Author Topic: Demetriou set to resign?  (Read 10022 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Demetriou set to resign?
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2014, 12:56:36 PM »
Further to this you are dismissing what Hird said because he was trying to save his bacon.
I sm dismissing what AD said because he was trying to save his bacon.
This has not been judged in a court of law. What makes your thoughts more correct than mine?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2014, 01:03:46 PM »
Where did I say the ACC leaked anything??????????
They never told AD anything.  They didn't need to. He already knew. As I said, if I knew, surely he did too!

It is your view that he knew. You say you knew so he had to have known. I would say how can you be 100% sure?

BTW You said originally

"Firstly, he erred in tipping off Essendon about the ACC and ASADA."

You made no other reference to what you knew so I have made an assumption (like some in the media did) that Andy D was told by the ACC prior to his meeting in Canberra with them who the club was.

Which I will repeat he has denied many times and that it is only Hird & Corcoran who has claimed otherwise. Evans the person who had the phone conversation with Demetriou has denied it
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2014, 01:06:37 PM »
This moment came to me in a dream.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2014, 01:08:43 PM »
the AFL not wanting the EFC banned.

Do you disagree? Banning players is worst case scenario for the league. The AFL is contracted to the extent of one billion dollars to host 9 games per week. This become very tough if the majority of the EFC list is banned.

That is not correct because with regard to the drug issue it is a matter for ASADA to sort out. The AFL is a signatory to the WADA code therefore bound to follow their rules & regulations.

Technically you are incorrect. ASADA/WADA give out infraction notices but the final decision comes down to the AFL. However dismissing WADA as the sports drug testers would result in a lose of face for the AFL and federal government money.

For the AFL to ban players at this stage would breach those rules but also run the risk of impeding any ASADA finding. Is that what you want? Any punishment they handed out to Essendon last August needed to ensure that it didnt damage any future ADASA findings punishment

I have not said anything of the sort. Merely it is in the interest of the AFL IMO for banning to not happen. I also believe if they have an option of 'helping' players not get a ban they will follow this path.

Would you be happy if the AFL went whack suspensed players and then next month when the full completed ASADA findings are released they are unable to do anything because of what the AFL did previously? Doubt you would

What makes me unhappy is the game is in the position where it will not support the banning of players, due to the fact they will potentially lose big money as a result. And once again it seems the integtiry of the sport comes in at last position. I bet the like of Saad and Justin Charles think its all bollocks.

BTW I am not sure who you can come to the conclusion that he supports any form of players taking drugs when on his watch the AFL was the first sporting body in this country to bring in out of competition testing  ::)

There are rumors players have been done for 'three strikes'. And yet allowed to continue due to marketability of said athletics. But I will leave this one alone.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2014, 01:10:09 PM »
Further to this you are dismissing what Hird said because he was trying to save his bacon.
This has not been judged in a court of law. What makes your thoughts more correct than mine?

I dismiss what Hird says because outside of his "flip flopping" throughout this fiasco he refused to take any repsonsibility for what happened. Throw in the way he turned on his mate David Evans  :whistle  Just don't like the man, never have. Don't particularly like Andy D either BTW 

Wish it had of gone to a court of law because it would have been interesting on so many levels but the EFC was never going to go to court and I doubt Hird would have either ;D

Where did I say my thought are more correct than yours. My opinion is no more correct than yours because they are just that opinions/views  :thumbsup

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2014, 01:10:20 PM »
Killed the game & replaced it with a plastic "product', turning the sport in to a reality tv show in the process, complete with contrived drama, faux outrages, rules made on the fly and a slanted playing field. Good riddance to the fat K.Hunt.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2014, 01:11:25 PM »
Wish it had of gone to a court of law

Amen to that

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2014, 01:21:34 PM »
the AFL not wanting the EFC banned.

Do you disagree? Banning players is worst case scenario for the league. The AFL is contracted to the extent of one billion dollars to host 9 games per week. This become very tough if the majority of the EFC list is banned.

Totally irrelevant what the league wants or how it looks, they are requred as a signatory of the WADA code to enforce the rules. Which means players must be penalised to the satisfaction of ASADA/WADA see below

Technically you are incorrect. ASADA/WADA give out infraction notices but the final decision comes down to the AFL. However dismissing WADA as the sports drug testers would result in a lose of face for the AFL and federal government money.

