Author Topic: Who will be your club's next captain? ........ (afl site)  (Read 2584 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Who will be your club's next captain? ........ (afl site)
« on: December 26, 2013, 12:48:05 PM »
Who will be your club's next captain?
Nathan Schmook
afl.com.au
December 26, 2013

RICHMOND
Trent Cotchin was made captain at the end of 2012 after Chris Newman stood down, taking on the role as a 22-year-old. One year on, he appears comfortable in the job and set for a long reign as the Tigers' on-field leader. He is supported by vice-captain Brett Deledio, while ruckman Ivan Maric, star forward Jack Riewoldt and defender Dylan Grimes rounded out the leadership group in 2013. If anything, Cotchin requires more support in the midfield when the Tigers shape their leadership structure for 2014. Young on-baller Nick Vlastuin, who captained Vic Metro in 2012, is one player who could be moulded as a future leader. Reece Conca could also be ready to take on more responsibility. Key defender Troy Chaplin had an immediate impact as a leader in his first season after crossing as a free agent from Port Adelaide and it wouldn't surprise if he had an official role in 2014. 

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-12-26/who-will-be-your-clubs-next-captain
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 01:17:10 PM by one-eyed »

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Re: Who will be your club's next captain?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 12:53:22 PM »
Nicky V would be the obvious choice, an embarrassment of riches really,  :clapping
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 01:10:43 PM »
Easy choice has to be Nick Vlastuin

Believes in the number 17 being the captains number, understands why it was introduced and what is to stands for.   :clapping

Good enough for me   ;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Gigantor

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 01:13:17 PM »
WP you don't reckon Cotch understands enough about the significance of number 17 to Richmond?
I was going to say hes a generation y ,so the past might mean diddly squat to him,but I guess Vlass is gen Y too

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 01:32:59 PM »

Believes in the number 17 being the captains number, understands why it was introduced and what is to stands for.   :clapping

Good enough for me   ;D

You're in the minority on that one. Nobody cares about the number 17 being used as the captains number. It was a silly scenario

It won't happen again
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 03:53:48 PM »

Good enough for me   ;D

You're in the minority on that one. Nobody cares about the number 17 being used as the captains number. It was a silly scenario

It won't happen again

I wouldn't mind if the 17 was worn and played in the way Dyer did, but watching KJ run around in it killed my desire of the 17 being the captains number

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 04:55:05 PM »
WP you don't reckon Cotch understands enough about the significance of number 17 to Richmond?
I was going to say hes a generation y ,so the past might mean diddly squat to him,but I guess Vlass is gen Y too

Only going by what young Nick said on twitter before Xmas when someone asked him how he'd feel if he was offered number 17. He said it wasn't an option because number17 is the captains number at the RFC. Thought it was tremendous thing for a first year player to say

As for Cotch I think he understands what number 17 means at the RFC but I think he maybe like a few others and that is they don't understand why it was introduced as the captains number.

And TBBH I am far more disappointed in the RFC board for not showing strength and leadership and enforcing their own directive than I am in Cotch

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 06:03:05 PM »

Only going by what young Nick said on twitter before Xmas when someone asked him how he'd feel if he was offered number 17. He said it wasn't an option because number17 is the captains number at the RFC. Thought it was tremendous thing for a first year player to say

As for Cotch I think he understands what number 17 means at the RFC but I think he maybe like a few others and that is they don't understand why it was introduced as the captains number.

