Author Topic: Did any Richmond players see action in WW2 ?  (Read 1694 times)

the claw

Re: Did any Richmond players see action in WW2 ?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 03:46:52 PM »
I always thought a rich and proud past is always a great basis to construct a bright future.

sorry mods wont continue on this tangent..will stick to the topic

We build a better future by learning from the past, not dwelling on it.  Just my 2 bob's worth.   ;)

well said unfortunately the rfc have far too often thru its history failed to heed many lessons at all.

as for war. well the entire history of man tells us there will always be despots, greed ,power hunger, have note who want what you have and just plain old orneriness and we had damn well better be prepared.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 01:39:44 PM »
List of VFL players who died on active service:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Victorian_Football_League_players_who_died_on_active_service

Interesting.
For a game with such "feared" and heroic figures, there were next to none willing to die for their country, let alone see action

I knew they were full of poo.

Football celebs, too important to go to war (gutless).
Leave that to the fans
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 01:57:22 PM »
W0t about the ones that went but failed to die

Cowards/ hero's?

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel bro... the yanks didn't even wanna fight

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 02:08:25 PM »
That's a stupid question in it's simplest form.

It's one thing not to enlist but another to stick around and pretend you're a big man, let alone say you ARE supporting the war effort.....
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 02:12:01 PM »
Humans been fighting for tens thousands years and it always seems to be the stupidest poorest bastards on the front line how many sons of us political elite are in middle east now ...

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 10:34:46 AM »
That's a stupid question in it's simplest form.

It's one thing not to enlist but another to stick around and pretend you're a big man, let alone say you ARE supporting the war effort.....

Stupid question for a stupid bloke.

I think I saw you in Iraq.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 08:03:56 AM »
Way I see it is, don't judge, you wanna find out, sign up for a stint like some of us have.  If you haven't served, you certainly have no place calling anyone a coward.  In WWII your life expectancy on the front was pretty stuffing short and last time I checked, you only get one go even if you do believe in unicorns.  Facing incoming ordinance and keeping your poo in one sock is a hell of a job description to take on, and the pay wasn't flash even if you lived to spend it.  If you have people who are not gonna perform under the nasty conditions, or panic, they are obviously not suited and would be unreliable.  They might have other skills that are important for our society though.  Horses for courses.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 10:46:18 AM »
Way I see it is, don't judge, you wanna find out, sign up for a stint like some of us have.  If you haven't served, you certainly have no place calling anyone a coward.  In WWII your life expectancy on the front was pretty stuffing short and last time I checked, you only get one go even if you do believe in unicorns.  Facing incoming ordinance and keeping your poo in one sock is a hell of a job description to take on, and the pay wasn't flash even if you lived to spend it.  If you have people who are not gonna perform under the nasty conditions, or panic, they are obviously not suited and would be unreliable.  They might have other skills that are important for our society though.  Horses for courses.

Well said Owl.   :clapping   :thumbsup

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 10:21:21 AM »

stuffen A bro.