Author Topic: Our skill level  (Read 979 times)

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
Our skill level
« on: April 18, 2014, 11:05:04 AM »
A common theme through most of the threads on here refer to our poor skill level. I suppose the question is why is it so bad, why can't we recruit skilled players and how do players get through junior ranks and become 24/7 professional footballers when they can't hit a target by hand or foot from a distance of 5 - 20 metres. It just seems that with our game plan being so precise it can't possibly be executed unless you have the necessary skill level across the entire squad. Our clanger levels must be one of the highest in the comp so turnovers are crucifying us week in week out but I don't see how we can turn it around given the players we have.

Gigantor

Re: Our skill level
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 11:10:40 AM »
I wonder Lozza whether our skill looks crap because we appear unfit.Not being able to get to the contest first,or carry the ball ,or front up to contest after contest,does make execution of skills difficult

tony_montana

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 11:12:29 AM »
Grigg
Edwards
Jackson
Pettard
Hampson
Chaplin
Thomas
Morris

I know you cant play 22 players with elite kicking skills, but when you have 7-8 poor kicks in your side simultaneously you cant be surprised at the outcome. Some of these guys bring something extra to the table elsewhere, however its a balancing act and right now we have too many poor kicks in the side to play the style we want. I'd be quite comfortable keeping 3 of the above list in our 22 and expending the rest

the claw

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 11:17:32 AM »
ah the old question that i regularly ask how many poor kicks and  glass half fulls can you play week to week. clearly we are at the too many point.
two yrs ago we had a process in place to address this but its gone out the window.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 11:25:55 AM »
Lack of confidence can also play mind games
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Gigantor

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 11:27:39 AM »
Hard Roar,if indeed its because of lack of confidence is it possible our finals debacle last year has had a lingering effect on this group?

1980 I Was There

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 11:38:14 AM »
A common theme through most of the threads on here refer to our poor skill level. I suppose the question is why is it so bad, why can't we recruit skilled players and how do players get through junior ranks and become 24/7 professional footballers when they can't hit a target by hand or foot from a distance of 5 - 20 metres. It just seems that with our game plan being so precise it can't possibly be executed unless you have the necessary skill level across the entire squad. Our clanger levels must be one of the highest in the comp so turnovers are crucifying us week in week out but I don't see how we can turn it around given the players we have.
Believe it or not, 90% of our players are extremely skillful, I just don't know why, on the day they aren't.
We don't need to get anymore skillful players we just need the skills to shine all at once.

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 11:38:43 AM »
 Along with poor skills it also seems obvious to me that we have players who are mentally weak. Combine these two negative attributes and once pressure is applied we simply implode. It hasn't taken opposition coaches too long to work this out so we are finding that each week we are played one on one which finds us out time after time. It's now where we find out how good our coaching staff are and how we combat this moving forward and develop some way of holding things together given the limitations of the current playing group. Missing Lids has also had a profound effect on the team as he is regularly the player who straightens up our attack, we really don't have anyone else with such penetrating footskills.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 12:11:59 PM »
I just cant believe how bad we have gone.Last season were up there with the best of teams with skills and averaging close to 70% foot effiency.This new gameplan stop and start and not run and carry as we were doing last year plus over use of the football hasn't helped also.I reckon Dimma and his crew have blame also.

I agree we a carrying to many players with poor skills.I said itlast week and say it again you cannot have Jackson and Thomas in the same team they play the same role.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 12:27:21 PM by georgies31 »

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 12:14:59 PM »
Pressure. Teams think we're mentally weak and turn up the heat on us.
We rarely disappoint.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 12:20:59 PM »
Young kids have to be good kicks of the footy. The criteria goes out the window to grab any old recycled player though.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 09:53:41 AM »
Along with poor skills it also seems obvious to me that we have players who are mentally weak. Combine these two negative attributes and once pressure is applied we simply implode. It hasn't taken opposition coaches too long to work this out so we are finding that each week we are played one on one which finds us out time after time. It's now where we find out how good our coaching staff are and how we combat this moving forward and develop some way of holding things together given the limitations of the current playing group. Missing Lids has also had a profound effect on the team as he is regularly the player who straightens up our attack, we really don't have anyone else with such penetrating footskills.
AFL Footifying Australia, RFC Defootifying AFL Players

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 11:08:16 AM »
Spot on.  :clapping
It also highlights the clear lack of on field leadership.
Cotch is a gun but he's only young and will improve in this regard but there is no one else that leads. 
It also highlights that tigeritis has reared its ugly head and a team can never be complacent when it comes to the fixing culture.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 11:21:38 AM »
Grigg
Thomas
Jackson in the same 21 is not sustainable

Chaplin is averaged

Hampson is almost like his Angus graham at times

One of pettards biggest flaws is his lack of elite kicking out of the backline. If he's going to play uncontested loose man in defence his kicking is not damaging enough.

Morris should really be the only one carried due to substandard skill - maybe Jackson also, due to other attributes

Offline Tigershark

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 10:56:43 AM »
It's not just the poor kicking but on many occasions this year I ave seen the easiest of marks under no pressure being fumbled.....It then creates panic and we invariably turn the ball over as we have to kick by foot under pressure...............