Author Topic: Andrew McQualter leaves Punt Road after missing main job [merged]  (Read 28832 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Andrew McQualter to take over as caretaker coach [merged]
« Reply #225 on: August 04, 2023, 10:11:49 PM »
He was always crap. Only someone who got seduced by beating amateur teams would think
Otherwise.

In a way I'm glad his attributes are on full display tonight. stuff him.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #226 on: August 04, 2023, 10:40:10 PM »
I think the club needs a new direction. That means coaches linked to Dimma are a no for me.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #227 on: August 04, 2023, 10:47:56 PM »
I think the club needs a new direction. That means coaches linked to Dimma are a no for me.

I think this could be right. Either way our game style needs adjustment as we are off the pace. Not having some key players all year hurts but we looked ordinary this year.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #228 on: August 04, 2023, 11:58:00 PM »

Get your point

And I not talking about senior coach here

But I think you will find a number of our assistants are contracted for next year, so they will may have to stay.

Everyone's favourite and pesky thing comes into play here, that's the soft cap

And I'm going to give Mini one tick from tonight and granted it made zero difference. But I was pleased to see him call them all in at qtr time, didn't allow them to go off to their line coaches. Called them in first.

Haven't seen that with the Tigers for a couple of seasons

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #229 on: August 07, 2023, 12:31:32 AM »
McQualter will be on AFL360 tonight (starts 7:30pm on Fox Footy/Kayo).

By the way, David King last night on First Crack said McQualter needed to take a big scalp and reckons the past two weeks and especially last Friday night has cost Mini any chance of getting the job.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #230 on: August 07, 2023, 07:25:14 AM »

By the way, David King last night on First Crack said McQualter needed to take a big scalp and reckons the past two weeks and especially last Friday night has cost Mini any chance of getting the job.

Would tend to agree with that

Friday was unmitigated disaster

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #231 on: August 27, 2023, 09:22:58 PM »
With the season now over, how did we all view McQualter and the job he did as caretaker coach?

----------------------------------------------------

From Foxsports:

Richmond caretaker coach Andrew McQualter will turn his attention to winning the top job on a permanent basis after the Tigers finished their season with a fighting 31-point loss to Port Adelaide.

McQualter was at the helm for 13 matches, for a 7-6 win-loss record, after three-time premiership coach Damien Hardwick’s shock departure 10 rounds into the season.

After a tumultuous campaign where the club also farewelled retiring premiership greats Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt, the Tigers finished 13th with a 10-12-1 record.

McQualter’s audition for the senior role will reach a pivotal stage when he interviews for the job along with other short-listed candidates believed to include Andrew Yze, Daniel Giansiracusa and Chris Newman.

“I have loved the opportunity I have been given … I feel like I have grown a lot in the last three months,” McQualter said.

“Like any time you start a new job, even though I had seen it first-hand for a while, I was pretty green so I’ve learnt a lot, been really well supported, and I’ve loved every minute of it.

“I will interview next week or the week after.

“All the attention has just been on the game and the team at this stage, just preparing the players each week, so we’ll do our exit interviews as per normal over the next few days and our VFL team lost today which means they’re out as well.

“So, the season’s over for our club, but we’ll set them up for a good off-season and into next pre-season.

“It’s a win-loss industry, but we just had to keep building the team, keep everyone together, and get everyone on the same page.

“Dimma had done such a great job for this club for so long that it’s a big hole when he left.

“So, I think the fact that we kept everyone together and motivated was probably the thing that I’m most proud of as a group that we were able to achieve.”

Source: Foxsports.

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #232 on: August 27, 2023, 09:26:13 PM »
Yeah nah.  I don't want another Dimma clone who refuses to tag, play the kids or adjust the game plan.

