Author Topic: Trade week rumours and innuendo  (Read 81481 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Trade week rumours and innuendo
« Reply #660 on: October 21, 2013, 06:27:59 AM »
Karnezis

Gee even if he is worth a dabble but not for us we are locked and loaded

We have completely stuffed this up.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Jobba

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #661 on: October 21, 2013, 06:46:33 AM »
Karnezis

And why does Karnezis better our side? What does he bring that would influence our top 26 or so? Trading for the sake of trading gets us no where

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #662 on: October 21, 2013, 07:04:03 AM »
Gee I don't know Einstein

Good third option up forward. Who will kick our goals if Jack goes down. U? It seems only a few of us have a clue on here, urself and that BJ fella are not 2 of them unfortunately.

Pick 50 is definitely worth a gamble and we could've had better picks had we traded out

Offline Jobba

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #663 on: October 21, 2013, 07:54:46 AM »

Good third option up forward. Who will kick our goals if Jack goes down. U? It seems only a few of us have a clue on here, urself and that BJ fella are not 2 of them unfortunately.

Pick 50 is definitely worth a gamble and we could've had better picks had we traded out

Pretty petty to go for an individual attack simply because I disagree with you. But anyway -

We have the current listed at third forward (and this DOES NOT include resting ruckam - which will play a greater role next season with capped rotation):

Edwards, Elton, Griffiths, Knights (maybe) and McBean. My question to you is in two parts. Given the hypothetical situation above, if Jack does go down, is Karnezis more qualified than any of the above to step up? I remind you that this happened once last year, and whilst it was against GWS, we still kicked our highest score of the season. By a long way. By the way, this is someone who has played midfield in the Brisbane 2's for 3 years, and has played a total of how many games for Brisbane? Which has a fairly suspect forward line already. Keep in mind, McGuane (who wasn't in our best 22 come the end of the year) when up there to fill a role that Karnezis couldn't get a regular game in - at a worst side.

Second, whats the cap hit for us? Its obvious we are tight with the cap, and the fact that Karnezis would cost more to us in a dollar sense than pick 50. The reason Collingwood can pick up Adams, Jesse White and Karnezis? They lost approximately $2 million from their cap when they lost Shaw, Thomas, Didak, Johnson and Jolly. We have lost McGuane, but have re-signed Martin and Conca, whilst also grabbing Hampson and saving ourselves space to re-sign Ellis, Vlastuin etc in the coming years. We are also coming off signing in the last 18 months, Cotchin, Deledio, Riewoldt, Rance and Chaplin.

Now because you called me Einstein, heres what I'm going to do. Anyone worth there salt in a counter argument will bring up my avocation for Hampson at pick 28 come 32. And you should say something like "RFC have set a precedent of trading picks for players - and Karnezis at 50 odd is as good - if not better than Hampson at 32" Which in theory, would be a good counter-argument, however, the reality of that situation is ruckman now a-days are a different than almost any other position on the ground. Firstly and foremostly, there has generally been one ruckman with a pseudo-ruckman who rests forward and then pinch hits in the ruck. A vast majority (we are talking roughly 60% of all substitutions not made due to injury) is for the second ruckman halfway through the third quarter. Now again, remember that the cap has come in at 120, about 15 rotations below the league average. What does this mean? It means there will be forced "resting" of players in the forward half. This is why a second ruckman is important (what happens if Maric goes down? You ruck Vickery and who relieves him and how does our forward structure look?). Hampson, whilst not a perfect second ruckman for this role, can service it in the short to medium-term. Giving players like McBean, Griffiths and Elton time to develop. What I am saying is that experienced developed ruckman have more currency (justifiably) than a third tall. 

Now, the counter-argument to that is why not keep the pick and develop a ruckman at that pick - or alternatively, develop a player for that position currently on our list. The players we have (I'd argue maybe 2, but I did list 3) are McBean, Griffiths and Elton. All of whom are not ready to help this team which 1.5 extra games and get us top 4 yet. Unless you move one forward, and make Vickery the third tall. But again, I do not think they are ready yet. Also, the currency for rucks in the AFL come draft time are not great. Grundy was a steal at 19 no doubt, but he slid to 19 for a reason. Very few teams are willing to take a ruckman in the first round because of the development that is required for them to compete in the AFL, let alone for a team that is looking to be top 4 and play Finals.

Ultimately, that's what it comes down too. Money and need. If we don't need them, or it is fiscally a poor move, then don't do it.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #664 on: October 21, 2013, 08:04:43 AM »
Karnezis

What a joke, he wouldn't be fit to tie Bo hanlons bootlaces, but ooh no we need to load up our side with bums that couldn't get a gig in a bottom 8 side..any more beaut ideas, wait I'll get some popcorn first :lol
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Online Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #665 on: October 21, 2013, 08:32:22 AM »

Pretty petty to go for an individual attack simply because I disagree with you. But anyway -

We have the current listed at third forward (and this DOES NOT include resting ruckam - which will play a greater role next season with capped rotation):

Edwards, Elton, Griffiths, Knights (maybe) and McBean. My question to you is in two parts. Given the hypothetical situation above, if Jack does go down, is Karnezis more qualified than any of the above to step up? I remind you that this happened once last year, and whilst it was against GWS, we still kicked our highest score of the season. By a long way. By the way, this is someone who has played midfield in the Brisbane 2's for 3 years, and has played a total of how many games for Brisbane? Which has a fairly suspect forward line already. Keep in mind, McGuane (who wasn't in our best 22 come the end of the year) when up there to fill a role that Karnezis couldn't get a regular game in - at a worst side.

