Author Topic: Who will be your club's next captain? ........ (afl site)  (Read 2553 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Who will be your club's next captain? ........ (afl site)
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 05:24:41 PM »
Why not give no 17 to Vlaustin next year.  Just means there will be no argument over it when he does become captain

Because I doubt the kid would take it, as I posted earlier he sees number 17 at the RFC as being the "captain's number". So based on that doubt he'd take it, if offered

Only going by what young Nick said on twitter before Xmas when someone asked him how he'd feel if he was offered number 17. He said it wasn't an option because number17 is the captains number at the RFC. Thought it was tremendous thing for a first year player to say

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

1980 I Was There

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 05:32:32 PM »
Why not give no 17 to Vlaustin next year.  Just means there will be no argument over it when he does become captain

Because I doubt the kid would take it, as I posted earlier he sees number 17 at the RFC as being the "captain's number". So based on that doubt he'd take it, if offered

Only going by what young Nick said on twitter before Xmas when someone asked him how he'd feel if he was offered number 17. He said it wasn't an option because number17 is the captains number at the RFC. Thought it was tremendous thing for a first year player to say

Yeah true, it's all about time and learning.
I reckon over time he may come to feel that he deserves the number 17.
Just have to wait and see I suppose.

If not him, somebody some day will be the ONE to deserve and want the 17

Offline Tigershark

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 10:36:28 AM »

do you think that Lids or Jacko or Jack for that matter would wear the no. 17 if they were made captain considering the number of games they ave had their current one for......by the time chimp retires or hands over the captaincy then Vlaustin would have already played 100+ games so let's show the kid what we think of him as a potential leader and give him the number.  If he's played 100 plus games in another number then he may not want it either....nice of him to show his understanding of the jumper but if I was offered the no 17 I would take it in the blink of an eye.....sheepers I would take number 13464324

edited to correct quote
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 10:48:06 AM by WilliamPowell »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 10:54:08 AM »
do you think that Lids or Jacko or Jack for that matter would wear the no. 17 if they were made captain considering the number of games they ave had their current one for

Honestly? Yes I think they both would have no hesitation in saying that

by the time chimp retires or hands over the captaincy then Vlaustin would have already played 100+ games so let's show the kid what we think of him as a potential leader and give him the number.  If he's played 100 plus games in another number then he may not want it either....nice of him to show his understanding of the jumper but if I was offered the no 17 I would take it in the blink of an eye.....sheepers I would take number 13464324

BTW, the previous 3 players who were captain that wore the number 17 as part of their role as captain had all played a fair whack of games in other numbers, so I reckon the number of games in a particular number isn't the issue. Individual choice was  ;)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 12:32:19 PM »
WP, we all know how you feel about the way Cotchin and the club handled the affair.  It's now time to move on.

As someone else put it, the time our Captain wore the number 17 will end up being one of our most unsuccessful periods so in some way breaking the tradition allows us to venture into a new world.  A world that brings success with it hopefully!

I actually used to enjoy seeing which youngster would end up wearing the no.17 jumper and whether they would make a mark on it. The most notables in my memory where Barry Richardson, Allan Edwards and Maurice Rioli.  Each in their own way contributed to the mystique of the number.  Not having it as the captain's number also allows the player to play in it with more flair, because captains always have to do the boring team thing.....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Who will be your club's next captain?
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 01:14:19 PM »
WP, we all know how you feel about the way Cotchin and the club handled the affair.  It's now time to move on.

I was asked a question and I answered it.

Actually I have moved on as per what I posted the other day

q
End of the day it is just my take, disappointed with what we have now but accept it for what/how it is

;D

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 09:46:37 AM »

I actually used to enjoy seeing which youngster would end up wearing the no.17 jumper and whether they would make a mark on it. The most notables in my memory where Barry Richardson, Allan Edwards and Maurice Rioli.  Each in their own way contributed to the mystique of the number.  Not having it as the captain's number also allows the player to play in it with more flair, because captains always have to do the boring team thing.....

Couldn't agree more and what killed it for me was watching a captain who may have done all the captain things except play like one wear the jumper

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 12:04:43 AM »
Give 17 to the water boy
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Who will be your club's next captain?
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 09:28:41 AM »
Cothin

Nope

Cothcin

Not quite

Cotchin

There you go , you can do it !  ;D

FWIW I think no.17 is just another tiger guernsey number. Jack and Maurice perfomed well in it. Good on them. No. 4 is probably more famous to be honest.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos