Author Topic: Ben Lennon [merged]  (Read 228754 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Ben Lennon [merged]
« Reply #570 on: August 31, 2015, 01:39:39 AM »
Sign him up. Give the kid his three years.

Unless he is trade bait for GWS or Carlton.

Who from Carlton?
I'm guessing DF means Kreuzer but we won't have to trade for him if he wants to come to Richmond as he's a restricted free agent.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #571 on: August 31, 2015, 11:56:35 AM »
Sign him up. Give the kid his three years.

Unless he is trade bait for GWS or Carlton.

Who from Carlton?
I'm guessing DF means Kreuzer but we won't have to trade for him if he wants to come to Richmond as he's a restricted free agent.

Yeah that's why I was asking who, not sure if he was referring to someone else

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #572 on: August 31, 2015, 08:05:59 PM »
Lennon has just been named the Rising Star nominee for this round  :thumbsup.

Source: Talking Footy.

Well done Ben :clapping.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #573 on: August 31, 2015, 08:07:53 PM »
Nice work Ben  :clapping

Just saw him on Talking Footy too
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #574 on: August 31, 2015, 09:31:04 PM »
There were times I thought we stuffed up this pick - not any more.
Looks a future gun .
Unleash the tornado

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #575 on: August 31, 2015, 11:26:37 PM »
He and Corey Ellis will put silk worms out of business in the coming years. :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #576 on: September 01, 2015, 02:57:06 AM »
Ben Lennon is the Rising Star nominee for Round 22
Herald-Sun
September 1, 2015

BEN Lennon will never forget his introduction into the AFL – and Mark Williams.

Training with Richmond as part of his AFL academy internship in 2013, the straight-shooting Williams didn’t mince his words when assessing the Ivanhoe Grammar boy.

“Shave your beard off, you look like a d---head,” Williams said.

And, according to Lennon, Williams hasn’t lost any of his trademark directness.

“He’s pretty cheeky, Choco. He’ll always say what he thinks,” Lennon said.

But as blunt and demanding as Williams can be, Lennon can’t thank the development coach enough for his support over the past two years.

“He’s helped me with my contested side of the game as well as marking contests and second efforts. He’s always there on a Monday morning to go through vision,” Lennon said.

After Round 22 last season, Lennon was dropped from Richmond’s line-up following a quiet game against St Kilda.

Twelve months later, he’s the Round 22 Rising Star nominee, thanks to a polished yet workmanlike display against Essendon.

Lennon has proved over the past seven weeks he could be a valuable member of the club’s 2015 finals campaign.

“I’ve been thrown around a little bit in my two years at Richmond. But I was drafted as a half-forward, so it’s been nice to play some senior footy there and show off what I can do,” he said.

“If that means I get a spot in the finals, hopefully I can take it with both hands.”

Lennon, taken with pick 12 in the 2013 draft, lingered in the VFL during the first half of this season.

But some wise words from Brett Deledio in a leadership meeting was the motivation Lennon needed to win his spot back.

“Brett told me he thought I had all the skills in the world, but I’ve just got to work harder,” Lennons said.

“Since then I’ve tried really hard to run hard at training. I think that’s translated into games and I’m starting to see the benefits of that now.”

Lennon said the Tigers wouldn’t be taking North Melbourne lightly in their pre-finals clash on Friday.

“The Roos are a pretty quick side, especially at Etihad. We’ve got to be very mindful of what they’re capable of,” he said.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ben-lennon-is-the-rising-star-nominee-for-round-22/story-fndv8t7m-1227506718234

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #577 on: September 01, 2015, 02:58:49 AM »
Hawk Gunston the model for Tigers' Rising Star
AFL.com.au
September 1, 2015

TWELVE months must seem like a long time in football for developing Richmond young gun Ben Lennon.

A year ago, he was omitted for Dustin Martin after Richmond's round 22 win over St Kilda and didn't play in the Tigers' elimination final mauling at the hands of Port Adelaide.

But Lennon has worked hard on his game – modelled on Hawks star Jack Gunston – to be part of the Tigers' dangerous attack leading into this year's finals campaign and he's also been rewarded with the latest NAB AFL Rising Star nomination. 

"It was a bit of a surprise when they told me, they told me in the team meeting so it was pretty good. (The boys) gave a bit to me, which was expected," Lennon told AFL.com.au.

"I haven't really thought about finals too much, I'm just trying to play my role and stay in the team as long as possible."

Lennon put his best foot forward when he gathered 16 touches and took nine marks in the wet against Essendon at the MCG on Saturday night, impressing with his polish in slippery conditions.

It was his seventh straight appearance in Damien Hardwick's side, with the 188cm half-forward lifting his work rate to strike a balance between defence and his natural attacking flair.

"Dimma's really big on his defensive actions," said Lennon, who was pick No.12 in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft.

"The biggest thing for me is just trying to make a contest around the ground and trying not to get beaten.

"I've watched Gunston's tape a few times, he's obviously a hard runner, but he's really smart with the way he leads.

"That's something I've tried to emulate in my game, but I've still got a long way to go."

Closer to home, Lennon's forged a strong connection with Brett Deledio – both players are managed by Anthony McConville – and the 20-year-old is clearly benefiting from the Tigers superstar's advice.

He's similarly strong overhead, averaging five marks along with 12 disposals, and after honing his craft in the VFL earlier this year has grabbed his chance to play in the same forward line as Deledio and Jack Riewoldt.

With many of the Tigers' stars in their prime, Lennon can see an exciting few years ahead at Punt Road and the out-of-contract youngster will start talks on a new deal after the season.

"I'm just trying to finish off the year and then I'll probably think about it," he said.

"But Tigerland's a great place and they've given me the opportunity, so it would be good to stay with them."

Ben Lennon's junior club: Macleod JFC

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-31/hawk-gunston-the-model-for-tigers-rising-star

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #578 on: September 01, 2015, 07:01:33 AM »
Well done Ben.

Offline scjhammo

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #579 on: September 01, 2015, 10:31:15 AM »
Many people doubted Ben and at times I felt dimma did as well starting as a sub in and out of the team for the likes of Gordon or morris, Llyold. But he has stepped it up to another level has put on size and remember its really only his first real pre season this year his always going to be a late bloomer shows plenty and adds much need pace and strong marking in the forward line for a small... Well done benny :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
GO U TIGERS

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #580 on: September 01, 2015, 12:33:05 PM »
His marking in the wet this week was just awesome!  Classy mover in the forward half too!  Can't wait to see Lennon & C.Ellis featuring regularly in our 22.     :birthday    :thumbsup
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #581 on: September 01, 2015, 01:29:20 PM »
Wasn't everybody hanging poo on the kid until now?

Lmao u idiots
Caracella and Balmey.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #582 on: September 01, 2015, 01:43:26 PM »

Lmao u idiots

Yeah but that's the Richmond way sweetie  :snidegrin

Surely you know that? Thems the rules  :cheers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #583 on: September 01, 2015, 02:15:50 PM »

Lmao u idiots
I didn't!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #584 on: September 01, 2015, 02:21:19 PM »

Lmao u idiots

When were you backing him?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.