Author Topic: Tigers pin hopes on Moneyball buys (David King in Herald-Sun)  (Read 4244 times)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Re: Tigers pin hopes on Moneyball buys (David King in Herald-Sun)
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2014, 04:39:01 PM »
Moneyball doesnt work

Hawthorn and sydney say hello :lol
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2014, 04:48:07 PM »
Moneyball doesnt work

Except Sydney have been recruiting other club's players & rejects for 30 years, long before "moneyball". Hawthorn were already successful, already had a strong list and mostly targeted good players who were valued by their previous clubs and cost relatively high picks, not fringe players & rejects on the cheap to supposedly back up a thin list like we did.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 05:25:48 PM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2014, 05:40:12 PM »
Moneyball doesnt work

Gunston
Lake
Burgoyn
MceVoy

U see in this world u get what u pay for

We paid peanuts and we got monkey ball

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2014, 12:33:19 AM »
Hawthorn are far from the AFL version of 'moneyball'. They give up elite picks and received elite players, that isn't even close to any version of moneyball.

Sydney would be the closest comparison but if you would relate their success to drafting the likes of Mattner, McGlynn and Mattner then you'd be mistaken as they weren't overly effective players, they were good depth players. Sydney have consistently gambled with recycled players and backed their culture every time. Has worked up until recently with Tippett and Franklin looking like they are too much for the Sydney bowl.
Go Tigers!

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2014, 08:31:21 PM »
Al pologist knows more because read a book once.....funny stuff....

If you can't see how moneyball has failed and why it doesn't translate to Australian Rules you're a fool. The "good players but injury -prone" part of the theory should be enough on it's own to tell you why.  How many senior games you really think Chris Knights will actually end up playing for us? Then there's the "exotic locations" part of the theory (don't believe that was in the movie). How many countries play baseball to a high level compared to Australian Football? (to be fair we haven't used that aspect - yet-  but that's what the international rookie list, which falls outside the cap and has been around for years,  is for)) there's the salary cap. Even taking the expansion team concessions into account how many AFL clubs can actually spend 10-20 x on their playing list as smaller clubs like the New York Yankees & Boston Red Sox can compared to the Oakland A's & Minnesota Twins in the MLB? None because they're not allowed and can only spend the same. That's just three examples without even trying.

...and Sydney never officially used "moneyball"....they've been taking recycled players for most of their existence, long before it suddenly became a cool "cutting edge" thing because yanks did it, gave it a snappy name, wrote a book & Hollywood made a crappy movie about it.
i love the way you have to resort to the apologist line just because my opinion is different to yours, as if that somehow make my view less relevent.

and yeah, if you have actually read about something you normally do have more knowledge of the subject than someone that hasnt (personal experience aside, naturally), unless they developed some supernatural physic powers. The concept that you dont need knowledge of a subject to know the subject... now that's the funny stuff.

none of your three "arguments: have any real substance at all

There is no "good players but injury -prone" policy of moneyball. Billy bean did take a small number of players with injury issues, but they bought something else, in a game that is not that athletically based, that more than made up for it. Quite simply, there was no such policy, and even IF there was, anyone with half a brain would be able to work out that it wouldnt transfer to AFL, as with  many aspects of moneyball used by the the As

Exotic Locations? WTF? There was no such policy at all, it just happened that Bean was able to trade some players he thought were the right price were from outside the states, something that is hardly revolutionary in MLB

And the salary cap. it's funny that you are so well versed in the moneyball theory but dont recognise the important part that does translate, what is in fact the core of moneyball

While the MLB does not have a salary, most clubs do have a self imposed salary cap. The A's in particular after their owner died and the new owners cut spending. Beane had a budget to work with each year, the only difference is that it was not set by the League, but by the owners.

This is in fact the whole essesnce of moneyball. To have any hope of competing with the large wealthy clubs, the smaller ones have to spend less money for each run scored,than their wealthy counterparts
To equate that to AFL, in simplistic terms, the more goals you can score (while resticting the enemy, naturally) for each dollar spent, the better off you will be. The salary cap and therefore relatively level playing field (in terms of player spending) makes this even more relevant.