WTF did we have to put up with Graham, Pickett, Grimes and KMac all year when they were playing like busted aholes.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #233 on: September 22, 2023, 10:31:07 AM »
AFL great’s message to top coaching candidate after Richmond’s ‘brave’ call

Fox Footy
September 22nd, 2023

Five-time Premiership star Dermott Brereton has urged Andrew McQualter to stay on Richmond’s coaching staff if given the opportunity, despite missing out on the top job.

Speaking on AFL 360 Plus, Brereton opined that Yze ultimately won the job due to “x-factor” and tactical acumen.

But he urged McQualter to stay on board at the Tigers as an assistant coach, saying his expertise and “invaluable” knowledge of the playing group will hold Yze in good stead as he starts out.

“If you’re Yze, you want to pick the brain of the bloke who had them for 13 games,” Brereton said on Fox Footy.

“Saw what he saw, recognised the traits he was able to work with.

“If you can lean on him to get that out of him, I think it’s invaluable.

“It’s not like the white house when you come in and throw all the previous staff out and bring all your own in, you’ve got to actually take some of what’s gone before you.

“Clearly he’s (McQualter) an A-grade citizen.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2023-richmond-appoint-new-senior-coach-adem-yze-beats-andrew-mcqualter-succeed-damien-hardwick-latest-afl-360/news-story/933d8c3a90775bf81081c9fcaa63bc3e

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #234 on: September 23, 2023, 01:03:01 PM »
This was posted on the Foxsports website yesterday.

-------------------------------------------

McQualter to depart Tigers on good terms despite learning Yze in box seat via radio

David Zita and Ben Waterworth
Fox Sports
September 22nd, 2023 4:37 pm

Andrew McQualter will depart Richmond on good terms despite missing out on the senior coaching job.

Foxfooty.com.au understands McQualter found out Adem Yze was set to be appointed as Richmond coach via radio on Thursday night, when veteran journalist Caroline Wilson relayed that information.

Richmond insists the decision was not official at the time Wilson reported he was poised to be announced as coach at a Friday press conference.

While he found out from the club very shortly after when the decision was ratified, the fact McQualter learned of the club’s leaning via radio and not Richmond left him frustrated, but he will not leave the club bitter after nearly 10 years and great success.

It’s understood McQualter has interest from several AFL rivals and is expected to remain in Victoria with his young family.

He has been at Richmond since the end of 2014 and was an assistant coach through Richmond’s premiership-winning run.

He finished with seven wins from 13 games as caretaker coach after Damien Hardwick’s sudden resignation midway through the season.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-2023-richmond-new-senior-coach-andrew-mcqualter-found-out-via-radio-adem-yze-appointed-leaving-club/news-story/988dcf0acdd7f8fc5ee9c15c449102df

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #235 on: September 26, 2023, 05:14:03 AM »
St Kilda coach Ross Lyon admits the ship has probably sailed for Andrew McQualter to join the club’s coaching ranks.

“Probably that ship has sailed, to be honest,” Lyon told SEN Sportsday.

“The soft cap is really limiting. We've got great people there (already).

“I ran him, his manager Paul Connors at the VFL grand final and under-18 (Coates Talent League) Grand Final and he'll have plenty of options.

“He'll be well taken care of.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/09/25/lyon-comments-on-shiel-links-says-ship-has-sailed-to-bring-mcqualter-to-st/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #236 on: September 27, 2023, 06:54:08 PM »
Tom Browne on 7news just now said Hardwick may be interested in getting McQualter up to the Gold Coast. Browne added a number of clubs are interested in Mini.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #237 on: September 28, 2023, 05:17:30 AM »
Interesting that the club has made no statement.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #238 on: September 28, 2023, 07:28:12 AM »
Interesting that the club has made no statement.

There's no statement to make unless he leaves

Yze said in his presser he wants him to stay but it's up to Mini

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #239 on: September 28, 2023, 08:06:21 AM »
Benny Gale at the Yze presser also said the Club was giving Mini some time and space to make a decision after he missed out on the main gig.