Author Topic: Richmond vs St Kilda - Round 15, 2014  (Read 4614 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond vs St Kilda - Round 15, 2014
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 07:53:04 AM »

Just to be clear, I'm not saying tank, I'm saying get blokes carrying niggles & injuries like Cotchin & Morris fit for the pre-season, play the kids, with simple instructions to take the game on not worry about mistakes or the scoreboard and just let the chips fall where they may.

What he said.

:thumbsup

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 09:24:40 AM »

Just to be clear, I'm not saying tank, I'm saying get blokes carrying niggles & injuries like Cotchin & Morris fit for the pre-season, play the kids, with simple instructions to take the game on not worry about mistakes or the scoreboard and just let the chips fall where they may.

What he said.

Even though the big Dioc isnt all there, this time he is spot on

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 10:33:05 AM »
I hope we lose. Its in the best interests of the RFC that we lose.

Why ?  All the recruiters are saying the draft is a lottery this year. Pick 1 through to pick 8 could get drafted in any order and even if we got the first pick I wouldn't be confident we'd get it right. Always best to try and win or else you end up with Melbourne's losing culture. We've got enough culture problems of our own without adding that one.

I don't buy that meaningless wins in junk time of a failed season build a "winning culture". Only wins when the stakes are high matter. How many of the times we've come home with a wet sail after the season is shot and got up to mid-table finish have actually translated into success the following year? All it seems to do at Richmond is paper over cracks, cause us to get ahead of ourselves and overrate the list again. It's amazing how Port won stuff all for two years then suddenly got a good coach, top line fitness staff and managed to turn it all around immediately. Melbourne have a been a complete rabble for about five of the last six years....get a good coach, smart trades & drafting on top of all the top picks they've accumulated and are suddenly playing with twice the desire, skill & intent, that will eventually translate into success. Hell, even Jack Watts is looking like he actually wants to be there.

Even back in 2005 after our last wooden spoon in 2004 which IIRC ended with 14 consecutive losses, we got a new coach, who for all his flaws was at least better than Frawley, snagged Deledio and were well on track for the finals until our (and arguably the competition's) best player that year broke his leg.

Identifying and dealing with the deficiencies, smart recruiting, new people with a new attitude & higher standards are more likely to usher in a winning culture than meaningless wins from the season before. If anything I think the latter is ultimately detrimental at Richmond for the reasons I've stated.

I agree.  All I was really saying is I don't think the positives outweigh the negatives when teams tank. Didn't work for Melbourne or Carlton.
Oh and you can forget about the ' play the kids ' bit. Hardwick has said he won't be doing that.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 11:03:47 AM »
I hope we lose. Its in the best interests of the RFC that we lose.

Why ?  All the recruiters are saying the draft is a lottery this year. Pick 1 through to pick 8 could get drafted in any order and even if we got the first pick I wouldn't be confident we'd get it right. Always best to try and win or else you end up with Melbourne's losing culture. We've got enough culture problems of our own without adding that one.

Might be able to do a trade like pick 1 to gws for 5 and shiel or patton.

I would take Dylan Shiel in a heartbeat. Tough as nails that kid and clearly GWS best when we played them a month or so ago. Has played some wonderful footy for GWS this year. :thumbsup

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 11:41:08 AM »

What he said.

x5  :thumbsup

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 11:55:13 AM »

What he said.

Sadly Richmond are morons

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 02:33:52 PM »

What he said.

Yet we have to get wins to keep the fans happy.

Oh and x6

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 02:22:03 AM »

Might be able to do a trade like pick 1 to gws for 5 and shiel or patton.

Not a chance

Rampstar

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 09:56:35 AM »
winning any games will give the bozos running the club the view that all is well and we will spend the next 20 years being poo. they need to understand that our list is poo. that is all. its complete utter poo.

Gigantor

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2014, 10:42:35 AM »
We have finished in the bottom half of the ladder more or less ever since the draft began(20 years ago),we have had a hatfull of top 10 or 20 picks ,and it hasn't made a scrap of difference .We all here talk about changing the culture of the club ,a good start would be to get a winning culture.

Rampstar

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2014, 10:49:50 AM »
theyre mentally broken down at Punt Road but they dont realise it. The players are broken, the administration doesnt know what its doing, they whole place is for the tip.

Gigantor

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2014, 10:53:04 AM »
If the problem is mental and my gut feeling is you're right,then our main priority should be not finishing as low as possible but rather enlisting people of character and substance to the club,people who don't throw the towel in.And I'm talking both on field and off field

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2014, 11:08:56 AM »
Work is done

And

I've decided to

Go to the game, only because it is Dusty Matin's 100th and he deserve a decent crowd for this milestone
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Gigantor

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2014, 11:13:59 AM »
celebrate with dusty,because given our track record in milestone games it probably wont mean a flying toss bag to his team mates

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2014, 12:55:18 PM »
Petterd the sub.

Final teams #AFLSaintsTigers - No changes.

Subs:
Darren Minchington (@stkildafc)
Ricky Petterd (@Richmond_FC)

Source: AFL twitter.