And TBBH I am far more disappointed in the RFC board for not showing strength and leadership and enforcing their own directive than I am in Cotch
Hi WP, hope you had a great Christmas.
I understand what you are saying but IMO I took it (from Cotch) that he wanted to make it about the current group of players, whatever they achieve. JD was a long time ago and that's all great, but i think Cotch as captain and his players want to live in the now. I don't take it as a lack of respect for JD or his number but a massive message to everyone that he is his own man and will take the responsiblity for what happens in his time as captain. IMHO I think it took a lot of balls to go the way he went. And I think the RFC respected his opinion on it. Big call by both parties but one I am really comfortable with. Trent will be a great captain in time and for a long time for our wonderful club.  :gotigers

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 06:31:23 PM »
I understand what you are saying but IMO I took it (from Cotch) that he wanted to make it about the current group of players, whatever they achieve. JD was a long time ago and that's all great, but i think Cotch as captain and his players want to live in the now. I don't take it as a lack of respect for JD or his number but a massive message to everyone that he is his own man and will take the responsiblity for what happens in his time as captain. IMHO I think it took a lot of balls to go the way he went. And I think the RFC respected his opinion on it. Big call by both parties but one I am really comfortable with. Trent will be a great captain in time and for a long time for our wonderful club.  :gotigers

Thanks big tone, had a great Xmas, hope you did too.

Understand your sentiments and respect your view.

While you say "it took a lot of balls to go the way he went" I look at it the other way and think it was selfish in that he put his desire to keep his own number rather than embrace what the the club had established. I remember reading that he said at the time of his appointment that he wanted to keep his own number because he had always worn number 9 and that there was already enough recognition of number 17 at the club with the B&F and the a stand being named after Dyer.

I posted at the time and I stand by what I wrote that being named captain of your club/team is the greatest individual honour you can receive and if you are going accept that honour you take on everything that goes with it. And at the RFC that meant wearing number 17.

As for the club respecting his opinion again personally not so sure about that. Think you may find there were a couple on the board very disappointed with it. Hence, why I reckon it was a distinct lack of leadership by the board. If you not happy, then enforce the resolution you enacted.

End of the day it is just my take, disappointed with what we have now but accept it for what/how it is

I know there's a number of folks who don't agree but I also know there a number who do

We'll just have to agree to disagree  :thumbsup

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 07:45:46 PM »

Thanks big tone, had a great Xmas, hope you did too.

Understand your sentiments and respect your view.

While you say "it took a lot of balls to go the way he went" I look at it the other way and think it was selfish in that he put his desire to keep his own number rather than embrace what the the club had established. I remember reading that he said at the time of his appointment that he wanted to keep his own number because he had always worn number 9 and that there was already enough recognition of number 17 at the club with the B&F and the a stand being named after Dyer.

I posted at the time and I stand by what I wrote that being named captain of your club/team is the greatest individual honour you can receive and if you are going accept that honour you take on everything that goes with it. And at the RFC that meant wearing number 17.

As for the club respecting his opinion again personally not so sure about that. Think you may find there were a couple on the board very disappointed with it. Hence, why I reckon it was a distinct lack of leadership by the board. If you not happy, then enforce the resolution you enacted.

End of the day it is just my take, disappointed with what we have now but accept it for what/how it is

I know there's a number of folks who don't agree but I also know there a number who do

We'll just have to agree to disagree  :thumbsup
Yer, fair call.
One last thing from me about it- i struggle to get my point across well a lot of the time in writing, (im a builder and we ain't to bright ;)) it's so much easier to talk about the Tigers in person over a few beers as my mates and I do.
But, and I'm just guessing, but I think Cotch just wanted this club to take a different direction than it had over the last really bad 30 odds years. And the allocating 17 to the captain was one of those things that happened in that dark time for this club. Him deciding not to do it, was his way of saying "this club has been SH$T for too long and it's time for a change, and if you think I'm the right man for the job, let me try it my way". Now as you say maybe not everyone was totally happy with his decision but not every decision is going to be unanimous but I think in the end the hardest and right decision was made. It would have been really easy for no change to have been made but making change and putting your name to it is even harder. Not bad for a kid of 20.
Again, only my opinion.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Who will be your club's next captain? ........ (afl site)
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 07:49:44 PM »
Cotch is the man, the scary thing is he hasn't even peaked yet as a footballer or as a captain

1980 I Was There

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 02:44:14 AM »

Good enough for me   ;D
I think everyone at Richmond has some sort of feel of the importance of the No. 17 Guernsey.
I think when it came down to it Newman didn't have much choice, if he wanted to remain captain then No. 17 it was.
Cothin on the other hand is a far better footballer, if he didn't want to wear it, then he's in the drivers seat because, yes he is good enough to be captain, and will be for a long time. Simply put, Richmond won't jeopardise losing Cotchin because of a jumper, premierships are for more important.

