Author Topic: Vickery, Jack, Conca, Ellis 'didn't stand up' says Hardwick (afl, H-Sun, Age)  (Read 2896 times)

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Delivery into the forward line was poor, but they were also delivering it into a forward line where there was no movement, playing from behind, hiding in the forward pocket.
Major focus should be on our forward line structure this season.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
We have that many forwards to choose from it's amazing we can't find one or two to stand up!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
We have that many forwards to choose from it's amazing we can't find one or two to stand up!
Comes down to coaching I think, I agree

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
That's the point you hit it on the head.  I reckon though it means, because we do have quite a few, no harm in dropping them to get them to find form in the seconds and let them fight for those positions.

tony_montana

I said Ellis had a crap pre season and looks like he has carried it into the season proper.

Ellis wasn't too bad, wasn't in our worst 6-7 imo. Did some nice things just faded in the 2nd half and didn't get enough of it. Conca I just don't get the criticism. He's coming back from a major injury and missed a fair bit of preseason, he was in amongst it most of the night and did plenty of hard stuff laying tackles, bumps. What about untouchable Newman? As a "leader" this guy never ever stands up when the heat intensifies, goes missing. Vickery and Jack don't know how to lead up the ground and give our mids a bloody target. They just sit 60 metres away calling for the ball over their opponents head

tony_montana

Delivery into the forward line was poor, but they were also delivering it into a forward line where there was no movement, playing from behind, hiding in the forward pocket.
Major focus should be on our forward line structure this season.

Exactly

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
All Edwards did wrong in the pre-season was be inaccurate.  At least he was getting it to have shots on goal.  I think he was the wrong person to drop.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
I said Ellis had a crap pre season and looks like he has carried it into the season proper.

Ellis wasn't too bad, wasn't in our worst 6-7 imo. Did some nice things just faded in the 2nd half and didn't get enough of it. Conca I just don't get the criticism. He's coming back from a major injury and missed a fair bit of preseason, he was in amongst it most of the night and did plenty of hard stuff laying tackles, bumps. What about untouchable Newman? As a "leader" this guy never ever stands up when the heat intensifies, goes missing. Vickery and Jack don't know how to lead up the ground and give our mids a bloody target. They just sit 60 metres away calling for the ball over their opponents head
amazing when Griffiths went off we had zero targets. Who would have thought that? He was the only one presenting Dimma and you sub him out. We had these pricks when we hit the front. Had them. But we had no one to kick to. We smashed them in nearly every category. Unfortunately that included "number of KPFs who play from behind and don't lead"

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame

agree that ellis wasnt toobad but did want more out of him. 
pettard was poor i reckon
cant see  what you could get outof conca.  23 touches, 8 clearance and 8 tackles (most in the team) and was in amongst it. 

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I think the other clubs are working out that he is an important link man that can hurt them and are trying to blanket him more.
Of course they leave Grigg alone as he rarely hurts the opposition.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
This is the perfect time for Griffiths to be shoved into FF & become a very serviceable player. l beleive if he is not given the chance he may as well look at going to another club. Our forward line needs a huge change. Shane Edwards needs to be banished to the reserves & not return until he is placed in the best players 5 weeks in a row. They did it to Tuck & Bowden for punishment & l seriously think this guy is not a worthy AFL player until he puts games together. 2006 & he has produced nothing. We need a killer HFF & we let him go in Dmac so the club needs to find another player like that or talk him back to the club. He was drafted for that role & we need a player like him to break lines & tackle hard. last night was no doubt the worst game l have ever watched ever. If the Suns had kicked better we would have looked 10 times as bad & the media would have raped us. Astbury plays the man & not the ball. Get rid of him. The backline is the worst ever

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
one other thing l forgot to mention is Vickery doing what Rewoldt has been doing the past years & berating his players while his opponant is running away thinking of the next play. NO FORWARD PRESSURE at all. that alone is one of the biggest factors in AFL football today. NO WORK RATE. Drop Vickery until he is in the Reserves best 5 weeks in a row.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
Conca, Ellis 'didn't stand up' says Hardwick
Michael Whiting 
afl.com.au
March 16, 2014 12:45 AM

"I thought our ball use inside 50 wasn't to its usual standard. We've got to work on that and rectify that before our round two clash," he said.

"I thought we were a six out of 10 tonight. Take nothing away from Gold Coast, their pressure was terrific, they're a much-improved side, we've just got to play a hell of a lot better than what we dished up tonight."

Touted as top-eight – and potential top-four – aspirants prior to the season, Hardwick said the first-up defeat was no more significant than any other.

"It's disappointing to lose, regardless of whether it's round one or round two. We hate losing footy games," he said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-16/coach-report-damien-hardwick
You've got to be kidding!!!!
It's this sort of mediocre rhetoric that keeps a team from finals!!!!!

It wasn't an acceptable standard. Not even close!

6/10 was a pass mark when I was at school and when I last read the score WE LOST!

What we dished up was unacceptable!
We were flaccid, disinterested and SOFT!
We were slow, disorganized and SOFT!
We were fumbling, unskilled and SOFT!

