Author Topic: Melbourne and Richmond request to play an annual Anzac Eve night match (H-Sun)  (Read 2919 times)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
My mail is the afl are pretty supportive of it, keep your eyes on next years fixture :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
If Eddie is upset about it it has to be a good idea. I haven't heard him complain about the other smaller teams games that occur after the Pies v Dons clash. I think having it first will mean it take away from their game as it will become the first celebration. Has a great deal of potential imo  :thumbsup

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
If Eddie is upset the afl will listen to him and it won't go ahead
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Well we've got Eddie sooking  :wallywink.

Eddie Tells Tigers, Dees To Get Original

Collingwood president flabbergasted by Anzac Day eve match idea

MMM
April 24, 2014

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire has told Richmond and Melbourne to ‘come up with something fresh’ in light of their proposal for an Anzac Day eve match.

Speaking on Triple M’s Hot Breakfast on Thursday, Eddie said we were already ‘oversubscribed’ on Anzac Day with three games featuring on the day this year and attaching another match to the occasion might ‘over-bake the cake’.

One of Eddie’s biggest concerns is the prospect of having two Anzac Day ceremonies back-to-back if the Richmond-Melbourne match got the go-ahead.

Eddie likened that to ‘having Christmas twice’ if that occurred.

Luke Darcy also voiced his concerns over the saturation of one of the country’s most solemn days from a footy perspective and he believes it will be ‘overcooked’ this year as it is with three games.

St Kilda and the Brisbane Lions will do battle in Wellington after the traditional Collingwood-Essendon blockbuster and the day will be rounded out by a match between Fremantle and North Melbourne at Patersons Stadium.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/afl/news/2014/4/collingwood-magpies-president-eddie-mcguire-not-happy-with-idea-from-richmond-tigers-and-melbourne-demons-to-have-an-anzac-day-eve-match/
I thought Christmas had a Christmas eve..... :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
If Eddie is upset about it it has to be a good idea. I haven't heard him complain about the other smaller teams games that occur after the Pies v Dons clash. I think having it first will mean it take away from their game as it will become the first celebration. Has a great deal of potential imo  :thumbsup

The only reason there are 3 games this year is because ANZAC day falls on Friday. Most years there is only one game. Going forward the only other likely to be played is perhaps the game in NZ and that's debatable

next year you will see at least 3 games played because it falls on a Saturday. Next year there will be a game on the eve of ANZAC day because it is a Friday and the AFL have a TV contract to fulfil. Are people seriously of the belief that in 2016 when ANZAC day eve falls on Sunday they are only going to play 1 game. Please!!!!

Sorry Stripes but how you think having first will mean it will take away from their game is staggering to me.

It won't and nor should it.

The ANZAC day game at the MCG is special for so many reasons and that will never change. Suggest people go and experience first hand to understand why it is so special.

Collingwood and Essendon have done so much to get there game where it is today especially away from the actual field that they deserve to have the game. And the significance of it should not be watered down by the AFL or any of the other clubs trying to cash in on it and that seems to be what's happening here

Pains me to say it but I agree with Eddie
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil

The only reason there are 3 games this year is because ANZAC day falls on Friday. Most years there is only one game. Going forward the only other likely to be played is perhaps the game in NZ and that's debatable

next year you will see at least 3 games played because it falls on a Saturday. Next year there will be a game on the eve of ANZAC day because it is a Friday and the AFL have a TV contract to fulfil. Are people seriously of the belief that in 2016 when ANZAC day eve falls on Sunday they are only going to play 1 game. Please!!!!

Sorry Stripes but how you think having first will mean it will take away from their game is staggering to me.

It won't and nor should it.

The ANZAC day game at the MCG is special for so many reasons and that will never change. Suggest people go and experience first hand to understand why it is so special.

Collingwood and Essendon have done so much to get there game where it is today especially away from the actual field that they deserve to have the game. And the significance of it should not be watered down by the AFL or any of the other clubs trying to cash in on it and that seems to be what's happening here

Pains me to say it but I agree with Eddie

Bro, the game should be taken away from Essendendrug and given to us because they're drug cheats.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Hellenic Tiger

Pretty shrewd move by the tigers , could easily see it being bigger than Anzac Day itself,  :clapping :gotigers

Ahaha the league's GF in April. Who needs to play regular finals we've got this. :lol :rollin :lol

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
^ can just imagine playing at metricon the sunday twilight game before tueday  ::) :lol
The Tuesday match would be the last of the round. You could follow it up with an away Monday night game the following week.
The hardest to cover would be a Wednesday night game.
wednesday night would be first of the round with both richmond and Melbourne playing on the Saturday 4 days earlier.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
Agree with Eddie, just jumping on someone else's good idea. 

Too much of that at the RFC these days.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
don't bet on it, there's already think tanks planned to arrest sliding crowd attendances, top of the agenda is maximising public holiday timeslots :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
don't bet on it, there's already think tanks planned to arrest sliding crowd attendances, top of the agenda is maximising public holiday timeslots :shh
Thats my mail BJ! ;D
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
What shyte.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

tony_montana

garbage,  become a good side and every game will be a blockbuster - we'll have real meaningful rivalries coming out of our arses, not all this concocted bullshyte

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
garbage,  become a good side and every game will be a blockbuster - we'll have real meaningful rivalries coming out of our arses, not all this concocted bullshyte

:bow

dwaino