Author Topic: Lids 200th Game this Week, reckons we can still make Finals  (Read 1298 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Richmond star Brett Deledio says Tigers can still play finals, but clueless as to what's gone wrong
by: Sam Landsberger

BRETT Deledio says Richmond can still storm into this year’s finals but admits he too is clueless as to why the Tigers’ progression has spectacularly nosedived.

On the eve of his 200th match, Deledio also refuted suggestions the 16th-placed Tigers had not given chances to their youth.

“Absolutely we can (play finals),” the star midfielder said today.

“We won’t be giving up on those aspirations, we know it’s going to be hard work but that’s what you play the game for.”

The Tigers, who face the Giants in Sydney on Saturday, appeared flat as they quietly filed into Punt Rd from 7am this morning, carrying suits ahead of legend Tom Hafey’s MCG funeral.

Richmond steadily improved in Hardwick’s first three years before recording 15 wins to soar to 5th last year, but club great Matthew Richardson said that was a flattering finish.

Deledio, like coach Damien Hardwick and captain Trent Cotchin, said the Tigers were searching for answers.

“If I had the answer to that I’d be a coach myself,” he said.

“I don’t know, we’re searching for it and we’re trying to find it. We’re training hard and we’re definitely staying united and getting around each other, I can’t explain it or put my finger on it, if I did I’d be a genius.”

He said the Tigers were playing OK footy but had lacked composure, particularly in final quarters. He also said effort and fitness were not problems.

Richardson yesterday cast doubt on the futures of some Tigers, declaring: “They’ve got to now make a decision which way they go in the second half of this year, whether they play a few new players and go past a couple.”

But Deledio praised the rejuvenation.

“There’s not too many kids who can come in and play, most of them have had a crack,” Deledio said, pointing to Matt McDonough, debutant Ben Lennon and Sam Lloyd all featuring in Saturday’s disastrous loss to Melbourne.

Richmond’s 2-6 start is its worst since 2010, Hardwick’s first at the helm, and Deledio said GWS would not be an easy assignment.

“I haven’t won a milestone game yet, so I’m hoping we can get one up there,” he said.

“They’re a young and upcoming side, like we were a few years ago, so they’ll be putting their best foot forward and taking it right up to us.”

Deledio has raced to the milestone, with an Achilles injury this year sidelining him for the first time since late 2007.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-star-brett-deledio-says-tigers-can-still-play-finals-but-clueless-as-to-whats-gone-wrong/story-fni5f9jb-1226922391757
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Lids 200th Game this Week, reckons we can still make Finals
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 10:58:20 AM »
Deledio is deluded if he thinks any of them are going to play finals. They lucky to just scrape in 2 pathetic wins over clubs worse than us. He will feel like his played 350 games when GWS beat them this coming week. Wake up Brett you goose.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 11:20:52 AM »
Milestone game = guaranteed loss. :banghead
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 11:44:03 AM »
Milestone game = guaranteed loss. :banghead

would we just like to see the lads win something to get a bit of confidence going in the side. Bring in Ivan for scare tactics.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 11:47:31 AM »
Fear is a cancer.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 11:50:30 AM »
200 games and 1 final... There must be days he wishes he never got drafted by Richmond.

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 11:56:24 AM »
200 games and 1 final... There must be days he wishes he never got drafted by Richmond.

watching the replay here he was trying his guts out but always had 2 demon players attacking him everytime.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 11:56:57 AM »
We will beat GWS this week
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Rampstar

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 12:04:19 PM »

We probably will but does it really mean anything? Anything of substance?

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 12:16:59 PM »

We probably will but does it really mean anything? Anything of substance?

if it instills confidence & gives us peace of mind for a week YES  ;D it means everything to win

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 12:20:07 PM »
Listening to the audio grab on SEN, the thing that scared me is lids said we will not be making much changes this week as weve already given a number of young players a go, rattled off names like lennon, gordon, lloyd etc. So they are stuffing deluded they are not going to play those that earn a spot like miles etc. They will keep on gifting these same senior players who never get dropped and stiffle our development.

The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »
Look at the footage in the 3rd quarter where Dawes kicks a goal and Lids runs away from him
Too many players won't do the hard things at Punt Rd
It is like cancer
Need to get Ivan back to fly the flag as Vickery Griffiths and co wave the hanky and the rest follow suit
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:16:18 PM by Jackstar is back!!! »

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 02:52:28 PM »
We couldn't, do it for Hafey, Lids doesn't, have a chance
Lots of people name their swords......

the claw

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 06:00:18 PM »
Listening to the audio grab on SEN, the thing that scared me is lids said we will not be making much changes this week as weve already given a number of young players a go, rattled off names like lennon, gordon, lloyd etc. So they are stuffing deluded they are not going to play those that earn a spot like miles etc. They will keep on gifting these same senior players who never get dropped and stiffle our development.
aint delusion grand. it is hilarious just how people delude themselves.
can see it now instead of finishing 16th geez thats even worse than i thought i thought we could finish as low as 14th.  we will win  meaningless games finish 12th or something and miss the chance to have a crack at the likes of sam durdin or trade a good second round pick for jaksch.
delusion is a very destructive thing.

as for kids to play. well how about on a rotation basis  arnot, conca, darrou, dea, ellis, elton, griffiths, grimes, helbig, lennon, martin,mcdonough,mcintosh, miles, o hanlon, vlastuin and williams none of whom would be older than 22.
this article  shows just how out of touch with reality some of the players are.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 06:10:18 PM »
Finish 16th and get the freaking picks. Locked and loaded for 2015   :)
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH