Author Topic: It’s time Richmond makes a stand after disappointing start to 2014: Crawf (H-S)  (Read 578 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
It’s time Richmond makes a stand after disappointing start to 2014

Shane Crawford
Herald-Sun
May 04, 2014

Dear Richmond,

I write this letter with great concern and frustration about what has happened so far in 2014 — and what might come for the rest of the season.

In my view, you’ve been the most disappointing team of 2014 so far. Bar none. That includes Carlton, a team that has come in for the biggest public scrutiny so far, and a team you were lucky to beat earlier this season.

The reality is that you are on the same amount of wins as the Blues right now — two victories — yet somehow you’ve managed to escape the blowtorch that has seared Mick Malthouse’s team.

You shouldn’t have escaped the attention, because what you have produced as a team this year has been nothing short of embarrassing.

This year was meant to be about consolidating your spot within the top eight — perhaps even the top four — and showing that making the finals last season was beginning to be a habit, not a one-off.

Lose against Geelong, and you might as well kiss September away this season. Win the match, and it might provide a platform for turning this ordinary season into a more memorable one.

What has been most disappointing so far this year has seemingly been a lack of hunger that you have produced this season. How the hell can that be the case? What’s there to be satisfied with?

As a football club, you’ve only played in a handful of finals in a generation. If you were satisfied with making an elimination final — and losing it to Carlton — then there has to be something seriously wrong.

The team you are playing, the Cats, would be excused for lacking hunger, except they don’t. So many of them have been tasted premiership success — some multiple times — that you would excuse them for being comfortable.

They are anything but satisfied and will be right there in the running again this season.

Your coach Damien Hardwick said recently that you have improved as a team this year. Surely, that’s not right. There is no evidence to back it up.

It looks as if things have gone completely in the opposite direction and unless things can turn around fast, it is going to be a long, cold and miserable winter.

I like and respect ‘Dimma’, but surely his comment was just rhetoric that not even the fans wouldn’t believe. How could they?

Sure, you’ve had some key players out, including Brett Deledio (who returns), Alex Rance and Ivan Maric, but take a look at every side. None of them are at full strength — you have to make do with what you have got on the field.

The exciting game style of last season; the midfield run and dare; the forward work and attacking pressure; and the hardworking defence that took you to the finals last year have all evaporated.

What you need to do today is to start channelling the fighting spirit of the club’s legendary former coach Tom Hafey, who is fighting his own health battle at the moment.

Hafey personifies that spirit and endeavour. You Tigers could do a lot worse than to think about Tommy today and come out with a passion and a persistence today against the Cats that would make him proud.

It’s a great opportunity for you. There are some potentially winnable games coming up after next week’s bye, but in my mind, your entire season rests on what you can bring to the table today.

C’mon Richmond, it’s time to show us what you really have got.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/shane-crawford-says-its-time-richmond-makes-a-stand-after-disappointing-start-to-2014/story-fndv7pj3-1226904439332

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
closet Richmond supporter
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
Unfortunately if the bottom side had this type of article written about them and they were to play us this weekend i would say no matter our ladder position we would lose. This is attitude is a result of being a Tigers supporter for 35 years and probably echoes the view of many other supporters but it is a sad indictment of the culture of the club and our inability to stand up as a team when our backs are to the wall.

I really hope that the players respond accordingly otherwise i fear that the club will go back to the bad old days of losing all credibility and having teams like Melbourne who were pretty much a basket case not long ago just stroll past us as if we are standing still. Its a defining game for the club and will surely settle once and for all who really wants to play for the Tigers jumper (although some that should be playing are already VFL bound due to a deluded coach). Those who cant manage to lift themselves for such a game I would consider to be merely passengers on the journey and should be banished to the VFL for eternity.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
I hope the players don't read this in the morning, we will lose by more if they did
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
It’s time Richmond makes a stand after disappointing start to 2014

Dear Richmond,

I write this letter with great concern and frustration about what has happened so far in 2014 — and what might come for the rest of the season.