Naturally there are many aspects of what Billy Beane did with the oaklands that will not transfer across, but anyone that has a understanding of what moneyball actually is, and a semblance of an ability for analytical thinking will see that there are aspects that do.

As for sydney. well im not too sure how something like this can be official, but Roos has stated he based his recruiting philosophy on moneyball, that after reading it and doing some research into the numbers associated with our draft he applied the principles that were appropriate.

It was reading this that inspired me to find out more about what moneyball actually is.

Someone may be able to articulate what appears to be a good argument against something, along with a quasi derogatory label or two, but if they dont know what they are talking about , they dont know what they are talking about. you may be able to BS those that dont know any better, but not those with some understanding.

you actally raise an interesting point with Sydney and their 180 turn on recruiting policy, one i am watching with interest.

Just out curiosity, when people talk about applying moneyball principles to AFL, do you really think they are talking about the whole box and dice rather than actually giving some thought to what may transfer and what may not?

surely you are not that simple?

You do understand that you can take other peoples ideas, pick out the parts that are relevent to you and adapt them to your own situation?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Rampstar

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2014, 08:52:36 PM »
And we continue to play like poo.E week in week out using these players from other clubs. Well done to us  :lol

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2014, 01:09:06 AM »
Ted richards

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2014, 01:38:55 AM »
Hawthorn are far from the AFL version of 'moneyball'. They give up elite picks and received elite players, that isn't even close to any version of moneyball.

Sydney would be the closest comparison but if you would relate their success to drafting the likes of Mattner, McGlynn and Mattner then you'd be mistaken as they weren't overly effective players, they were good depth players. Sydney have consistently gambled with recycled players and backed their culture every time. Has worked up until recently with Tippett and Franklin looking like they are too much for the Sydney bowl.

Bang on target Pope again
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2014, 02:42:11 AM »
Awesome that you read a book and are now the final authority on the matter....still.....years later.....in the age of the internet........where shall I start?  The bit where you conveniently downplayed the injury prone good players element and said we didn't try to adapt that to AFL despite Hardwick saying as much in regards to Knights?  Your casual dismissal of the "exoctic locale" element that shows that whilst you may have read the book years ago, you clearly haven't bothered to follow up on any later developments in the proceeding years?

No for me it was the glorious spin you envoked in trying to say how the whims of private owners in the MLB meant there effectively was a kind of salary cap before going on to move the goalposts again by trying to say that moneyball is actually more important within a salary cap....comedy gold right there. You at least score points for sheer audacity.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2014, 03:54:56 PM »
The AFL isn't the MLB, so to expect that an AFL moneyball reference must be exact same to the MLB moneyball to be relevant is a bit over the top. If you look too much into it the MLB moneyball is impossible to replica in the AFL, simple being that the 2 sports aren't the same.

The reference many people on here have made and the media have made is that RFC have traded in players who they believe have the key indicators that win you games but because of other deficiencies aren't in the best 22 at their clubs. They have traded these players in, on the cheap in belief they have the correct mix to win games. That's reasonably close to the MLB moneyball theory without being exact, hence the reference.

We've traded in cheap buys for very little. Low risk for a hope of high reward. Similar to Beans theory of low risk of financial loss in hope that statistically they will produce wins. Unfortunately AFL isn't based around 1 major stat like MLB (home runs) and there are so many indicators that need to be ticked to be successful. So the theory of drafting in recycled players on the cheap was bound to fail as there deficiencies are glaringly obvious in a game of AFL. A player like Grigg might be great in the key stat of quantity of possession but lacks in contested ball and effiicnecy. Example being, whilst we have upgraded Collins to Grigg for cheap and with high upside in 1 particular stat (Moneyball reference) his weaknesses are exposed at AFL level. All recycled players have glaring weaknesses and are exposed every week and cost us in key 1 on 1 battles in cruicial stages of the game.

