assumed he was 22ish :lol

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2013, 07:59:05 PM »
his 27 what?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2013, 08:04:41 PM »
his 27 what?

27th worst player in the AFL

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2013, 08:08:22 PM »
he owns that?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

gerkin greg

« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2013, 09:19:18 PM »
Claw & Peace

kill me

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2013, 02:59:25 AM »
Snore and peace

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2013, 07:45:50 AM »
Oh you guys

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2013, 04:43:47 PM »
Thomas had 34 possessions and 7 clearances in Norwood's 51 point semi-final win over West Adelaide in the SANFL yesterday.

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2261/
Will be a very shrewd pick up this guy, and don't think we are the only club interested, think Barlow , whoa :shh

You have absolutely no inside info on who is looking at Matty and what he is like as a player. Stop being such a backside licker and come up with your own opinions instead of this "whoa" rubbish.

ill give you an opinion piece, stuff off :lol

Amazing how certain posters are allowed to tell others to stuff off and they get away with it. However, if I call a mate 'cocko' I will get a perma ban :lol

No, I don't think he would be an upgrade over Lonergan. Like choosing between duck poo and pigeon poo anyway.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2013, 04:59:37 PM »
I thought Chapman was one of Blair Hartley's gets too?

If Knights does stay uninjured for a season then he will be a good player.

I wouldn't be surprised if Stephensen, Lonergan and Pettard all go soon, depending on what we have to improve on them but all three of them were late picks, rookie or otherwise.  Just the best of what was around that filled our needs.

I think this filling the holes policy with a full time opposition analyst paid off this year.

Gigantor

« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2013, 05:22:21 PM »
Claw you have to be kidding about houli being slow...I agree about him being one sided.

Rampstar

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2013, 05:32:48 PM »
Claw you have to be kidding about houli being slow...I agree about him being one sided.

99% of what the claw wrote is spot on  :cheers

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2013, 08:13:55 PM »
Claw - it is Hartley's role to find role players. The well rounded players are never let go by a club for less than the kitchen sink. They are typically the players who are in a sides top 10%. To get a player through free trade or so we don't play overs during the trade period we can not expect to get complete players.

What Blair has done has found depth and role players for us to improve our overallstandard. The type of player you're talking about are first round draft picks you hope to develop into capable players.

Morris was a fantastic pick up as a stopper. No questioning there I feel.

Houli plays his role extremely well. He is not a hard nosed inside ball winner like the Dons were trying to force him to become. He has his weaknesses but most players do but his ability to set up play by foot is elite.

Grigg is a outside runner. This year he was down on form compared to 2012. He will step up again next year but we got him for that role and we got him for practically nothing.

Maric and Chapman made an immediate and undeniable impact on our fortunes. That can't be questioned. Are they faultless - no but they play their roles extremely well.

Knights, Petterd, A Edwards, Stephenson all add maturity and depth. They play a role, create competition for spots and give us the depth we struggled for for years. They are not the future but that are important pieces to the overall puzzle.

Hartley has done an amazing job with these mature recruits. I feel you are asking for far too much if you want anything other than role/depth players through free trade or for late draft picks.

Chapman
Petterd, Edw