Author Topic: Hardwick interview Jan 24 - 2014 expectations / Dusty the defender (afl site)  (Read 4936 times)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I think the moving to defense thing is just some dribble thrown out there to past the time until footy starts again

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
I think its an attempt to turn him into a hodge.  Also he loses the tag during games if he is down back so he might impaxt games a bit more

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
With the 120 inter-changes a game now all teams are looking for ways to optimize their midfields. The forward line has been used to 'rest' ruck men in the past and midfielders more recently. Now it looks like defense will be used as another place to house midfielders. I say house rather than rest because I feel you can't rest to the same degree in the D50 as you can in the F50 because you will be terribly exposed. Perhaps the midfielders who move back will be played on the resting opposition mids.

Morris is will not be part of the rotations and Houli would be unlikely (though I feel he could move to a wing?!). That leaves Newman, Deledio, Vlaustin who rotate through there. King doesnt rotate but Cotchin and Martin rotating through the forward line. Does Jackson, Ellis, Grigg, Conca or Foley rotate?

Martin has not been as successful resting in the forward line this year. The opposition have woken up to the wrestling tactics of Martin. The facts are that when Martin has the ball in his hands he is extremely creative and sensational at switching the play. If you have both Houli and Martin streaming out of the back line oppositions will not be able to defend both and consequently both players will get more of the ball.

The other factor is the sheer amount of mid/forwards. We want to be more unpredictable up forward and Dusty has become too predictable. Use his strengths in the best way you can through the middle and running off the half back. 

tony_montana

Stripes, dusty had over 50 shots at goal, not bad for a part time fwd... The only problem he had and the only thing that stopped him getting AA was his poor conversion...

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
True tony but many were long range attempts that could have been passes. When he is in the midfield he is more dangerous and capable at scoring goals than when he is resting forward. I think the theory will be to share his time between the backline and midfield in 2014 so he will be able to run out games better and use the ball more potently when he isn't in the F50.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
With 15 of the opposition team in the D50 and three of those on Jackie boy 60m goal kicking kids should be encouraged to kick long not pass off

tony_montana

I just don't see it stripes, reckon he is unstoppable when resting fwd and with his skills and players dbl and triple teaming jack you'd want your best kickers taking shots like chuck mentioned.

1980 I Was There

I just don't see it stripes, reckon he is unstoppable when resting fwd and with his skills and players dbl and triple teaming jack you'd want your best kickers taking shots like chuck mentioned.
If Dusty was a good kick for goal I would agree with you, but as I said earlier, his shots on goal are far to wasteful, even if the excuse is he had more shots from 50+ .
If you want someone reliable shooting for goal you want Kingy doing that, as well as vickery, even Griggs conversion rate is improving and still better than dusty.

The kid can kick 60 off a step with good accuracy (as long as it's not at goal), so let him do the damage across the middle, which is where we lack a lot of intensity. He can do that without having to just bomb away.

tony_montana

If Dusty was a good kick for goal I would agree with you, but as I said earlier, his shots on goal are far to wasteful, even if the excuse is he had more shots from 50+ .
If you want someone reliable shooting for goal you want Kingy doing that, as well as vickery, even Griggs conversion rate is improving and still better than dusty.

The kid can kick 60 off a step with good accuracy (as long as it's not at goal), so let him do the damage across the middle, which is where we lack a lot of intensity. He can do that without having to just bomb away.

Everyone goes through badpatches with kicking for goal, even Jack who is one of the better set shots in the competition missed his fair share of sitters this season Doesn't mean he's a bad kick and shouldn't have shots at goal. dusty is a quality kick and if he has another 50 shots in 2014 odds are he'll kick more than he misses.

tony_montana

People are too quick to label these days, the kid can clearly kick, it's not an issue

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
People are too quick to label these days, the kid can clearly kick, it's not an issue

Yep it's obvious, any perceived bad kicking is just because he is loading them up from 50 out

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Dusty doesn't lead we'll or take many contested marks in the F50 in 2013. We used to clear the forward line to try and exploit a smaller bodied midfielder against Dusty. In 2013 opposition teams planned for this and as a result Dusty didn't have the same impact while resting forward as he has had in the past.

When Dusty had space in the midfield he was dangerous. Running into the forward line from the midfield he created plenty of scoring opportunities. Due to the difficulty of where these opportunities occurring from he missed as many times as he goaled.

By moving Dusty to the half back when he is not rotating through the midfield, I'm not convinced his goal numbers will drop much but his ability to cut through opposition zones and create scoring chains will be magnified. I can't see it being a negative especially given the sheer amount of natural small  forwards and attacking midfielders in our squad this year.

Remember too that once the opposition figured out how to bloke Jacks jump we had to change tactics and roles to ensure Jacks talents could still be utilized in 2013 without reducing our scoring capabilities. Changing Dustys role to rotate through defense could be best for him and,more importantly, the side. We again become less predictable.

The sky isn't falling I assure you. Lets see if it even eventuates at all yet and if it does give it a few weeks before making judgement.  :thumbsup

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Morris. Grimes. Chaplin
Martin. AlexRance. Deledio.
Ellis. Cotchin. Jackson.
Knights. Riewoldt. SEdwards.
Vickery. Griffiths. King.
Maric. Vlastuin. Conca. 
Hampson. Newman. Houli. Foley.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
He's a goal kicking mid - how many of those are there in the comp?
I reckon we build on what he's already doing.
I'm sure he can be taught to lead and his kicking will improve as his fitness improves. I'm looking forward to seeing him play a Mark Ricciuto type role down the track
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
He's a goal kicking mid - how many of those are there in the comp?
I reckon we build on what he's already doing.
I'm sure he can be taught to lead and his kicking will improve as his fitness improves. I'm looking forward to seeing him play a Mark Ricciuto type role down the track

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"