In my view, you’ve been the most disappointing team of 2014 so far. Bar none. That includes Carlton, a team that has come in for the biggest public scrutiny so far, and a team you were lucky to beat earlier this season.

Correct.  :clapping

This year was meant to be about consolidating your spot within the top eight — perhaps even the top four — and showing that making the finals last season was beginning to be a habit, not a one-off.

Lose against Geelong, and you might as well kiss September away this season. Win the match, and it might provide a platform for turning this ordinary season into a more memorable one.

What has been most disappointing so far this year has seemingly been a lack of hunger that you have produced this season. How the hell can that be the case? What’s there to be satisfied with?

As a football club, you’ve only played in a handful of finals in a generation. If you were satisfied with making an elimination final — and losing it to Carlton — then there has to be something seriously wrong.

Correct. Tigeritis!  :clapping :clapping

Your coach Damien Hardwick said recently that you have improved as a team this year. Surely, that’s not right. There is no evidence to back it up.

It looks as if things have gone completely in the opposite direction and unless things can turn around fast, it is going to be a long, cold and miserable winter.

I like and respect ‘Dimma’, but surely his comment was just rhetoric that not even the fans wouldn’t believe. How could they?
[/color]

Correct! We didn't! :clapping :clapping :clapping

The exciting game style of last season; the midfield run and dare; the forward work and attacking pressure; and the hardworking defence that took you to the finals last year have all evaporated.

What you need to do today is to start channelling the fighting spirit of the club’s legendary former coach Tom Hafey, who is fighting his own health battle at the moment.

Hafey personifies that spirit and endeavour. You Tigers could do a lot worse than to think about Tommy today and come out with a passion and a persistence today against the Cats that would make him proud.

It’s a great opportunity for you. There are some potentially winnable games coming up after next week’s bye, but in my mind, your entire season rests on what you can bring to the table today.

C’mon Richmond, it’s time to show us what you really have got.

Correct!  Do it for Tommy!  :clapping :clapping :clapping :clapping
The club that keeps giving.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
These articles get written about clubs and players all the time and they lift. Can't wait to see how we respond.  ::)

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
In a funny sort of way, and our win-loss record doesn’t indicate this, but we are a better side than last year, which is important to us. ;D
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
closet Richmond supporter
Crawf barracked for the Tigers as a kid. He's also a big fan of Hardwick's.

Good article from Crawf too. Nails it by questioning our lack of will to fight, our lack of hunger, our lack of intensity, our lack of a killer instinct and our lack of working as a team. Tactics, structures, etc mean nothing if you don't turn up mentally, emotionally and physically ready to commit yourself to play 4 quarters of footy. Instead we have too many easily satisfied, too many mentally fragile and too many expecting others to stand up and carry the load while trying to get away with doing only the minimal they can get away with. Clearly not just onfield either with raft of the excuses the Club has dished out in recent weeks. What has happened this year and what we have dished up onfield is just not good enough whatever the reasons, issues and excuses.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Big article = Big Loss
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
In a funny sort of way, and our win-loss record doesn’t indicate this, but we are a better side than last year, which is important to us. ;D

It was a lamentable comment.
I was also disappointed with Bennys comment about the compromised draft. Too late sunshine, you won 14 games last year so the horse has bolted. Furthermore, he made the 3-0-75 statement so Benny - seriously mate - we've done our bit so now it's over to you.
The competition is ridiculously even so we can win multiple games if we can get our game going (which looks unlikely).
However with the leadership at the club making uninspiring statements like "we have injuries" "it's a compromised draft" & "in a funny way we are better this year" they appear to be subversively talking down our chances of playing finals this year after 6 rounds.
Not good enough and the board that elected itself should be stepping in and holding these guys to account.
With off field leadership like this, im not overly surprised our on field leadership is struggling.

“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.