My first original thought and I still believe today, is that Cotchin knows he's going to have a great career (and so he should think like that) and wants his identity known, like so many other jumpers worn throughout time, so No. 9 for him will be forever at Richmond.

As for number 17, I have always believed that when a player comes along that earns his right to wear the 17 on his back (NOT because he is simply the captain) by being just like the great man himself. Which is a great leader, courageous, spirited, extremely team orientated, a powerfully talented footballer and extraordinarily tough, that's when the jumper should come out. This player should also be bred into the Tigers not a footy player that has come over to the Tigers halfway through his career.

All of these don't match any current Tiger player, ok Cothcin is pretty close and if Kingy asked for the jumper I wouldn't dare stand in his way (crazy little bugger he is).
Until that man arrives and indeed wants to pull on the greatest Tiger guernsey of all time, then bring it out, until then let it grow in greatness, eagerly waiting for a single Dyer like man to come along.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 09:38:05 AM »

Good enough for me   ;D
I think everyone at Richmond has some sort of feel of the importance of the No. 17 Guernsey.
I think when it came down to it Newman didn't have much choice, if he wanted to remain captain then No. 17 it was.
Cothin on the other hand is a far better footballer, if he didn't want to wear it, then he's in the drivers seat because, yes he is good enough to be captain, and will be for a long time. Simply put, Richmond won't jeopardise losing Cotchin because of a jumper, premierships are for more important.

My first original thought and I still believe today, is that Cotchin knows he's going to have a great career (and so he should think like that) and wants his identity known, like so many other jumpers worn throughout time, so No. 9 for him will be forever at Richmond.

As for number 17, I have always believed that when a player comes along that earns his right to wear the 17 on his back (NOT because he is simply the captain) by being just like the great man himself. Which is a great leader, courageous, spirited, extremely team orientated, a powerfully talented footballer and extraordinarily tough, that's when the jumper should come out. This player should also be bred into the Tigers not a footy player that has come over to the Tigers halfway through his career.

All of these don't match any current Tiger player, ok Cothcin is pretty close and if Kingy asked for the jumper I wouldn't dare stand in his way (crazy little bugger he is).
Until that man arrives and indeed wants to pull on the greatest Tiger guernsey of all time, then bring it out, until then let it grow in greatness, eagerly waiting for a single Dyer like man to come along.
Vlastuin represents so many of the things that Jack Dyer stood for.  I think that he may inherit that jumper in a year or two. He is the most likely player on our list I see having a chance of wearing it. McBean could wear it but needs to put on 15kg and then prove himself in the big league.  Of course, Lennon is a completely unknown entity at this stage.  He had rave reviews as a junior and has that touch of magic from all reports. He is the only other one there currently that might get into the race......
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

1980 I Was There

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 01:48:01 PM »

Good enough for me   ;D

Vlastuin represents so many of the things that Jack Dyer stood for.  I think that he may inherit that jumper in a year or two. He is the most likely player on our list I see having a chance of wearing it. McBean could wear it but needs to put on 15kg and then prove himself in the big league.  Of course, Lennon is a completely unknown entity at this stage.  He had rave reviews as a junior and has that touch of magic from all reports. He is the only other one there currently that might get into the race......

Yeah, I must say that I am quite excited about the young Vlastuin and yes he is a great candidate for the mighty number 17, let's hope he can come close to filling those boots.

Offline Tigershark

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Who will be your club's next captain? ........ (afl site)
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 04:48:34 PM »
Why not give no 17 to Vlaustin next year.  Just means there will be no argument over it when he does become captain