Thomas has great contested ability but lacks serious pace.
Houli has great half back run, but defensive ability and ability to run both ways are poor.
Chaplin has body size and OK defensive side, but serious lacks in pace and kicking efficiency
Petterd has a dip but kicking efficiency and decision making is Melbourne esque.

I could go on but the moneyball theory is used cause the players we have picked up for cheap have an upside along with a downside, hence being 'recycled' and deemed not good enough by a previous AFL club. The low risk, possible high return theory is moneyball like. Hence the reference. Just like the A's with moneyball, they reached a certain point where they were outclassed by the top teams at the business end of the season.

Richmond's theory has reached the same point.
Go Tigers!

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2014, 05:13:21 PM »
The notion of clubs needing to manage talent within a tight budget isn't new  -  just because a movie was made it doesn't mean the concept was invented.
I always admired Fitzroy for managing their talent in the late 80s and early 90s despite having no money.
Whichever you look at it, however clever the list management strategy, on field performance makes all the difference.
Rampster posts a whole pile of steaming s,hi,te which is premised on a Derryn Hinch like posting style to attract an emotional response from other posters but still gets (and trades) on the point that whatever you do, results matter.
i guess the sun will even shine on a black dogs ars once a while.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2014, 07:25:45 PM »
Awesome that you read a book and are now the final authority on the matter....still.....years later.....in the age of the internet........where shall I start?  The bit where you conveniently downplayed the injury prone good players element and said we didn't try to adapt that to AFL despite Hardwick saying as much in regards to Knights?  Your casual dismissal of the "exoctic locale" element that shows that whilst you may have read the book years ago, you clearly haven't bothered to follow up on any later developments in the proceeding years?

No for me it was the glorious spin you envoked in trying to say how the whims of private owners in the MLB meant there effectively was a kind of salary cap before going on to move the goalposts again by trying to say that moneyball is actually more important within a salary cap....comedy gold right there. You at least score points for sheer audacity.

Oh ok so please explain how having a set speding limit by your owners is different from having a spending limit set by the league?

doesnt it mean the same thing, that you have a limit to your spending?

I never claimed to be an authority, but once again we have the digital thinking. (in the same vein as thinking that you have to take the whole box and dice,and not being able to take the relevant bits)

I originally said that many people dont understand what money ball is. There is nothing wrong with that, we all have things we have limited or no knowledge of, just generally dont try to make out otherwise.

.......or try to belittle someone because they have a inkling of the subject and have the audacity to call someone on their BS.

now, if there are some worthy articles on the internet that you have read on the subject, i would be quite happy, and appreciative, to have a look at them, including the ones you got the info from about the policies of targeting injured players and exotic locations.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2014, 08:45:58 PM »
These long posts do my head in, surely 8 posts are enough on a field

Rampstar

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2014, 11:48:07 PM »
The notion of clubs needing to manage talent within a tight budget isn't new  -  just because a movie was made it doesn't mean the concept was invented.
I always admired Fitzroy for managing their talent in the late 80s and early 90s despite having no money.
Whichever you look at it, however clever the list management strategy, on field performance makes all the difference.
Rampster posts a whole pile of steaming s,hi,te which is premised on a Derryn Hinch like posting style to attract an emotional response from other posters but still gets (and trades) on the point that whatever you do, results matter.
i guess the sun will even shine on a black dogs ars once a while.

:lol

Youre living in your own fantasy filled world where Richmond is a powerhouse and we are decimating other clubs using rejects from other clubs. Reality is we are shi.te and we will struggle to make the eight. As for posting a pile of steaming poo.e compared to the poo.e you post the rest of us are all amateurs lol. Your just an apologist for failure, the type of person who has kept Richmond back for decades, accepting of crap performances from Players and Administrators alike. Give it up HRT the fact is we have been poo.e for 34 years. Any chance you can start to live in reality big fella?  ;D

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2014, 05:24:28 AM »
As Bruce would say "Delicious".
You claim to be a member for 34 years, you want the club to send you a letter to renew and then you spend all the time on this forum bagging the club.
What a sad life  :-[
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.