Author Topic: AFL must consider players before changing rules, says Tiger Jackson (afl site)  (Read 610 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
VIDEO: Jacko's press conference ...

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2014-08-19/daniel-jackson-press-conference-august-19th

------------------------------------------------------------------------

AFL must consider players before changing rules, says Tiger Jackson
Ben Guthrie 
afl.com.au
August 20, 2014

AFL PLAYERS are worried by the effects rule changes, brought in by the League to ease congestion, are having on their well-being.

In 2011, the AFL introduced the substitute rule before taking it another step further this season by implementing an interchange cap, with the cut-off point set at 120.

Next season - due to a late start to the fixture because of the Cricket World Cup - the League will also scrap the use of two byes.

AFL Players' Association board member and Richmond midfielder Dan Jackson said it was imperative the League considered future rule changes carefully.

"The game's getting harder and faster. More's being expected of us physically, which then takes its toll mentally," Jackson told AFL.com.au.

"Losing one of the byes is a big loss. Guys really find that mental refreshment – with four days off in the middle of the season – immeasurable.

"If we're talking about lowering caps or dropping subs, we (players) need to be brought to the table and have that conversation."

Despite reports to the contrary, the League this week denied the substitute rule would be abandoned or the interchange cap would be reduced to 80.

Regardless, Jackson said the AFL needed to strongly consider the impact the game had on the fitness and welfare of players.

"We're seeing guys miss more games than normal because of over-exertion related injuries," Jackson said.

"My personal opinion is that that comes as a consequence of the game being played at a very high, fast intensity, but then we're given less opportunity to rest."

The veteran Tiger said he would support any move to scrap the substitute rule.

"The sub rule has played its part in one way, but my personal view is that it's not that necessary," he said.

"The general view of other players, coaches and clubs (is they) don't think it's necessary either."

Jackson said discussions would continue with the relevant parties and the players would push their view.

He also offered up a compromise the players may be prepared to explore.

"As far as equalising games - if you want to do that, why not make it four interchange players plus a sub?" Jackson said.

"Then we get our rest and you have your (interchange) cap at 120."

Jackson has helped the French team as an assistant coach at the 2014 International Cup.

He says it is important that he gives back and helps teach the intricacies of Australian football.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-20/rule-changes-concern-jackson

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero

He says it is important that he gives back and helps teach the intricacies of Australian football.

What the stuff would he know about it?

Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Online tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
I really don't get this whinging about the interchange limit rule.   Less subs means players play for longer on the ground and they optimise their fitness for that.   It's always been your fitness and endurance against the other guy why are they even remotely talking about player safety in that regard.  Are players suddenly going to become suicidal and run till they die, I doubt it.   I think they'll get puffed and slow down.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:20:58 AM by tidyman »

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
I really don't get this whinging about the interchange limit rule.   Less subs means players play for longer on the ground and they optimise their fitness for that.   It's always been your fitness and endurance against the other guy why are they even remotely talking about player safety in that regard.  Are players suddenly going to become suicidal and run till they die, I doubt it.   I think they'll get puffed and slow down.

x 2     :clapping

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
I actually really like the sub because it keeps things even in the event of a serious injury.

Hope it stays, even if it means a 4 man interchange and a sub.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
I actually really like the sub because it keeps things even in the event of a serious injury.

Hope it stays, even if it means a 4 man interchange and a sub.

Yep, although I would prefer to go with 2 and 2.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
HTFU Hackson - this is Hotel Bastardos, you wan't soft toilet paper you go the Hotel Gayboy.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland

I think the likelihood of getting a soft tissue injuries increases if you are knackered and that would be the only "safety" concern.