Author Topic: Richmond vs St Kilda - Round 15, 2014  (Read 4698 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond vs St Kilda - Round 15, 2014
« on: June 23, 2014, 01:29:15 PM »
Round 15 - ST KILDA vs RICHMOND

2:10 PM, June 28, 2014, Etihad Stadium

--------------------------------------------------

St Kilda could be without in-form veteran Lenny Hayes for Saturday's clash with Richmond after the midfielder pulled up sore at Monday's recovery session.

Coach Alan Richardson described the 34-year-old as 50-50 to take on the Tigers as the Saints prepare for an opportunity to climb off the bottom of the ladder.

Alan Richardson was at the MCG on Friday night to watch Richmond fade and eventually lose to the Sydney Swans after an impressive first half. 

He said his team's improved defensive effort against the Eagles would need to be repeated against the Tigers, who are level with the last-placed Saints on three wins.   

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-23/lenny-only-5050

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond vs St Kilda - Round 15, 2014
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 01:49:26 PM »
Must Lose game, need best draft positioning

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 08:42:44 PM »
I have to work Saturday morning (fin year stocktake), hoping it goes longer  :'(
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 08:46:41 PM »
I have to work Saturday morning (fin year stocktake), hoping it goes longer  :'(

I'm going out for breakfast with the family. Might turn it into lunch also and a spot of shopping with the good lady and the little one. We'll see what Dimma and co serve me up at about 6:25 on Thursday. :help

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 02:00:23 PM »
Preview: St Kilda v Richmond
Nathan Schmook 
afl.com.au
June 25, 2014

Who would have thought Richmond would find itself in a battle to avoid the wooden spoon in round 15? Locked on three wins each, the Tigers (16th) and Saints (18th) have endured forgettable seasons, but the expectations were much higher for Damien Hardwick's men. They take improved form into Saturday's clash after pushing the Sydney Swans for a half last Friday night, but the Saints were also encouraged by their defensive efforts against the Eagles, despite falling 33 points short. Both sides should be desperate to regain some respect.

WHERE AND WHEN: Etihad Stadium, Saturday June 28, 2.10pm

LAST FIVE TIMES
R14, 2013, Richmond 17.17 (119) d St Kilda 8.7 (55) at MCG
R2, 2013, Richmond 14.15 (99) d St Kilda 12.10 (82) at MCG
R10, 2012, Richmond 18.13 (121) d St Kilda 16.17 (113) at Etihad Stadium
R2, 2011, St Kilda 13.17 (95) drew with Richmond 14.11 (95) at MCG
R21, 2010, St Kilda 17.13 (115) d Richmond 14.10 (94) at Etihad Stadium

Want to watch the game LIVE? Click here for your free trial of AFL Live Pass

THE SIX POINTS

1. Richmond defeated St Kilda by 64 points the last time the sides met with Trent Cotchin picking up three Brownlow votes. Jack Riewoldt and Dan Jackson kicked three goals each.

2. The Saints continue to struggle to hit the scoreboard and are ranked 17th for points scored, averaging 64 per game. They have kicked 10 goals or fewer in each of their past four games.

3. St Kilda has dominated Richmond at Etihad Stadium, winning 10 of the past 11 clashes. The clubs drew when they met at the MCG in 2011.

4. Jack Riewoldt is the No.1 player in 2014 for marks inside 50, taking an average of 4.5 per game. Nick Riewoldt is also in the top 10 with 2.6 per game.

5. Riewoldt enjoys playing the Saints more than any opposition, kicking 33 goals in nine games, including four hauls of six and three bags of seven.

6. Richmond defender Alex Rance jumped eight spots in the Official AFL Player Ratings, brought to you by Gatorade, after his entertaining duel with Lance Franklin in round 14. He is now ranked No.104 overall and No.5 among defenders.

Prediction: Richmond by 38 points

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-25/preview-st-kilda-v-richmond

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 10:31:45 PM »
Must Lose game, need best draft positioning
If we can jag one loss in the next two weeks we are looking good for a top 3 pick. What a shame we have the saints twice in the run home. Carlton are the danger of stealing pick 3 from us, they will be lucky to get 1 more win for the season. The other sides on 4 wins are in good enough form to get another win or two.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 11:58:28 PM »
Geez even the Saints are resting players like Lenny Hayes against the Tigers.

Feels like pre-2011.

Rampstar

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 12:59:57 PM »
I hope we lose. Its in the best interests of the RFC that we lose.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 01:20:32 PM »

Why ?  All the recruiters are saying the draft is a lottery this year. Pick 1 through to pick 8 could get drafted in any order and even if we got the first pick I wouldn't be confident we'd get it right. Always best to try and win or else you end up with Melbourne's losing culture. We've got enough culture problems of our own without adding that one.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 09:01:15 PM »
Never ever want to lose but this is just a massive non event, don't know wtf I'm bothering to go to be honest.
Oh free ticket with 16 game membership for tigers, lol@getting desperate :help

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 12:17:01 AM »

Why ?  All the recruiters are saying the draft is a lottery this year. Pick 1 through to pick 8 could get drafted in any order and even if we got the first pick I wouldn't be confident we'd get it right. Always best to try and win or else you end up with Melbourne's losing culture. We've got enough culture problems of our own without adding that one.

I don't buy that meaningless wins in junk time of a failed season build a "winning culture". Only wins when the stakes are high matter. How many of the times we've come home with a wet sail after the season is shot and got up to mid-table finish have actually translated into success the following year? All it seems to do at Richmond is paper over cracks, cause us to get ahead of ourselves and overrate the list again. It's amazing how Port won stuff all for two years then suddenly got a good coach, top line fitness staff and managed to turn it all around immediately. Melbourne have a been a complete rabble for about five of the last six years....get a good coach, smart trades & drafting on top of all the top picks they've accumulated and are suddenly playing with twice the desire, skill & intent, that will eventually translate into success. Hell, even Jack Watts is looking like he actually wants to be there.

Even back in 2005 after our last wooden spoon in 2004 which IIRC ended with 14 consecutive losses, we got a new coach, who for all his flaws was at least better than Frawley, snagged Deledio and were well on track for the finals until our (and arguably the competition's) best player that year broke his leg.

Identifying and dealing with the deficiencies, smart recruiting, new people with a new attitude & higher standards are more likely to usher in a winning culture than meaningless wins from the season before. If anything I think the latter is ultimately detrimental at Richmond for the reasons I've stated.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying tank, I'm saying get blokes carrying niggles & injuries like Cotchin & Morris fit for the pre-season, play the kids, with simple instructions to take the game on not worry about mistakes or the scoreboard and just let the chips fall where they may.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:46:31 AM by Diocletian »
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 04:39:22 AM »

Just to be clear, I'm not saying tank, I'm saying get blokes carrying niggles & injuries like Cotchin & Morris fit for the pre-season, play the kids, with simple instructions to take the game on not worry about mistakes or the scoreboard and just let the chips fall where they may.

What he said.

:thumbsup

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 05:35:33 AM »
How does Vickery get a game when the Big O is flying ?
Vickery washing and polishing the coaches cars
That called getting a game on performance

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 05:41:05 AM »
How does Vickery get a game when the Big O is flying ?

You know the answer.

:lol

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 06:38:59 AM »

Might be able to do a trade like pick 1 to gws for 5 and shiel or patton.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do