Suggest you look at how it works. Yes ASADA will issue the infraction notices and players face the AFL Drugs tribunal and determine the penalty

But if WADA is not happy with the penalty they can appeal and request a harsher penalty via the World Sport Admin Tribunal (can't remember its correct name)

It is exactly what they have done with Saad from St Kilda. AFL tribunal gave him 12 months

WADA/ASADA said no we want the maximum 2 years

The AFL have no control over it if it gets to that stage

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2014, 01:24:47 PM »
The AFL have no control over it if it gets to that stage

unfortunately

The AFL can discontinue their association with WADa/ASADA

the AFL last string of control is to stop working with WADA as the AFLs drug agency. and probable lose federal funding to the afl.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2014, 01:27:43 PM »
Where did I say the ACC leaked anything??????????
They never told AD anything.  They didn't need to. He already knew. As I said, if I knew, surely he did too!

It is your view that he knew. You say you knew so he had to have known. I would say how can you be 100% sure?

BTW You said originally

"Firstly, he erred in tipping off Essendon about the ACC and ASADA."

You made no other reference to what you knew so I have made an assumption (like some in the media did) that Andy D was told by the ACC prior to his meeting in Canberra with them who the club was.

Which I will repeat he has denied many times and that it is only Hird & Corcoran who has claimed otherwise. Evans the person who had the phone conversation with Demetriou has denied it
Fistly excuse me as I am typing this on my phone.
I am sure AD knew.  If he didn't he should have resigned because he wasn't doing his job. Many knew what was going on. Gerard Healy went to the AFL and told them what he heard was happening at Essendon.
How obvious does it have to be?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2014, 01:28:24 PM »
if wada give out 40 two years bans

and the afl dont want to accept this

they can discontinue their association with WADa/ASADA

:lol :lol

yes the can but they wont (it wont be 40 bans either)

Why?

Two words for you

Government Funding  :thumbsup

:rollin

gerkin greg

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2014, 01:40:32 PM »
My theory is he is a reptilian and is going to return to his homeworld with Obama once he is out of office.

he's been laying eggs in vegetarian restaurants around melbourne for years

no doubt you are already a host

soon he will come to eat your skull and the spawn within, a gruesome reality you brought upon yourself

best not to think about it  :cheers

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2014, 01:40:52 PM »
yes the can but they wont (it wont be 40 bans either)

Stephen Dank: It is very high in [proteins]. I think your doctor source could possibly be right but there is some very, very good data supporting it. There is some data not so supportive, to be honest. But at the end of the day, right, if we have to wait for an absolute blueprint piece of scientific literature on everything that is used in exercise we would end up using nothing.
Advertisement 
NM: Thymosin Beta 4 – why was that used in Essendon players given there is an opinion from a doctor or researcher and other scientists that its effects are uncertain? (note: The AFL believes it has a strong circumstantial case that TB-4 was used on players.)
SD: That's not totally true Nick because, with all due respect, right, there is good data – very good data – that supports Thymosin Beta 4 in the immune system.
NM: OK, why give it to all Essendon players if only some of them had colds and flu?
SD: Well, the point is that there is a degree of immunosuppression after a game or a hard training week, right. Often times the ability to back up next week is decreased by the hit on the immune system.

how many will it be?

Club captain Jobe Watson, Dyson Heppell and Michael Hurley are among 10 current Essendon players the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority says told its investigators they suspected they had been injected with either Thymosin, AOD-9604 or both.
The others are Tom Bellchambers, Jake Melksham, Heath Hocking, Michael Hibberd, Kyle Hardingham, Tayte Pears and Alex Browne.

if you reckon its just them - i would think it possible there are others who are chemically enhanced that simply lied in the asada interview...

Government Funding

how much does AFL get from TV rights vs Federal funding...

gerkin greg

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2014, 01:48:54 PM »
Killed the game & replaced it with a plastic "product', turning the sport in to a reality tv show in the process, complete with contrived drama, faux outrages, rules made on the fly and a slanted playing field. Good riddance to the fat K.Hunt.

AFL has had a slanted playing field for over 150 years, the media are responsible for sport becoming a reality tv show, and the fat one's bosses for the rule changes. The game has become sanitised though, too many KFC napkins in the CEOs office.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2014, 02:39:12 PM »
how many will it be?

I would think those named yesterday in the HUN would be very nervous because they have admitted they believe they took banned substances.

I reckon those who said they haven't got a clue what they took, they will most likely get off. 

if you reckon its just them - i would think it possible there are others who are chemically enhanced that simply lied in the asada interview...

Perhaps but prove that they lied. They could be just that stupid and not know. I think it is fair to believe that the kids wouldn't have a clue, they would have been sheep and just followed what the great man Hird told them

how much does AFL get from TV rights vs Federal funding...

They get millions it's in the multi millions I believe

It really doesn't matter because in today's climate thanks to the Bumblings and what they've done the TV networks are weary of being seen to be supporting cheating so IMHO they would drop the AFL or any other sport like a hot potatoes and there wouldn't be the broadcast billions