Author Topic: Nathan Gordon [merged]  (Read 19977 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Pick 50: Nathan Gordon
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 09:24:35 PM »
Pics:

This year at North Adelaide:

And from his time at the Swans:

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 09:26:05 PM »
Former Swan seeking re-birth via SANFL
Nathan Schmook 
afl.com.au
July 3, 2013 3:35 PM

NATHAN Gordon has the words of his former coach John Longmire ringing in his ears as he looks to return to the AFL system, 10 months after being delisted by the Sydney Swans.

"Don't be that player who left the system and thought to himself 'what if I did this, or what if I'd done that better'," Longmire used to tell his players.

It's a message that Gordon has been thinking a lot about lately as his push to be re-drafted as a mature-age player gathers momentum in the SANFL.

Gordon is considered by some recruiters to be the best state league player in the mix for this year's NAB AFL Draft, with his form for North Adelaide drawing interest. 

The 23-year-old spent three years with the Swans before he was cut at the end of their 2012 premiership season, and he is determined to earn a second chance.     

"It's definitely a long-term goal of mine," Gordon told AFL.com.au.

"I'm halfway through the year with North Adelaide and I have to focus on each game and playing my best footy.

"But every now and then you have a little think about getting back into the AFL. You can't really help it if that's where you want to be."

Gordon started this season as a midfielder but he has pushed into attack in recent weeks to cover for injured Adelaide-listed forward Lewis Johnston, kicking 13 goals in the last month. 

His move to the SANFL has proven a wise choice after Swans assistant coach Stuart Dew helped open doors at North Adelaide, where former Port Adelaide midfielder Josh Francou is coach. 

"I've heard a lot about players coming down here and looking to get re-drafted," Gordon said.

"I didn't really know what to expect, what the competition would be like and how I'd fit in coming from the NEAFL.

"I feel like I've had a reasonable year though, and I'm pretty comfortable in this competition I think."

A former NSW Scholarship holder, Gordon spent 2010 and 2011 on the Swans' rookie list, playing two games in 2011 before earning promotion to the senior list last season.

He was emergency nine times last year but couldn't earn a senior game and was delivered the bad news six days after the Swans' Grand Final win over Hawthorn.

"You can actually kind of see it coming," he said.

"You can see the type of players they're bringing in and there were a lot of players my size and my position.

"I walked out of there not knowing what to do and I had a week or two off, trying to get footy off my mind.

"That's when Stuart Dew called me and asked what I wanted to do.

"A couple of weeks after that I organised to see Josh Francou and (CEO) Greg Edwards at North Adelaide and we got that sorted.

"I was over here before Christmas."

Gordon's improvement with the Swans was steady, but ultimately there was no room for him on a talented list with deep midfield stocks.   

If he gets another chance, he's determined not to let it slip.

"I think I'm in that position now and I'm saying to myself that I want to change my destiny because I think I've got a lot to offer."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-03/former-swan-seeking-rebirth

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 09:28:53 PM »
Greg Edwards is Shane's dad for anyone who didnt know

gerkin greg

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 09:30:37 PM »
Greg  :clapping

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 10:11:41 PM »
The obvious smokie of the draft, pinching myself he slid to 50 after a standout season ....will be belting the door down for a spot in the tiger front half,
I'd dare say he won't but like I've said whatta I know ???

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 10:32:33 PM »
Big Nate   :clapping

Will be a 350+ game player

dwaino

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 10:45:52 PM »

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 10:50:45 PM »
 :clapping

What year was Gordo drafted by swans and at what number?

Have a feeling will be an improvement on lonergan
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 11:14:39 PM by Judge Roughneck »

the claw

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 10:51:51 PM »
who knows hes a lovely size and it seems he has the hunger. hes not one ive looked at any one know what his skill set is like  what his pace is like and how clean he is.and just how good his performances have been at north adelaide. anyone know where he finished in the na best and fairest and how he went in the sanfl equivalent. has anyone seen a bit of him play.

all i can say id good luck to him i hope he can make it.

tony_montana

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 11:07:29 PM »
who knows hes a lovely size and it seems he has the hunger. hes not one ive looked at any one know what his skill set is like  what his pace is like and how clean he is.and just how good his performances have been at north adelaide. anyone know where he finished in the na best and fairest and how he went in the sanfl equivalent. has anyone seen a bit of him play.

all i can say id good luck to him i hope he can make it.

Got a client whose son plays at Norwood, will be asking him for some info -  even if it is second hand, its coming straight from a peer

the claw

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 11:09:50 PM »

What year and lick was he originally drafted. Sydney don't get many wrong

oh cmon judge you would be an improvement on lonergan no disrespect intended. surely we want more than that from our recruits and our second pick in the nd.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2013, 11:15:33 PM »

What year and lick was he originally drafted. Sydney don't get many wrong

oh cmon judge you would be an improvement on lonergan no disrespect intended. surely we want more than that from our recruits and our second pick in the nd.

seeing the 'stuff' interview again jogged my memory (had no idea who he was untill that). i think he goes alright  :thumbsup

If he canwin  the spot of grigg that's more than enough for me for a second national draft selection
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 01:27:16 AM by Judge Roughneck »

dwaino

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 01:35:04 AM »
Former NSW scholarship player for us. High energy player, hardworking, great leap, strong hands. When he played for our reserves he alternated as a half-forward and in the midfield. In the few senior AFL games he played he was used as a defensive small forward.

Went to the SANFL with North Adelaide this year and had a real purple patch in the middle of the year when he was asked to play as a tall forward in the absence of Lewis Johnston and kicked big bags (a 7-goal and a 5-goal haul IIRC). Form tapered off when he returned to the midfield but finished the season off strongly.

His weaknesses are he tends to give away a fair share of head high free kicks, mainly from going into the the contest too eagerly and some of his disposal can be quite ordinary. I'm glad he has received another opportunity to prove himself at the highest level because I felt, and many of my fellow posters also felt, that he was harshly delisted last year (maybe some off-field issues were involved who knows?)

I think he will offer your team another option who can rotate through the midfield and half forward areas. Don't expect him to kick too many goals (his SANFL goal record did surprise me) but he'll give full effort in whatever role is asked of him.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/welcome-to-richmond-nathan-gordon-pick-50.1041588/#post-31019250

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 01:56:28 AM »
Personally would have expected Lloyd to go first of the 2 but a good get. Would have preferred Templeton but thems the breaks. Can't believe no one took that kid lol.

Quick and offered some x-factor at SANFL level. Works his backside off going the other way and is ready now. We needed to add some speed and skill to our half-forward line in the absence of White. With some solid development he should be a rather large upgrade on White.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2013, 06:54:03 AM »
Greg Edwards is Shane's dad for anyone who didnt know

Yeah good bloke and has good eye for footy talent  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)