Author Topic: Benny Gale wants clubs to have a bigger say on fan experience at games (H-Sun)  (Read 415 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL to work with Etihad Stadium and MCG, will give clubs bigger say on fan experience at games

Grant Baker
Herald-Sun
August 21, 2014

THE AFL will work with Etihad Stadium and MCG management to cut red tape and allow clubs a bigger say on fan experience at games.

The league has identified “match-day experience” as an area for improvement in Victoria, where restrictive contracts with stadium operators and logistical difficulties prevent clubs from following the lead of interstate rivals, particularly the Adelaide clubs.

Other work is being done on the fixture and ticketing.

Richmond boss Brendon Gale — who went to Brazil for the World Cup this year — said much could be learned from how FIFA handled the fan experience, and that he feared Victorian clubs were being left behind.

Gale said recently that “we try to provide the best match-day experience we can at the MCG, our home ground, but from the moment they (Tigers fans) walk into the ‘G, apart from what happens on the field (in the match), we lose control”.

Restrictions placed on the Victorian clubs include:

* A LIMIT of 10 minutes for non-commercial airtime and five minutes’ commercial airtime from when gates open.

* NO club personnel in the scoreboard production team.

* COSTS incurred for the placement and removal of temporary signage.

* A $5000 additional clean-up cost at Etihad Stadium if clubs use paper products for promotional purposes.

* THE prohibition and risk of fines if anything (such as footballs or T-shirts) is thrown or propelled into the crowd — as routinely happens in other sports.

* AFL sign-off on any activity outside normal practise.

Victorian teams say their little say on scoreboard content puts them at a disadvantage to interstate teams, who can create a virtual TV show that adds to the partisan feel.

They have also been told they will have even less input at finals matches this year, with the league to assume even more control.

Clubs have been reluctant to pursue online initiatives because of poor internet connectivity, particularly at the MCG.

North Melbourne boss Carl Dilena said there would be “ongoing discussion with those venues as to how we can work together to make it a great event to come to where the home side has some ability to create some activation in the venue”.

“In Victoria it is very, very restrictive at the stadiums because of the setups in terms of what you can do.”

The flow-on effect for clubs is the limited availability and attractiveness for sponsors to contribute to match days.

AFL commercial operations boss Darren Birch said the league knows “home club atmosphere is a really important element of attending matches for many supporters, and Metricon Stadium on the Gold Coast and Adelaide Oval have shown what is possible.

“The AFL is actively working with the clubs and venue managers to identify ways to enhance the ‘home ground’ experience for fans.”

Gale said soccer governing body FIFA controlled every aspect of the fan experience at the World Cup.

“FIFA owned Brazil, they owned the city ... they owned and they controlled the whole experience for fans; what the place looks like and feels like and sounds like and how it is presented,” Gale said on SEN.

“(In Melbourne) there are so many third parties — there are ticket agencies; there are signage companies; there is the venue … and we just lose control.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-to-work-with-etihad-stadium-and-mcg-will-give-clubs-bigger-say-on-fan-experience-at-games/story-fnelctok-1227031173452

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
And we want a bigger say in how to run the club to improve our on field experience  ;D
The Craw - List Management
Jackstar - Senior Coach
Ox - psychologist
Ramps - el presidente (but he has to wear a dress)  :lol
OER - media liaison
Stripes - football manager
Unplugged - destabilising influence in coterie (Mal brown)
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

dwaino

And we want a bigger say in how to run the club to improve our on field experience  ;D
The Craw - List Management
Jackstar - Senior Coach
Ox - psychologist
Ramps - el presidente (but he has to wear a dress)  :lol
OER - media liaison
Stripes - football manager
Unplugged - destabilising influence in coterie (Mal brown)

YBB - club doctor
Bojo - Jon Ralph

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
To improve match day experience the AFL/RFC could:

Demand MCG/Etihad change renegotiate catering contracts immediately or send games to Optus and Punt Road.

Immediately ban those stupid stuffing drums before the game.

Stick the microphone up that pasty bloke's arse who does the Tigers on screen stuff at games and replace with Mick Molloy.

Make a modified version of 'Show me the way to Amarillo' part of the RFC pre game entertainment.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
RFC should have exclusive rights to Punt road end at any Richmond match played at the MCG.
Let's get the simple things right first.
The club that keeps giving.

tony_montana

That's the path the league chose to go down by getting rid of suburbn grounds and clubs agreed to it. Deal with it.