Author Topic: Board Rumor on SEN  (Read 3438 times)

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
Board Rumor on SEN
« on: June 01, 2004, 01:10:26 AM »
That Leon Daphne and Benny Gale are forming a ticket to challenge Casey.

Bring it on l reckon! Go fellas! go get our club and save it. :)
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Board Rumor on SEN
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 01:42:40 AM »
Looks like it's no longer just a rumour!

---------------------------------------------

Richmond president besieged
By Patrick Smith and Greg Denham
The Australian
June 01, 2004

IMMEDIATE past Richmond president Leon Daphne has emerged as a central figure in advising a group working to overthrow embattled president Clinton Casey.

Former Richmond director in the Daphne administration, Charles Macek, last night indicated he was prepared to be part of a well-organised and credible takeover of the club.

In another twist, it is understood, for reasons of harmony, that current board member Rob Turner could be approached by rival groups to act as interim chairman.

Casey remained undaunted by the challengers last night. "I'm up for it. I'm up to the fight," Casey said.

As for Macek, the president said: "He has always held a candle to the position. He was always someone who wants a crack at the presidency."

Macek, a member of the Telstra and Wesfarmers boards and chairman of the Financial Reporting Council, said he was highly concerned about the direction of the Richmond club.

"Concerned with a capital C," he said. "I believe a fish rots from the head and I believe this administration has failed the football club."

A non-executive director at Telstra, Macek in April played a key role in the dispute that led to the surprise resignation of chairman Bob Mansfield.

Last week, Daphne met recently resigned board members Peter Welsh and Brendan Schwab and former player Brendan Gale, who is believed to have rejected an offer by Casey to join the truncated Tigers board.

Daphne, club president from 1994-99, had anticipated Macek would replace him as president in 2000 before Casey made the succession untenable. Daphne said last night: "Obviously, Welsh and Schwab are good friends of mine and, yes, we did talk about our worries about the club.

"I am a concerned supporter but I have no aspirations to take a position with the club."

Daphne, Welsh, Schwab, Gale and Macek are concerned over the direction the club has taken since last December.

A predicted $600,000 profit for 2004 has been downgraded to a $1-$2 million loss and the club has sought a $4m redirection from the AFL. Casey still has a personal $1.6m guarantee with the ANZ bank, helping the club to trade.

The club's chief executive, Ian Campbell, hired in March last year, stepped down from his position last week. Former Commonwealth Games bid administrator Leighton Woods is tipped as his replacement.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,9708118%255E2722,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 06:16:32 AM »
I like Charles - he's a nice man.  BUT i have not seen him at the footy since he went off the board.

Woohoo Leon and Benny - what a team they would make with Schwab and Welsh.  I wonder if there might be a Terry Grigg hanging around there.  Hope he is - he achieved the highest membership in his time.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 08:07:05 AM »
I posted a bit about this on bf for you froars. Should have known WP or MT would already be on the case and that you probably knew before them.  :)
Cogs first, now this. I see daylight dawning on the wreckage.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 09:00:12 AM »
Former Richmond director in the Daphne administration, Charles Macek, last night indicated he was prepared to be part of a well-organised and credible takeover of the club.

Gee I feel all warm and fuzzy now - a well planed and credible takeover :-\

Macek, a member of the Telstra and Wesfarmers boards and chairman of the Financial Reporting Council, said he was highly concerned about the direction of the Richmond club.

"Concerned with a capital C," he said. "I believe a fish rots from the head and I believe this administration has failed the football club."

Exactly when did you become concerned Charles (BTW agree with Froars he's a nice bloke)? It says last December- then why didn't you do something then? Remember there was an election  earlier this year - that's election with a capital "E"

Last week, Daphne met recently resigned board members Peter Welsh and Brendan Schwab and former player Brendan Gale, who is believed to have rejected an offer by Casey to join the truncated Tigers board.

Daphne, club president from 1994-99, had anticipated Macek would replace him as president in 2000 before Casey made the succession untenable. Daphne said last night: "Obviously, Welsh and Schwab are good friends of mine and, yes, we did talk about our worries about the club.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,9708118%255E2722,00.html

I really have a problem with both Schwab and Welsh (who I voted for  last time BTW). I really question their motives - they walked away and now want to come back. Why? If they were so concerned they would have stayed to fight for our Club not walked away.

Struth I have become so cynical >:( :-\
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 03:11:09 PM »

KB had Macek on SEN this morning and he repeated when asked what is wrong with Richmond that it was the current board. Where has this guy been the last 20 years or did he think past admins did a great job in regards to the footy department  ::). These guys (including Casey) just have NFI of what's wrong. How can we expect these dopes to address and fix up the mess we're in when they are so blind to our real failings.     

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 03:35:45 PM »

KB had Macek on SEN this morning and he repeated when asked what is wrong with Richmond that it was the current board. Where has this guy been the last 20 years or did he think past admins did a great job in regards to the footy department  ::). These guys (including Casey) just have NFI of what's wrong. How can we expect these dopes to address and fix up the mess we're in when they are so blind to our real failings.     

And there in lies my angry, frustration and cynicism with this whole saga.

Charles Macek was a director of this club when Gieschen was appointed and subsequently given a contract extension after 1 season. He was also part of the board that appointed Danny Frawley. So he was part of board that made mistakes and poor decisions but that seems to get lost when one is being critical of the Club. So now he is interested in having a another go on the board. But nowhere in the article does he say what he or anyone else is going to do about fixing things.

Got a newsflash it isn't just this administration!

I will repeat what I said earlier - if Charles is and was so concerned about the state of the club why didn't he put his hand up in January and nominate and stand for the board.  >:(

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)