Second, whats the cap hit for us? Its obvious we are tight with the cap, and the fact that Karnezis would cost more to us in a dollar sense than pick 50. The reason Collingwood can pick up Adams, Jesse White and Karnezis? They lost approximately $2 million from their cap when they lost Shaw, Thomas, Didak, Johnson and Jolly. We have lost McGuane, but have re-signed Martin and Conca, whilst also grabbing Hampson and saving ourselves space to re-sign Ellis, Vlastuin etc in the coming years. We are also coming off signing in the last 18 months, Cotchin, Deledio, Riewoldt, Rance and Chaplin.

Now because you called me Einstein, heres what I'm going to do. Anyone worth there salt in a counter argument will bring up my avocation for Hampson at pick 28 come 32. And you should say something like "RFC have set a precedent of trading picks for players - and Karnezis at 50 odd is as good - if not better than Hampson at 32" Which in theory, would be a good counter-argument, however, the reality of that situation is ruckman now a-days are a different than almost any other position on the ground. Firstly and foremostly, there has generally been one ruckman with a pseudo-ruckman who rests forward and then pinch hits in the ruck. A vast majority (we are talking roughly 60% of all substitutions not made due to injury) is for the second ruckman halfway through the third quarter. Now again, remember that the cap has come in at 120, about 15 rotations below the league average. What does this mean? It means there will be forced "resting" of players in the forward half. This is why a second ruckman is important (what happens if Maric goes down? You ruck Vickery and who relieves him and how does our forward structure look?). Hampson, whilst not a perfect second ruckman for this role, can service it in the short to medium-term. Giving players like McBean, Griffiths and Elton time to develop. What I am saying is that experienced developed ruckman have more currency (justifiably) than a third tall. 

Now, the counter-argument to that is why not keep the pick and develop a ruckman at that pick - or alternatively, develop a player for that position currently on our list. The players we have (I'd argue maybe 2, but I did list 3) are McBean, Griffiths and Elton. All of whom are not ready to help this team which 1.5 extra games and get us top 4 yet. Unless you move one forward, and make Vickery the third tall. But again, I do not think they are ready yet. Also, the currency for rucks in the AFL come draft time are not great. Grundy was a steal at 19 no doubt, but he slid to 19 for a reason. Very few teams are willing to take a ruckman in the first round because of the development that is required for them to compete in the AFL, let alone for a team that is looking to be top 4 and play Finals.

Ultimately, that's what it comes down too. Money and need. If we don't need them, or it is fiscally a poor move, then don't do it.

I would totally agree with all of this but Angus said you don't have a clue so maybe I shouldn't.

Oh stuff it   +1 from me.   
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #666 on: October 21, 2013, 09:17:14 AM »
Haha against GWS. Give me a break

Griffiths well most on here laugh at the bloke

Bean well he is raw

Elton see Griffiths

I would take Collingwoods drafting strategy over yours just quietly

And bojangles Raines was getting game time at lions does that mean we should go for him. In case you forgot voss was their coach and what was he like at identifying talent

what you are both saying is Karnezis is not worth pick 50. Is that right cause he couldn't fit into a Voss led team? Docherty must be rubbish too, longer also

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #667 on: October 21, 2013, 09:59:17 AM »

Karnezis is a gigantic potato. Yeah he's a nice size which makes a good prospect on paper. But it would be cheaper to place an A4 sheet of paper on the HFF to get the same output and they may even let us play an extra player.

Offline Tigger

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #668 on: October 21, 2013, 10:10:56 AM »

Well said and thought out.

+2 from me.

Only issue for mine is that McGuane got injured and hence lost his spot to Edwards (who played well in the third fwd role) - if not for that, I dare suspect that McGuane may have stayed in the team.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #669 on: October 21, 2013, 11:49:42 AM »

Well said Jobba! +3 from me. As I have said before, no need to change for change's sake. Karnezis has shown very little after bursting onto the scene in 2011 Justin Plapp style.
He was going to be the next big thing and the fan hype was enormous. Now....ehh not so much...

gerkin greg

« Reply #670 on: October 21, 2013, 11:52:51 AM »
jesse white pulling the big value picks for sydney after his stella year :clapping

wait, wot?

lmfao

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #671 on: October 21, 2013, 11:54:07 AM »
The Collingwood (Jesse White & pick 6), West Coast (picks 11,31,49) & Sydney (pick 44) trade has gone through.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-21/white-flies-south-to-pies

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #672 on: October 21, 2013, 11:54:58 AM »
jesse white pulling the big value picks for sydney after his stella year :clapping

wait, wot?

lmfao

:lol He did have a stellar year Gerks if they mean't dropping the ball like he was seeding grass.

Rampstar

« Reply #673 on: October 21, 2013, 11:59:56 AM »
Pick 50 for Karnezis is more than fair IMHO and we should make a play for him.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #674 on: October 21, 2013, 12:17:16 PM »
Pick 50 for Karnezis is more than fair IMHO and we should make a play for him.

Why? And impact our TPP for a Magoo bound hack. If you are expecting Karnezis to be another Spangher surprise trade you can forget it.

Saw a server rack for $40 the other day. I said to my wife, "Look! A server rack for $40!!" She immediately asked if I would have a use for it? I said "ummm...not right now but I might in the future". Needless to say the $40 paid for a really nice lunch which was thoroughly enjoyable and the server rack is still sitting there.

Morale of the story, why spend money on something you will probably never use just because it is cheap.