That sort of B.S. might be a reason why there is rejoicing over 1 finals appearance in over 10 years only to be defeated by an enemy that wasn't supposed to be there in the first place. (Don't get me started)

Accepting mediocrity like this and we will be rebuilding in 2 years. Only because it will take them another 2 years to recognize they are kidding themselves.

RAISE THE BAR!
LIFT THE STANDARD!
SUFFER WHEN YOU LOSE!
NEVER BE SATISFIED!
DESIRE PERFECTION!

....and never rate a loss anything more than 0 out of 10.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Naming players hardly shaming for Damien Hardwick (Age)
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 02:42:38 AM »
Naming hardly shaming for Damien Hardwick

Rohan Connolly
    The Age
    March 18, 2014

Coaches can't win sometimes. Fail to bring out the big stick after a disappointing team performance and they'll cop criticism for being too soft. But cut to the chase and they'll get a whack for demeaning their players.

Which was the sort of feedback Richmond coach Damien Hardwick was receiving on Monday after singling out a couple of younger Tigers and a more experienced pair after his team's first-up loss to Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium.

In the annals of coaching public sprays what Hardwick had to say after the game would be lucky to rank in the top 100. In fact, all he did was nod his agreement with observations anyone watching the game could have made. Namely, that their senior midfield core of Trent Cotchin, Brett Deledio and Dustin Martin didn't get enough support. And that Richmond's forward line didn't exactly live up to its potential.

"The disappointing thing for us – second-tier mids didn't stand up," he said. "I thought we'd get more out of Reece Conca and Brandon Ellis today, but unfortunately they just didn't lift their game to the standard that was required. Whereas for [the Suns] guys such as Prestia had a good game, Rischitelli as well."

It seemed pretty tame stuff. And nothing that the players named wouldn't freely concede if they were being honest with themselves. But there were enough learned football judges for whom it raised the eyebrows.

Former Hawthorn champion Dermott Brereton was just one who felt Hardwick shouldn't have actually named the players. "I'm not big on singling players out," Brereton said on SEN. "I'm big on that within a team environment, but then it's about presenting a united front."

But did what Hardwick say really leave his charges embarrassed or humiliated? Is the mere observation that two players haven't played to the level their side needs, a conclusion any supporter with yellow-and-black blood would have reached, a cause for consternation?

It was hardly a stunning revelation, particularly given the Tigers have all summer spoken about the need for the younger brigade of Conca, Ellis and Nick Vlastuin to get on board the midfield train if Richmond is to advance its cause as a potential top-four contender.

As for the forward line, just six goals to three-quarter-time was a long way short of a competitive tally. Jack Riewoldt's nine disposals, three marks and 1.2 was poor, and Ty Vickery, not for the first time, raised questions about whether he has sufficient class or nous to hold down a key forward post in a side that aspires to much more than the odd token finals appearance.

Not surprising then that Hardwick observed: "I thought Jack was well below his best, as was Ty Vickery.'' Boy, stop the presses! That's eyebrow raising? What would those critics make of something on the scale of former Adelaide coach Malcolm Blight's legendary "pathetic [David] Pittman" comment back in 1997.

Is a coach now not even allowed to remark that a player was below his best? Or is AFL now at the stage of some junior so-called competitive sport, where everyone has to emerge with some sort of pat on the back?

You can argue about whether Riewoldt's use further up the ground at times is to the benefit of the side, or whether a Coleman medallist should be used as a forward-50 target just three times in a game compared with Vickery's 14.

But a player of eight years, 135 games and 321 goals' experience should be depended upon for more than Riewoldt served up on Saturday night. He knows it, Hardwick knows it, and so did the fans watching. Any reference to the forward line makes it obvious Hardwick is talking at least in part about his gun spearhead. As if we're not all capable of filling in the blanks.

Richmond and its coach have rightly set the bar higher these past couple of seasons. Last year, Hardwick refused to shy away from the expectation his side would play finals. Perhaps this season it's about demanding a certain minimum standard from key members of his team. That's his right, as long as the criticism isn't personal.

Hardwick's wasn't. It referred only to some less-than-sparkling performances in one game of football. And if he isn't given the leeway to even do that, how can his players be expected to develop thick enough skins to be consistent parts of the action at the top end of the ladder?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/naming-hardly-shaming-for-damien-hardwick-20140317-hvjqi.html

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
I don't mind Dimma coming out and naming players that had bad games but IMO he got out coached again.
It's only one game and hopefully we come out against The Blues and show a hell of a lot more. I'm just scared that Hardwick being so pigheaded he refuses to admit that he has got things wrong. He goes into a game with a plan but if it's not working he is to stubborn to change it. We all say he has no plan B but IMO he is just stubborn!
There is a difference between not going to Jack all the time but to move him completely away from goal is just dumb. Dimma played Jack as a half forward on the weekend, what half forward is ever dominate?
Playing Vickory at FF all night again was dumb, as bad as Vickory was, the kicking to him was equally as bad.
But the biggest mistake Dimma is making is Dusty off halfback. He is our most dynamic player and our biggest X factor but Dimma thinks we need to teach him to be more defensive?? If the halfback roll is so important play Lids there and be done with it.
I seriously would love to wipe that stupid grin of Hardwicks face sometimes!
Don't be so f;)king pigheaded Dimma and admit you have made some huge mistake with some of our stars.